Sign in to follow this  
gameface

High School State Tournament updates?

Well we’re closing in on the State Duals which means State is right around the corner. Any answers yet with  what was proposed by our Coaches Association to the KHSAA? I know a few teams submitted a detailed proposal to the Coaches Association on what could work for just this year. Can we get some information on this forum to what we have to look forward to. So far I’ve heard 4 advance out of Regionals to a Semi State(1/2,3/4,5/6,7/8 regions grouped together to make semi state). Then only 2 come out of a semi state to make a 8 man bracket at State in a high school located south of Lexington. Your points from Semi state carry in to State for a team championship. I’ve also heard a proposal to have a Eastern State Champ and Western State Champ and finally  I’ve heard small school and a large school state championship was being pushed by some. Hotels are open and the opportunity to travel is there. Why can’t we have the Regionals, advance the too 4 as always to a Semi State, advance the top 4 then have a 2 day 16 man bracket to give the wrestlers the best chance to compete. Most Parents and teams want to travel and if it’s in Lexington, most can get there within a couple hours. The good folks out in Western Kentucky seem ready and eager to travel since Region 1 is full of State Placers that with a 2 man semi state advancement, leaves several state placers at home. Same with Region 5/6 combined. We need to give all the kids our best as parents and coaches. I don’t see the Girls or Boys Basketball championships being watered down or a venue change. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lots of questions to be answered. 
What are the limiting factors? Attendance, money, overnight stay, Khsaa rules ? 

Other tourneys are going on all over the nation with the basic protocols and everything has been fine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

What if they have a full 32 man bracket and wrestle 1/2 of it on Friday and the other 1/2 on Saturday? 

Another great idea that is trying to include all the qualifiers!!!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DrBaker said:

What if they have a full 32 man bracket and wrestle 1/2 of it on Friday and the other 1/2 on Saturday? 

Wouldn't that be over the 5 match max for wrestle backs?

What if we had 16 man brackets. Do either the top 2 from each region, or the semi state stuff. Either way we get 16 wrestlers in each bracket. On Friday we do 106-145. We do the state tournament in one day. Then on Saturday we do 152-285. Not sure how this would work but seems like a solid idea to me.

11 hours ago, gameface said:

These like many others are all great ideals. But KHSAA has already made contact with schools hosting regionals to see about clearing way to backing up regionals a week maybe two. I know this because I got an email yesterday from the host school in our region letting us know that this was more than likely to happen to make room for semi state was the message. KHSAA wouldn’t be making these calls unless they have a plan they are trying to put in motion. I believe we all need to get ready for a normal regional with 4 moving on to semi state. Then either a 8 man or 16 man tourney from there as state. I believe we will see 8 man. Do we like it no but the message has been made loud and clear it’s for one year deal with it. Face it we aren’t basketball which seems there tourney will be same as always. I agree there is lots of things we should or could do to include just have it as normal but we should brace for the worse it’s not going to happen we just aren’t a sport that people care to support as much as the others. I never seen any person on that board who is a wrestling person or truly understood the sport loves the sport or spoke up for the sport. That’s the problem here. For me I always said I would just be happy if they let us have a season/post season and they did. So let’s just be glad we had the opportunity to wrestle this season because it is what it is and nothing much we can do but prepare our kids for whatever they give us on Wednesday.

We really need to stop comparing wrestling to basketball. A basketball game takes about an hour of actual playing time, with less than 50 players, coaches etc. probably can get those games done with less than 150 total people in the gym including spectators. You then clear the gym, sanitize, and move on to the next one.  Even a 16 man wrestling tournament not only more than doubles the number, it increases the time these people stay confined together in a gym/arena. It’s the sheer numbers that are required to hold a wrestling tournament in an indoor confined space that’s creating the issue....not the KHSAA’s lack of love, understanding or respect for wrestling.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

We really need to stop comparing wrestling to basketball. A basketball game takes about an hour of actual playing time, with less than 50 players, coaches etc. probably can get those games done with less than 150 total people in the gym including spectators. You then clear the gym, sanitize, and move on to the next one.  Even a 16 man wrestling tournament not only more than doubles the number, it increases the time these people stay confined together in a gym/arena. It’s the sheer numbers that are required to hold a wrestling tournament in an indoor confined space that’s creating the issue....not the KHSAA’s lack of love, understanding or respect for wrestling.

Just to clear up my message was not meant to slam KHSAA or basketball. It was meant to be simply put a thanks for at least allowing us the opportunity to wrestle regardless of what is thought of our sport or not. I am thrilled for my kids that they get to wrestle at all. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

Region tourneys can be adjusted based off size and participation. 16 man brackets or 8 man. Add a day if needed. Half the classes wrestle in one session to a certain round. The other half wrestle the next day or night to the same round. Bring the finalists/medalist back the last day to not exceed capacity limits. Move the region host for one year if they cannot accommodate to one that can or adjust to make it work. No need to cut down on participation. As far as state goes there’s a venue in Louisville that hosted a sizable national duals tournament last year that could host a full participation state tournament and have seating for fans as well. Day 1, 2 sessions, split the weights and wrestle down to the final 16 in a weight. Come back the next day and finish up. Money may be an issue to rent the venue, but last I checked wrestlers, coaches and parents are used to paying for everything from travel, entry fees, coaches association paying for singlets and team KY gear. I know times are tough for a lot of people financially, but what would you pay to see help make a full state tournament a reality??? 

• Upvote 1

I'm the VP of the Coaches Associaton, we have had just about as much input as you guys have as far as post season options.  Coach Teater has been the liason between the KHSAA and us as an association.  The KHSAA sent out feelers and were looking for input from our coaches across the state a few weeks back.  The BOC meets tomorrow at 10 am so we should have an idea of what our post season will look like.  We were only presented with the 3 options that were presented to you guys as coaches.  

• Like 1

How about 2 venue semi state. One in East Ky at Pikeville (free?) and one in west Ky (Union could get the John Arnold arena at no cost or any high school).

Combine top 4 from each region to make 16 man brackets at semi state. Bring the top 8 from each semi state to Lexington (centrally located) for state and have 16 man brackets. This brings the best chances for having the best amount of talent qualify for Lexington. 

By numbers on Rangers latest rankings (2/16/21), 47.3% of the top 8 are in regions 1-4 and 52.7% of the top 8 wrestlers are in regions 5-8. 

This gives semi states on each end of the state with the final state tournament taking place in a centrally located area. For this odd ball year, seems fair. It gives kids who place top 4 at regionals (and not just top 2) another chance to compete for a spot at the state tournament. Regions with large amounts of highly ranked kids will be able to send those kids on another week instead of getting left out, while other regions who might be "down" but have kids move on to state that wouldn't scratch top 4 at the tougher regionals. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

How about 2 venue semi state. One in East Ky at Pikeville (free?) and one in west Ky (Union could get the John Arnold arena at no cost or any high school).

Combine top 4 from each region to make 16 man brackets at semi state. Bring the top 8 from each semi state to Lexington (centrally located) for state and have 16 man brackets. This brings the best chances for having the best amount of talent qualify for Lexington. 

By numbers on Rangers latest rankings (2/16/21), 47.3% of the top 8 are in regions 1-4 and 52.7% of the top 8 wrestlers are in regions 5-8. 

This gives semi states on each end of the state with the final state tournament taking place in a centrally located area. For this odd ball year, seems fair. It gives kids who place top 4 at regionals (and not just top 2) another chance to compete for a spot at the state tournament. Regions with large amounts of highly ranked kids will be able to send those kids on another week instead of getting left out, while other regions who might be "down" but have kids move on to state that wouldn't scratch top 4 at the tougher regionals. 

Arnold Arena isn’t free. Be better to have it at a high school for free.