NO-OX 1

Season Starts!!!

This may not be popular, but pushing the season back to march, means a lot of kids who also participate in spring sports will have to choose. Remember all spring sports were totally eliminated last year. So, I don't see that happening. They do not care about wrestling. Pushing football back a week, is evidence of that. 

I really don't think that the KHSAA has given much thought to wrestling or even cares.  You have over crowded regions that are going to have to have two day tournaments, while some regions won't even fill their portion of the brackets at state.  They just added 4 teams to Region 2 when they should have realigned all the regions.  Its ridiculous how uneven they are.  On top of that, they should have brought back district tournaments to thin numbers in the post season. 

Just to add to how badly there needs to be a realignment, Region 3 schools Drive past Region 4 schools to go to the Region 3 tournament. Region 4 has the lowest regional participants in the state by far with 4-5 man brackets being the norm

Well, here's to hoping the BoC makes a thoughtful decision on Wednesday.  I'm not sure who has direct access to them, but I hope they realize there are significant unintended consequences for canceling winter sports.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, FalconWrestling said:

Just to add to how badly there needs to be a realignment, Region 3 schools Drive past Region 4 schools to go to the Region 3 tournament. Region 4 has the lowest regional participants in the state by far with 4-5 man brackets being the norm

Region 8 is basically everything east of I-75 with the exception of a couple of school. Harrison county to Letcher County for last years regional tournament is about 3.5 hours on a bus. I think the region is 15-16 teams. 

9 hours ago, FalconWrestling said:

Hopefully they make the correct call and push winter sports to the spring and spring to summer.

Only issue with that could potentially be seniors playing their last high school baseball game a week before they're supposed to report to college.  I'm not sure how that would play out for those wrestlers who have already committed to college.  I have a feeling a lot will be ready to move on at that point.  Nothing is going to be perfect, but wrestling (of which I am extremely biased) is a voluntary sport.  If a team doesn't feel comfortable wrestling in the winter, they should be able to opt out without being second guessed or judged.  However, those who want to wrestle, should at least be afforded the opportunity.  There have been multiple tournaments throughout the country to look at and determine what works and what doesn't.  There's no reason to cancel or postpone the season - especially since masks work and each match is only 5 minutes (with a potential of 7 minutes).  In other words, kids won't be within 6ft of each other longer than 15 minutes (which I think is the guideline?).  

If the season is postponed it will be because of the schools.  Schools don't want kids at the school with the potential of spreading the virus.  I'm not saying I agree but that is the issue.  

The virus being spread at a tourney is not the issue its the spread at practice and possibly exposing others at the school not related to wrestling.  Schools already have enough trouble just getting student in the classroom. 

10 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

Only issue with that could potentially be seniors playing their last high school baseball game a week before they're supposed to report to college.  I'm not sure how that would play out for those wrestlers who have already committed to college.  I have a feeling a lot will be ready to move on at that point.  Nothing is going to be perfect, but wrestling (of which I am extremely biased) is a voluntary sport.  If a team doesn't feel comfortable wrestling in the winter, they should be able to opt out without being second guessed or judged.  However, those who want to wrestle, should at least be afforded the opportunity.  There have been multiple tournaments throughout the country to look at and determine what works and what doesn't.  There's no reason to cancel or postpone the season - especially since masks work and each match is only 5 minutes (with a potential of 7 minutes).  In other words, kids won't be within 6ft of each other longer than 15 minutes (which I think is the guideline?).  

If wrestling was voluntary most programs would be preparing for the season instead of sitting at home. I think 98% of the state has coaching staffs who want to be there with their kids and working. Right now, you have a lot who have been told go home until further notice. Some have had seasons cancelled. You think they/we would voluntarily come back? Hell yes they/we would. Wouldn't think twice about it.

If you asked me a few weeks ago, I would agree with you that we should keep going. But that was also before 3/4 of the state chalked it up and cancelled left and right. Is it possible, yes... Will it happen I HIGHLY doubt it. The entire is in the red and I know the data is skewed in certain counties. But the facts are still the facts. The entire state is red and the recommendations are being made to the superintendents and deans of schools to postpone. If you read the tea leaves, I expect us to be wrestling in 2021 and not 2020. I hate to say it that way and know a lot of kids have opportunities they are trying to work for.... Trust me I know. But you're starting to see the dominos fall and I expect tomorrow's BoC meeting to finalize what many of us think is going to occur. Which I hate it even with our season being taken from us. 

Well, I believe we will be trading one set of burdens for another if coaches and kids aren't able to stay busy during the winter.  I'm not sure what participation looks like for wrestling in the spring.  But, I read some alarming statistics regarding mental health within the state this year.  How do you mitigate the risk of a mental health crisis and COVID simultaneously when people are stuck inside in the winter, kids can't go to school,  and it gets dark at 6pm?  Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but I took it as a good sign that of the nearly 16,000 middle school and high school aged kids who have tested positive, there's a 100% survival rate (so far).  The flu, by comparison, infected fewer and killed 4. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

52 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Well, I believe we will be trading one set of burdens for another if coaches and kids aren't able to stay busy during the winter.  I'm not sure what participation looks like for wrestling in the spring.  But, I read some alarming statistics regarding mental health within the state this year.  How do you mitigate the risk of a mental health crisis and COVID simultaneously when people are stuck inside in the winter, kids can't go to school,  and it gets dark at 6pm?  Perhaps I'm too optimistic, but I took it as a good sign that of the nearly 16,000 middle school and high school aged kids who have tested positive, there's a 100% survival rate (so far).  The flu, by comparison, infected fewer and killed 4. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

You're going tic for tac. I know what the issues that are going on with no sports during the winter. I know. I deal with it daily and it will only become a bigger problem. In my opinion is a big problem that's not being addressed at all. Tomorrow will tell the story.

I don't see KHSAA shutting down sports. Football and Basketball are their bread winters and they can't afford to lose another season without having these sports participate.

Football will be completed in the next few weeks and I don't think they will let basketball shut down. So if basketball continues to play, they will have to let wrestling. KHSAA doesn't want that fight from all those parents on their doorstep. However the school boards may decide to close up some districts/regions, that's a totally different can of worms and I feel for those kids and schools that decide to go that route. I just pray and hope that these kids, especially the seniors get the chance to have their seasons. Best of luck and stay safe to you all!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bearcats Coach said:

if basketball continues to play, they will have to let wrestling. 

They don't have to.  Wrestling is in the high risk category, and it is the highest of the high risk sports.  That's all the justification they need to shut it down.

30 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Getting pushed off like I figured. Jan. 4th-Apr. 3rd. HOPEFULLY some of us who have been cancelled will be given an opportunity!

Its a new year, so...... I'm hoping it happens for you. 

4 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Getting pushed off like I figured. Jan. 4th-Apr. 3rd. HOPEFULLY some of us who have been cancelled will be given an opportunity!

Where did you find the April 3rd date?  When does post season start? State duals, regionals, state?

16 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Where did you find the April 3rd date?  When does post season start? State duals, regionals, state?

Julian said it during first meeting. It was also confirmed by a board member that was in the meeting 

Will regionals be held the weekend of the 26th and 27th? Or the 19th and 20th to protect anyone who potentially has to quarantine after exposure at regionals? Also any word on the 2 pound allowance usually given after Christmas?  

1 hour ago, CoachConder said:

Will regionals be held the weekend of the 26th and 27th? Or the 19th and 20th to protect anyone who potentially has to quarantine after exposure at regionals? Also any word on the 2 pound allowance usually given after Christmas?  

all info will be posted soon. We just simply know when the season is. Info will come. As soon as it does... Teater will post it. 

So I spoke to Commissioner Barren this morning.  While April 3rd is the date voted on in meeting yesterday, they still must make a final decision in December meeting based on venue and format. So looks like we are in "wait and see" mode again. 

On 11/19/2020 at 7:30 AM, CoachConder said:

Also any word on the 2 pound allowance usually given after Christmas?  

It's a "growth" allowance.  We should start the season with the allowance.  The wrestlers didn't stop growing just because the season hadn't started yet.

Is there a possibility to add a sectional tournament in between region and state, so to have a smaller state tourney? (16 man brackets)   Would be like the good ole days of district, region, state.