Sign in to follow this  
halfhalfhalf

semi state brackets

It looks like last years state placement made a big difference. Stray over Smith. Nance over TKC. Savage over Orneals and Brooksbank. 

10 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

It looks like last years state placement made a big difference. Stray over Smith. Nance over TKC. Savage over Orneals and Brooksbank. 

I think you have to look a little closer at 220.  Orneals has wins over Brooksbank and Elliston.  Savage has the head to head over Orneals and is 1-1 against Brooksbank.  Elliston has a win over Savage.

Just looking at how broken seeding is in the 3/4 semi state we have:

-Wilson (reg 3 runner up at 152) seeded below the 3rd place from the same region

- Hutcheson  (reg 4 runner up at 170) seeded EIGHTH :blink:

-Votaw (reg 3 runner up at 220) seeded below the 3rd place from the same region that he beat in the semis

With criteria that didn’t take regional placement into consideration it appears you may have been better off getting more matches (for head to head and common opponent seeding points) in the consols than actually doing well in regionals  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

I think you have to look a little closer at 220.  Orneals has wins over Brooksbank and Elliston.  Savage has the head to head over Orneals and is 1-1 against Brooksbank.  Elliston has a win over Savage.

Such a tangled web. Makes this more fun. 

4 minutes ago, CoachBauer said:

Just looking at how broken seeding is in the 3/4 semi state we have:

-Wilson (reg 3 runner up at 152) seeded below the 3rd place from the same region

- Hutcheson  (reg 4 runner up at 170) seeded EIGHTH :blink:

-Votaw (reg 3 runner up at 220) seeded below the 3rd place from the same region that he beat in the semis

With criteria that didn’t take regional placement into consideration it appears you may have been better off getting more matches (for head to head and common opponent seeding points) in the consols than actually doing well in regionals  

Regional finishing was used just as a match. 1 win/1 loss. 

5 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

Region 3&4 113 only has 5 kids.

1&2 is stacked with 113 kids. Teusch, Jenkins, Beltran, or Griffith sit home while Lutrell and Plumeri wrestle 1 match to go. 

1 hour ago, The Whizzer(d) said:

One kid didn't show up, one kid didn't make weight, Moore wasn't allowed to wrestle. We can't blame Lutrell and Plumeri for that.

I don’t think you should blame the kids who were ready to wrestle. Not their fault and they are most definitely not at fault. But, it does make me wonder why participation is so low in those regions? This semi state stuff also guarantees kids from every part of the state, a state medal.  

3 hours ago, DrBaker said:

1&2 is stacked with 113 kids. Teusch, Jenkins, Beltran, or Griffith sit home while Lutrell and Plumeri wrestle 1 match to go. 

1&2 in general is stacked alot of the weights have 4-6 kids that could place. Same with 5&6.

• Upvote 1

The seeding is absolute garbage. Preference given to record over common sense. Multi-time State placers seeded below a State Qualifier. Region runner-up seeded below the 3rd-place finisher, multiple times. One weight class the 1 through 4 place finisher (Region 1) all seeded above the 1 through 4 placers (region 2). Stupid. I agree with seeding, but it feels like they did it in the worst possible way, just to say “see we finally seeded it and you’re still complaining”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

I don’t think you should blame the kids who were ready to wrestle. Not their fault and they are most definitely not at fault. But, it does make me wonder why participation is so low in those regions? This semi state stuff also guarantees kids from every part of the state, a state medal.  

Yes those already lower participation regions weren't helped with Moore getting completely shut out, kids not in school, not being able to pick up any new kids in off season, and probably some kids giving up the sport during the layoff.  We can all learn from the wrestling culture created and developed by Union County and the pride, ownership, investment and promotion that is embraced by the whole community there. We all agree there will be a few kids that place in a few weight classes that wouldn't have. Who knows, maybe that will help promote participation if a few other kids hear of some success.  Sorry to the kids that would have earned a lower placing but don't get that chance.  The Top several spots will be earned by the kids that would have earned them due credit should be celebrated for them. At this point we need to make it as positive as we can beating it down and negativity won't attract more wrestlers or fans.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

Wrestling is and always has been an extreme afterthought to AD’s in Louisville. The only time public schools in Louisville have had any success it has been directly because of insanely driven head coaches. Seneca, Southern, Fern Creek. When the coaches leave, so does the success. The same can be said of Moore and Coach Thomas although he is obviously still there. 

• Like 1

Well I hate to say it but "I told you so".  Seeding the state/ Semi state is not a good idea.  What one person believes is the correct seed two others will disagree.  

At least with a random draw at state the region champs are separated until the quarters then all hell breaks loose.  Seeding can throw that all in the crapper. 

220 at semi state 3 (region 5 and 6) a kid who got third in region 6 got the 1st seed. Why even bother wrestling the placement round at region. 

56 minutes ago, naplesme said:

The seeding is absolute garbage. Preference given to record over common sense. Multi-time State placers seeded below a State Qualifier. Region runner-up seeded below the 3rd-place finisher, multiple times. One weight class the 1 through 4 place finisher (Region 1) all seeded above the 1 through 4 placers (region 2). Stupid. I agree with seeding, but it feels like they did it in the worst possible way, just to say “see we finally seeded it and you’re still complaining”

I see where Kellett got screwed. 

13 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

That can mess somethings up. Can someone tell me me how they get seed points? 

BA48703C-969E-414C-9CC5-0D9A1CE088B5.jpeg

13 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

None of this makes any sense! Why would King wrestle Fortier, first round, again? The whole bracket does not even resemble State first round, not even close! Its truly a travesty to our wrestlers! 

42 minutes ago, Punisher 61 said:

None of this makes any sense! Why would King wrestle Fortier, first round, again? The whole bracket does not even resemble State first round, not even close! Its truly a travesty to our wrestlers! 

It’s like a magical made up number. 

7 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Well I hate to say it but "I told you so".  Seeding the state/ Semi state is not a good idea.  What one person believes is the correct seed two others will disagree.  

At least with a random draw at state the region champs are separated until the quarters then all hell breaks loose.  Seeding can throw that all in the crapper. 

220 at semi state 3 (region 5 and 6) a kid who got third in region 6 got the 1st seed. Why even bother wrestling the placement round at region. 

I see 5 (Leicht, Brooksbank, Savage, Orneals, Elliston) kids that, in a normal year, should place at State. Unfortunately, only 2 will move on to the Championship matches.

The individual regions were already seeded and wrestled. This is where seeding for Semi-state should come from. Semi-state is only dealing with two regions. Why aren’t the Region champs put at opposite ends of the bracket. They go with opposite region 4th place. Region runner ups goes on opposite side from the Champ from their region, to wrestle opposite region 3rd.  

Reg1 1st vs Reg2 4th

Reg2 2nd vs Reg1 3rd

Reg1 2nd vs Reg2 3rd

Reg2 1st vs Reg1 4th

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wrestling123 said:

The individual regions were already seeded and wrestled. This is where seeding for Semi-state should come from. Semi-state is only dealing with two regions. Why aren’t the Region champs put at opposite ends of the bracket. They go with opposite region 4th place. Region runner ups goes on opposite side from the Champ from their region, to wrestle opposite region 3rd.  

Reg1 1st vs Reg2 4th

Reg2 2nd vs Reg1 3rd

Reg1 2nd vs Reg2 3rd

Reg2 1st vs Reg1 4th

Because for years people have wanted seeding at the state tourney.  If you seed  only 2 regions this is what you get.  It is very likely that you will wrestle someone from your own region. 

8 hours ago, DrBaker said:

The seed points come from the KHSAA criteria: head to head, common opponent, state placement, win percentage. Track compared each wrestler to every other wrestler in their bracket. For each comparison whoever had criteria was awarded one seeding point. If it was a complete tie each wrestler was awarded 1/2 seeding point.