NO-OX 1

Season Starts!!!

2 hours ago, Coach Burton said:

It's a "growth" allowance.  We should start the season with the allowance.  The wrestlers didn't stop growing just because the season hadn't started yet.

Barren told me the 2lb allowance will be there after Christmas like normal.  So we will have it all season 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Is there a possibility to add a sectional tournament in between region and state, so to have a smaller state tourney? (16 man brackets)   Would be like the good ole days of district, region, state. 

Talking to Barren, all things are on the table right now. I mentioned the same thing to him, adding districts.  Based on venue and restrictions,  they will be looking at how many they can have at state

They need to do something.    The regions were out of whack before this season, and already needed to be realigned.  They added four teams to region 2, so now 2 and 7 both have something like 20 active teams.  They should go ahead and realign the regions, then bring back the districts, permanently.  Wasn't this the year for possible realignment anyway?

12 hours ago, Coach Burton said:

They need to do something.    The regions were out of whack before this season, and already needed to be realigned.  They added four teams to region 2, so now 2 and 7 both have something like 20 active teams.  They should go ahead and realign the regions, then bring back the districts, permanently.  Wasn't this the year for possible realignment anyway?

Realignment is coming next year 100% is what I was told. 

How would you like to see districts returned?

1 Break up the regions we have into 2 districts and still have a 32 man state tourney.

2. Keep the regions we have now and combine two regions into a district tourney and return to a 16 man state tourney. 

Definitely Option 2. There’s no way you could divide up region 4 or region 3 into districts. They’re small enough as is now. I would love to see 16 man state brackets because you could possibly run the tournament on Friday night and Saturday like Indiana does. 

8 hours ago, HawkeyeX125 said:

Definitely Option 2. There’s no way you could divide up region 4 or region 3 into districts. They’re small enough as is now. I would love to see 16 man state brackets because you could possibly run the tournament on Friday night and Saturday like Indiana does. 

After the realignment next year, I have a feeling that 3 and 4 will be getting much bigger.

9 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

1 Break up the regions we have into 2 districts and still have a 32 man state tourney.

2. Keep the regions we have now and combine two regions into a district tourney and return to a 16 man state tourney. 

While I like 16 man state better, I dont see Khsaa giving up the money the 32 man brings on. Unless...... you split into 2 divisions(big and small) with two 16 man tournaments (plus sanction girls and do 8). This would also help region size as well and I believe it will help growth of teams. I know others disagree, but thats just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

While I like 16 man state better, I dont see Khsaa giving up the money the 32 man brings on. Unless...... you split into 2 divisions(big and small) with two 16 man tournaments (plus sanction girls and do 8). This would also help region size as well and I believe it will help growth of teams. I know others disagree, but thats just my 2 cents.

Might as well give union the title every year if it breaks down into small/large schools. 

Big School/Small School would be a good way to handle the growth that is happening. I know lots of people don’t like it but there is good and bad with anything we do. This would also go in line with State Duals. Regardless of what is to come change is sure to happen. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Might as well give union the title every year if it breaks down into small/large schools. 

For now maybe and maybe for a long time,  but things could change. You cant let that keep change coming if it would help wrestling as a whole. There's more dominant teams in other sports but they still play the games, look at assumption in volleyball or st x in swimming.  Just because 1 team is good, doesnt mean you cant do things to improve.  

As if Union doesn’t already win the title every year 

edit- but to add I already coached in Div 1 Ohio meaning you had to accept that St. Ed’s was probably winning the title or be in Div 2 and know that Graham is going to win the title. Really just makes constant growth the goal see Aurora now

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Because I also believe the KHSAA will be reluctant to give up the $ from the 32 man bracket I probably say scenario 1. Realignment would be needed, but I would much prefer that over a large/small division. Back in the old days we had some great district rivalries and a lot of varied teams winning trophies. 

On 11/25/2020 at 8:52 AM, ukpridewrestler11 said:

So what?  It's not Union's fault that no one can rise to their level right now.  They have worked their tails off to build an amazing program there.  It's not on them to stop winning titles.  It's on everyone else to rise to their level.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:40 AM, coachteater said:

I like the idea of a split.  It has helped other states grow wrestling and will certainly help us grow the sport here.  If we remain a once class sport for now I'd like to see a district-region-32 man state set up with the girls state tournament at the same time.

1 hour ago, Coach Burton said:

I like the idea of a split.  It has helped other states grow wrestling and will certainly help us grow the sport here.  If we remain a once class sport for now I'd like to see a district-region-32 man state set up with the girls state tournament at the same time.

I like this idea also.  District and region would only take one day each.  Districts can be built with about 6 teams in each district.  Then the region would be an 8 man tourney that would also only take one day.  I know that some districts would be very small in participants but having (2) one day tourneys can only help for the spectators. 

I was not a believer in the 32 man state tourney helping the sport but it seems to have worked.  Now if we can get a district tourney, then more kids will advance in the post season and spark more interest. Along with keeping the integrity of the (now) 32 man state tourney.  Mostly, the same kids will still qualify for the state tourney. 

Heck if you want you can make region a 10 man bracket to allow the top 5 from district to qualify.  A ten man bracket can be built to not allow more than 5 matches.  

18 minutes ago, CradleKY said:

Big and small divisions and 32 man brackets?  So 64 wrestlers qualify for state?    

If it were split I would think it would go back to 16 man brackets for the time being.  Expand the number of state participants as needed due to growth in the divisions.  Set a threshold for the number of teams in the state, and when that threshold is reached, split the classes again.   This has been proven to grow the sport quickly in other states.  A bigger state tournament would also open up bigger and better venues.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, CradleKY said:

Big and small divisions and 32 man brackets?  So 64 wrestlers qualify for state?    

Ya I would prefer two 16 man brackets and KHSAA still gets to keep their money

Otherwise we run the risk of doing what Virginia did and divide into far too many classes making the state tournament overly long, boring, and less prestigious 

Or Georgia. Has 7 divisions and with introducing the girls their state tournament is 4 days with one championship rd a day. In VA the have three different venues for 2 divisions each