Sign in to follow this  
halfhalfhalf

BoC meeting Info

Its funny to me that basketball is a low or medium risk and not a high risk like wrestling, football and soccer. To me its the worse of all sports you have most teams play a 8 man rotation so you basically have 16 players or more all over each other for 30 to 40 minutes with zero protection. Then they turn around and play against 5 more kids or more in practice next day. Then a few days later a different team with a different 8 kids this happens at least 3 times a week or a day in tourneys. Basketball has to be high risk or at least if you lived in any other state but Kentucky.

IMO 

I thought wrestling would be considered 1st just because of the extreme closeness of the sport.  When actually a kid would only be in contact with at most 5 other athletes at an event (5 match rule)  Even if you consider an average 10 man bracket you would only be in contact with 10 kids directly or indirectly.  (ignorance of the sport is all I can say)

Basketball would be considered second because of closeness to 10 kids on the court at one time direct physical contact with most if not all.  and 8 kids on each team directly or indirectly at an event. (16 total)

Cheer would be up there also but I am not well versed in the number in contact with on each squad. (my ignorance of this sport)

I just hope they consider the coaches association officers opinions and experience on the matter.  From what we have seen thus far its not looking like it but I'll hold out hope,  I know that the KYFCA's opinion was highly considered for football.  I hope they give us the same courtesy.  I know we as coaches will do whatever it takes for our kids to have a season.  

Does KHSAA even have a venue for HS Wrestling tournament this year?  Or are they just praying the Horse Park will have an open date when they schedule it, because if they move wrestling to spring, the Horse Park wont have open dates. 

1 hour ago, plantmanky1 said:

Does KHSAA even have a venue for HS Wrestling tournament this year?  Or are they just praying the Horse Park will have an open date when they schedule it, because if they move wrestling to spring, the Horse Park wont have open dates. 

Horse park is scheduled for Feb 19/20 currently.  As to an alternative if they move season, not sure if they've started making any plans 

36 minutes ago, CUTiger184 said:

Potential start date for practice:  November 2nd, I'm sure there will be several guidelines.  Glad we have some good news. 

I missed the meeting. Was this actually voted on or just discussed?  

High School Wrestling season approved by Khsaa to start practice on Nov 2nd, and first competition date to be Dec 7th.

Per Commissioner Tackett, more information will be coming by mid October on the way the season will run

I wish they would have at least given some guidelines on what will be allowable competition sizes so we could go ahead and start scheduling.   Its like we were an after thought.  He talked for ten minutes about cheer and dance, while got like two sentences.

• Upvote 1