Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

What teams are affected by no winter sports in Jeff Co?

All Jefferson County public schools that wrestle. By quick count, it looks like 16 teams. 

I believe the only ones that wrestle that are not affected are Stx, Trinity, and desales because they are private. 

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

All Jefferson County public schools that wrestle. By quick count, it looks like 16 teams. 

I believe the only ones that wrestle that are not affected are Stx, Trinity, and desales because they are private. 

I can think of a few, but 16??!

So, will the state reconfigure the regions or just add the 3 Bullitt, St. X, Trinity, and DeSales to another region? Will we still have a 32 man bracket? I  know no one knows the answer to these questions right now, just wondering out loud.

Move the 6 teams to different regions for one year.  Let the top 5 in for state (6 remaining regions x 5 placers for a total of 30).  Two regions champs chosen at random get a first round bye.   All else remains the same.  

4 minutes ago, WrasslinCoach said:

At the moment, their season is slated to start Feb. 1 with a board meeting on Jan. 19th to decide how to proceed. If JCPS were to cancel the season, it sure would make things a mess. 

I think the state needs a contingency plan if that meeting doesn't go well. If there are 16 man brackets, there will be kids in region 1 (and I assume a few other places) not make it to state that could beat other regionals champs. Region 1 had 30 state placers vs Region 3 with 6. Region 7 had 17 teams last year. I like @LCalum's approach. The horse park is big enough to keep attendance at a lower percentage and still have 32 (30) kids in each weight class. 

43 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I think the state needs a contingency plan if that meeting doesn't go well. If there are 16 man brackets, there will be kids in region 1 (and I assume a few other places) not make it to state that could beat other regionals champs. Region 1 had 30 state placers vs Region 3 with 6. Region 7 had 17 teams last year. I like @LCalum's approach. The horse park is big enough to keep attendance at a lower percentage and still have 32 (30) kids in each weight class. 

Shew, good luck with that. I know for sure that state tournament will not be at the Horse Park this year, I am even less sure that state tournament will be 16 man brackets. Sure wish we would have gotten a ideal of what everything is gonna look like BEFORE season starts. The lack of communication stinks.

With the thought in mind that none of us know what KHSAA will do or when they will tell us. Here is another thought that we could see happen. If they decide to stay with the normal format of a 32 man bracket and keeping in mind that its been said we are not looking to reline this season as well as it is each district choice to wrestle or not. KHSAA could just say wrestle post season the way it sits. Each Region would wrestle with whomever is left and if they only have 3 spots then the wrestle to see the seeding for that region for the state bracket.  With that being said the 4th spot would be random draw from the alternates of the other regions which is what they are for. I am not saying I am for this or any of the options just saying it wouldn't surprise me at all to see this happen either. Its the easy way.

I would not hold your breath on KHSAA reconfiguring the regions for covid. Look at football teams with covid they had to forfeit. 

As for the region discrepancies?  KHSAA does not look at balance of talent in each region only size and geography.  The talent discrepancy has been going for as long as I can remember.  Years ago during my time in the stone age. There was a district with only 4 teams.  E. Hardin, W Hardin, North Hardin and Fort Knox. 

I do have hope that the next realignment KHSAA will help equal the number of teams in each region, and hopefully look at the average participants in each region also.   Not sure if anything can be done for regions 1 and 6 because of geography. 

Definitely agree, geography and numbers are what they look at, not quality.  If you look at last years numbers, you see how skewed it is.

1-117

2-133

3-108

4 -84

5 -119

6 -132

7 -171

8 -140

Region 7 is literally twice as big as region 4

Add all the Lou. schools participation together that would be 17 schools with 166 participants. (combining region 3 and 4 minus the Bullitt's)

I believe if your going to have a large region this is where it should be b/c of geography. Then sort the rest out.  

Put Lou. as one region Put the Bullitt's in region 5. Put Scott Co and Great Cross and Grant in region 7.  All school South of Lex. E&W Jessamine and south create a new South region. 

17 in region 4. 

12 in region 5

10 in region 7. 

10 in the South region. 

I made a plot map with all teams on it, but I may be off a little. 

Or do some real digging and create new regions all over to equal out participants. Which would mean some work and some Lou. schools in a different region. 

They need to create more regions and reduce region size and reduce the number of qualifiers from each region or they just need to go ahead and split into two divisions.  It's not fair that these large uneven regions cause some tournaments to be two days.  With wrestling still holding on to the five match rule, no region should be more than eight teams.