Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Khsaa update

It’s a double elimination tournament (semi/state). But, if someone places 3rd in semi state, they are unable to compete the following week even though they only have one loss. A semi state runner up has 1 loss, but has an opportunity to win a state title. Can someone help me understand? Surely they aren’t this inept.

• Like 1

Region 1 and 2 get to send wrestlers to Owensboro and Inez, they did figure a way to get their top 4. Poor old regions 7 & 8 not even listed.  That’s a loooong haul to Martin County for you boys from Western Ky. LOL

The 8th place wrestlers at state will likely lose their last 4 matches. 
Coming back through semistate to get 3rd only helps the top 3 teams going for a team title. 

21 minutes ago, bestmistake33 said:

Doesn’t this put it in the bag for Johnson Central?

I disagree. Still a lot of wrestling to do, but I still think Union will be the favorite with Ryle right there. Johnson Central is obviously a super tough team and will be in the hunt no doubt. Could be an exciting 3 team battle. 

9 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

I disagree. Still a lot of wrestling to do, but I still think Union will be the favorite with Ryle right there. Johnson Central is obviously a super tough team and will be in the hunt no doubt. Could be an exciting 3 team battle. 

Agreed. 7 has a lot of tough kids that jc will have to get through. I think big winner could be Trinity. Late state in Louisville,  plus being paired with a small region at semi state, could be a big advantage for them.

9 minutes ago, plantmanky1 said:

Irony, hosting state wrestling championships at a school that doesn't have wrestling.  

Flashback to the 80's, 90's when held at Atherton high School when they did not have a team. 

Sorry just looked. They had a team in the 90's their first state qualifier was in 1990. 

GRC gym capacity of 4200. Looks like 3 mats on the floor. GRC’s new gym to open Feb. 11 - Winchester Sun | Winchester Sun 

Not sure 15% capacity is enough for 112 wrestlers + 100 coaches(approx.) + 448 spectators for wrestlers +  30 refs/table workers/KHSAA persons. Total 690 persons. 15% of 4200 is 630.

I wonder if admission will be $35/person like the Horse Park? LOL. Heavy Sarcasm intended.

32 minutes ago, BigBossMan said:

100 coaches(approx

This brings up a big question.  How many teams will actually be represented on that final weekend?

Looks like 92 teams were represented last year with 50 teams having a placer. If my Ole Fashion math works then that means 42 teams would not be represented this year. 

57 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Looks like 92 teams were represented last year with 50 teams having a placer. If my Ole Fashion math works then that means 42 teams would not be represented this year. 

That is probably accurate. Honestly could see it being even less. 

KHSAA really sacrificed here.  

From KHSAA HQ in Lexington, it was a 15 minute commute to the horse park.

From KHSAA HQ in Lexington to GRC, it’s a 25 minute commute.  

1 minute ago, bestmistake33 said:

KHSAA really sacrificed here.  

From KHSAA HQ in Lexington, it was a 15 minute commute to the horse park.

From KHSAA HQ in Lexington to GRC, it’s a 25 minute commute.  

Don’t worry, they’ll get mileage.

2 hours ago, BigBossMan said:

GRC gym capacity of 4200. Looks like 3 mats on the floor. GRC’s new gym to open Feb. 11 - Winchester Sun | Winchester Sun 

Not sure 15% capacity is enough for 112 wrestlers + 100 coaches(approx.) + 448 spectators for wrestlers +  30 refs/table workers/KHSAA persons. Total 690 persons. 15% of 4200 is 630.

I wonder if admission will be $35/person like the Horse Park? LOL. Heavy Sarcasm intended.

Could 2 sessions be possible?  It would cut the numbers in half and allow for more fans ( teammates, grandparents, and others to attend).

I said this yesterday on a different thread. With increased numbers allowed let top 3 from each semi final and make it a 12 man tournament. Top 4 seeds go to all semi final winners give them a bye and seed them. Then seed the rest of the 8 remaining wrestlers and place top 8. This will solve the problem of true 2nd and the top ranked kids would have a shot of getting to the podium. We still have two weeks before regionals maybe they will see this and change it for the better.

2 hours ago, panthers said:

I said this yesterday on a different thread. With increased numbers allowed let top 3 from each semi final and make it a 12 man tournament. Top 4 seeds go to all semi final winners give them a bye and seed them. Then seed the rest of the 8 remaining wrestlers and place top 8. This will solve the problem of true 2nd and the top ranked kids would have a shot of getting to the podium. We still have two weeks before regionals maybe they will see this and change it for the better.

12 is viable. However, you can still do 16 man brackets and 2 sessions on Friday. Run final rounds on Saturday like the Atherton days. Or waive the 5 match rule like West Virginia. 

• Like 1