Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

State news

thanks for sharing. Shouldn't the regions be randomly drawn for semi-state? That is how they do baseball? and have random draws at wrestling state as well?

Question....will there still be a JV state tournament on 3/20?  If so, will it still be at Moore HS, since I believe Moore had a water issue in their main gym and construction on the new floor may not be done?

16 minutes ago, rdc517 said:

Question....will there still be a JV state tournament on 3/20?  If so, will it still be at Moore HS, since I believe Moore had a water issue in their main gym and construction on the new floor may not be done?

JV state has been cancelled per coach Thomas of Moore 

20 minutes ago, mama said:

thanks for sharing. Shouldn't the regions be randomly drawn for semi-state? That is how they do baseball? and have random draws at wrestling state as well?

Not for semi state because of travel. I believe state will be random drawn 

22 minutes ago, panthers said:

It was said that all post season will be seeded by track wrestling since it is what is used for regionals.

They want to prevent last meetings for regional seeding, but we can still have them. We can do over zoom if needed. With records this year, its impossible to let track seed

1 minute ago, JStrayRN said:

I’m confused as to why we can have 16 man brackets for Regionals and Semi-State, but not for the State Championship.  

They want spectators for the state level. Many regionals will likely be no spectators 

I went with top 10 to keep it simple. Also went with top 10 teams. Used Rangers latest rankings. "Miss State" is top 10 kids who will not make it to state. There is a big discrepancy between the "semi states". In the team breakdown, "make state" is top 10 kids on given team that are top two in the semi state. Outside qualifiers are kids who are ranked outside of the top ten but top 2 in their given semi state. St. X and Trinity lead the way with 3 kids each ranked outside of the top ten but qualifying for an 8 man state. Eli Mattingly-Neal (#18 @ 126) and Ayden Lehman (#24 @ 132) are some of the big ones that pop out. Lehman did wrestle 126 recently.

Kid that potentially won't qualify:
106: Hardin, Campbell, Raney, Matt
113: Teutsch, McKee, Griffith
120: Lattin, Benner, Stanley
126: Quintana, Tucker, Stull, Isaacs
132: Herron, Ross, Lewis, Nardelli
138: Stull, James, Andreoni, Johnson, Sproles
145: Bowers, Chapman
152: Phan, Grandstaff
160: Ketchen-Carter, Conrad, Hyden
170: Slayton, Baker
182: Riggins, Walls, McWilliams, Haggan
195: Adams, Whitehead, Hatchett
220: Boone, Elliston, Brooksbank, Leicht
285: Mooney, Arthur, Smith

Some state champs, runner ups, multi time placers that are getting screwed. Some, it is their senior year. Way to go KHSAA

image.thumb.png.3dcc0ae2b45f1862f72d8372b274e88a.png

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, coachteater said:

They want spectators for the state level. Many regionals will likely be no spectators 

Spectators at state level with an 8 man bracket.  Not many will be there if little Johnny is not there. 

I am old enough to remember the 8 man bracket in 86,87. It was horrible.  Attendance was miniscule. 

This could be the 1st state tourney I miss since 1982. 

9 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Spectators at state level with an 8 man bracket.  Not many will be there if little Johnny is not there. 

I am old enough to remember the 8 man bracket in 86,87. It was horrible.  Attendance was miniscule. 

This could be the 1st state tourney I miss since 1982. 

It will likely be around 4 per wrestler.  If kids family doesnt go, thry will go into general pot and sold. It will "sell out"

22 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I went with top 10 to keep it simple. Also went with top 10 teams. Used Rangers latest rankings. "Miss State" is top 10 kids who will not make it to state. There is a big discrepancy between the "semi states". In the team breakdown, "make state" is top 10 kids on given team that are top two in the semi state. Outside qualifiers are kids who are ranked outside of the top ten but top 2 in their given semi state. St. X and Trinity lead the way with 3 kids each ranked outside of the top ten but qualifying for an 8 man state. Eli Mattingly-Neal (#18 @ 126) and Ayden Lehman (#24 @ 132) are some of the big ones that pop out. Lehman did wrestle 126 recently.

Some state champs, runner ups, multi time placers that are getting screwed. Some, it is their senior year. Way to go KHSAA

Khsaa does not care about competition level. Their argument is teams in other sports that could win are home every year because they are in loaded regions

It's not impossible for track to seed these tournaments. The lack of coaches uploading info and results is what leads you to believe it is impossible. But the fact is, they could easily be seeded by track.

• Like 2

According to rankings right now: 

Johnson Central- 11 placers

Trinity- 10

St X- 8 

Union- 8

Ryle- 8

Tilghman-5 

Walton Verona- 4

1 hour ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Precisely. If mitigating risk and getting the best kids to the state tournament was the goal, they failed pretty remarkably. Almost as if they were trying.

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

It will likely be around 4 per wrestler.  If kids family doesnt go, thry will go into general pot and sold. It will "sell out"

Based on this, it’s safe to assume it’ll be held at a high school?

12 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Precisely. If mitigating risk and getting the best kids to the state tournament was the goal, they failed pretty remarkably. Almost as if they were trying.

That wasnt the khsaa goal, they laid out what they wanted and got it. 32 kids to qualify for state(semi state is state) , same amount of placers(8), spectators for state (8 man brackets at semi and state allow this), and have at a school located close to Lexington (to be announced,  but im sure they have one lined out)

I dont necessary like it, but better than some other states and other options. 

My biggest complaint is from the government that's putting ridiculous restrictions on us all. They cause this whole problem.  Thats my 2 cents for what its worth

34 minutes ago, CoachC said:

It's not impossible for track to seed these tournaments. The lack of coaches uploading info and results is what leads you to believe it is impossible. But the fact is, they could easily be seeded by track.

Of course it can seed a tourney but can it correctly. 

Not sure of its capabilities, but most seeds are determined by mostly head to head and common opponent.

1 hour ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I see 2 state champs on the list of kids that would be sitting home if we went off the rankings.  I can see Raney  and Tom KC winning this year.  

• Upvote 1

To look at this as a half full person.

We (as a community) got most of what we wanted.

1. A season

2. A post season

3. Same amount of state qualifiers.

What we didn't get.

1. Full 32 man state tourney

2. A 16 man state tourney with 4 advancing from Semi State. 

Not a horrible thing.  I just feel sorry for those that are going to be sitting at home when they could have possibly placed. (Especially those that are seniors)