Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

State team race if format changes

I think as coaches we need figure a good plan together and everyone send in the same email. If not the KHSAA will be over loaded with to much data to go through and just figure out what they want to do. And I believe that would leave us with a 16 man tourney ran in a high school in Lexington like a Frederick Douglass or something. Nothing against that school or any school but it’s not an arena nor a 32 man tourney. Regardless of where it’s at if there is an arena that a can host what we want. Then if someone near there or who has contact with these locations needs to do just that see if available to host. So we have all the correct info and then as many that will send a uniform message out to KHSAA. Just my thoughts on this.   

• Like 1

Some information to be aware of, for some of the thoughts shared here :)  (ie:   just a heads up in case it 'goes this way' )

1. Regarding the Appalachian Wireless Center (?)  (where the Middle School State was held):  They allowed ZERO outside food or drink, nadda .. and were very, very ,very firm regarding that situation. 

2. Regarding the reference to State Volleyball this season:  There was zero 're-admission'  in the same session allowed.  (by this i mean you could not go in, then out to the car, then back in)  Each session was required to be purchased electronically, through a 3rd party service (ie: there was no 'ticket booth' manned at the location)  , each volleyball match was a separate admission, with a separate cost, and that cost this year was considerably higher than in past years.  Not that it will reflect for wrestling, but even the State Tournament volleyball players and their coaches had to pay the cost of admission for the matches for which that were not a participant.

Is there any chance the KHSAA could get Memorial Coliseum?  It would work for a 16 man tournament of four mats.  They could bump the 5 match rule to 6 matches for one tournament and have it on one day.   I think they should extend the season by 2 weeks, add a district tournament and a semi-state tournament to make all the post season tournaments smaller one day events.  They should also suspend the 5 match rule for the post season so there are no 2 day post season tournaments.

20 hours ago, grimmnar said:

Some information to be aware of, for some of the thoughts shared here :)  (ie:   just a heads up in case it 'goes this way' )

1. Regarding the Appalachian Wireless Center (?)  (where the Middle School State was held):  They allowed ZERO outside food or drink, nadda .. and were very, very ,very firm regarding that situation. 

2. Regarding the reference to State Volleyball this season:  There was zero 're-admission'  in the same session allowed.  (by this i mean you could not go in, then out to the car, then back in)  Each session was required to be purchased electronically, through a 3rd party service (ie: there was no 'ticket booth' manned at the location)  , each volleyball match was a separate admission, with a separate cost, and that cost this year was considerably higher than in past years.  Not that it will reflect for wrestling, but even the State Tournament volleyball players and their coaches had to pay the cost of admission for the matches for which that were not a participant.

This is going to be the policy for any larger arena. Large arenas subcontract the food service through outside organizations. Outside food hasn't ever been allowed in the Horsepark that I'm aware of, so this really isn't a big issue.

In the last meeting Tackett suggested pushing our post-season in hopes that restrictions would not be so harsh.  Other states are doing this(OK & MO off the top of my head) and he seemed to be on board with the idea.  The following plan mirrors what MO is doing. If we keep our Region Tournament on March 20th, add a Semi-State on April 3rd, and have our State Tournament on April 17th venues will likely be at higher capacity, which would solve many of the problems we are facing. Again, Tackett suggested this, so I think getting a plan together that is similar will only benefit us when they make a decision. 

1 hour ago, GooglyMoogly said:

In the last meeting Tackett suggested pushing our post-season in hopes that restrictions would not be so harsh.  Other states are doing this(OK & MO off the top of my head) and he seemed to be on board with the idea.  The following plan mirrors what MO is doing. If we keep our Region Tournament on March 20th, add a Semi-State on April 3rd, and have our State Tournament on April 17th venues will likely be at higher capacity, which would solve many of the problems we are facing. Again, Tackett suggested this, so I think getting a plan together that is similar will only benefit us when they make a decision. 

That would suck for those trying to hold their weight that long. Semi state would be held on Easter weekend, and state after spring break? You could keep things normal this year, move regionals to March 13th, and state on March 27th. If wrestlers aren’t part of the 15% capacity limit, you can find an accommodating venue(s).

7 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

That would suck for those trying to hold their weight that long. Semi state would be held on Easter weekend, and state after spring break? You could keep things normal this year, move regionals to March 13th, and state on March 27th. If wrestlers aren’t part of the 15% capacity limit, you can find an accommodating venue(s).

You mean wrestlers would have to stay disciplined with their diet for a few more weeks? I don't see an issue.  And we don't wrestle on Sunday so I'm not sure why Easter is a conflict...

IMO the wrestling post season will not get pushed out further.  As I posted earlier, the wrestling post season is all predicated on securing a venue, very likely centrally located in the Lexington area.  Also, KHSAA will want non-basketball winter sports completed so there is as little overlap as possible with spring sports.  The first weekend of baseball games is 3/26-3/28 so I suspect wrestling will be done by then.  KHSAA will also not want any attention taken away from basketball postseason either.  There's a reason they kicked that discussion to the mid February meeting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GooglyMoogly said:

You mean wrestlers would have to stay disciplined with their diet for a few more weeks? I don't see an issue.  And we don't wrestle on Sunday so I'm not sure why Easter is a conflict...

Kids grow regardless of how disciplined they are. After all, they’re kids, not adults.

So as the date for the suggestions to KHSAA nears I haven’t seen any kind of agreement on what message the coaches will send. I think that’s a huge mistake on our part. Not sure how or what type of agreement should be made but without one voice it could be something nobody wants. That’s just my two since.

18 hours ago, CradleKY said:

just allow 3 more pounds

It was suggested in the meeting by Tackett that there would be an additional weight allowance if the post season was pushed.