Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

State team race if format changes

So most people agree we are probably not going to see a 32 man state tournament.  That being said, I think it could have a huge impact on who wins the team title at state. Say we go to 16 or God forbid an 8 man bracket, who wins? With region 1 and 6 as deep as they are, I think its a clear disadvantage to teams like Union, Ryle, Christian Co, Paducah Tilghman, and Walton Verona. On the other hand if we see a cut in numbers, I think its going to be  a big advantage to teams like Johnson Central and Trinity.  Region 8 is on the up swing, but Johnson Central is still clearly best. While Trinity is in a tough region, the Jefferson County shut down is going to really hurt the public schools at region. Could be setting up for an interesting race for the title.

Thoughts?

If they go to 16 man by the means of top 2 in a region, it really hurts region 1 and 6? (Northern Ky) and helps 4 and 8. Union, Christian, Tilghman, Caldwell, Campbell, Simon Kenton, Ryle, etc will leave great kids at home and Trinity, St X, and Johnson Central would still bring complete teams. 

I was just talking about this with my staff. I sure wish they would give us some guidance on how state is gonna work.

There is gonna be a lot of maneuvering going on if they only qualify the top 2 from each Region. I just think of last year in region 2, 1st, 2nd, 4th were all from the same region... One of those kids wasn't gonna qualify to state!!! If we do go to the top 2 qualifying... there needs to be some sort of wrestleback for a true 2nd. 2nd wrestles 3rd to determine who goes to state.

Regions 1 and 6 will sure get the shaft if it comes down to that

Scanning over last years results, if we were to of had 16 man bracket, 10 kids that placed would have been at home. 

6 weights had 3 kids from 1 region place

2 weights had 3 kids from 2 regions place

I think an option would be to split the state tournament between big school and small school (personally, not a fan). You’d have 16 man brackets that way, as well. Then maybe have a “tournament of champions” (6-8 man bracket) to determine the real state champ. I’m not confident KHSAA has the desire to work out the logistics. 

1 minute ago, GentleBeard said:

I think an option would be to split the state tournament between big school and small school (personally, not a fan). You’d have 16 man brackets that way, as well. Then maybe have a “tournament of champions” (6-8 man bracket) to determine the real state champ. I’m not confident KHSAA has the desire to work out the logistics. 

Agreed, another option would be to split the tourney into two weekends. Weekend 1 half the weight classes, weekend 2 the other half of the weight classes, or a semi state before state. Addition of one weekend would avoid all the issues. 

Ihpo in Indiana had split sessions.  Big brackets staggered start times worked out good.
 In the final session there will be less kids so bring everyone left back together because of wait times between matches.  It can work just takes a little planning.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bearcat said:

Agreed, another option would be to split the tourney into two weekends. Weekend 1 half the weight classes, weekend 2 the other half of the weight classes, or a semi state before state. Addition of one weekend would avoid all the issues. 

That would put a real financial strain on some schools that would have to travel and lodge on two different weekend.

In looking at the minutes from BOC meeting from yesterday, https://khsaa.org/01-21-21-board-of-control-reviews-status-of-winter-and-spring-sports/ , I noticed that they limited the number of bowlers from regional competition, but not the State tournament. I realize it's an apples to oranges comparison, but perhaps this bodes well for the 32 man bracket. I guess we'll all find out together on Feb 17. I, for one, am going to stay cautiously optimistic. 

My take from watching and listening to the meeting yesterday was a little different. From what I heard or understood there is no way we will have a 32 man bracket with or without fans. We can either figure a way to do a split of some kind Big School/Small School  so there are two 16 man tourneys or even a East/West split two tourneys they called Covid 1 & 2 or we will be forced to take just top 2 kids from ever region and no alternates. That leaves a lot of kids out. No matter what our personal thoughts are on a Big/Small split. For this year if we want to keep as many kids in the tourney as possible we need to express our thoughts that way because who knows what a east-west or north-south split even would look like. Either way I am glad there was no vote yesterday because I believe if there was it would have been just 2 from each region period. I challenge us all to figure something out that will suit what those guys on the board will approve that we can all live with because at least we are getting a season and would be nice to finish with a great post season. Then next year we can hopefully get back to the norm.

Agreed. I think big school/small school by enrollment makes the most sense. Then possibly KY USA Wrestling could do a "Tournament of Champions" in March or April inviting placers from both big and small school to compete. Even if they divide into Covid 1 (R1-R4) and Covid 2 (R5-8), a Tourney after the season allows all the placers to come together. 

• Upvote 1

If there is a big school/small school split, will each state tournament have 32 man brackets? The fact they don’t have a plan and won’t have one until February 17th could set up a logistical nightmare. I wish more people involved with wrestling had a bigger say in how to run it. There are people on the BOC that admitted they’re ignorant to wrestling like I am to archery. Nothing wrong with ignorance, but regulating a sport from a state of ignorance doesn’t seem fruitful.

They are sending an email out to coaches tomorrow,  it will have an email address to send suggestions to. They ask that all suggestions are sent there. That way they can all see them and have them organized.  From talking to Barren today, a split will not happen. 

They want to keep the 32 coming out of regions and they want spectators.  They are working on figuring out a format that they can do this. Both of these points were very important. But they also have to find a cost effective way that follows covid restrictions and is feasible for teams that travel.

I’m assuming they’re looking to have a venue with at least 10,000 seats to keep the 15% attendance threshold? 

448 wrestlers

896 fans (2 per wrestler)

the remaining population would be tournament workers?

I honestly don't know how they will be able to accomplish all this.  

Maybe do first 7 weight classes in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. 

Do 3 rounds of consolation that will reduce number of participants for second day to 12 per weight class. 

Just spitballing here.