Sign in to follow this  
Coach Burton

Scheduling

I am doing a little of all of them. I looked at the guidelines for football or what I thought it was anyways. With that being said I figured that meant my schedule will have to change as we travel out of state at least 3 times a year. Some as far away as Florida or Arkansas also for our district we was restricted to no over night stays or anything further than 2 hours away unless regional matches. With all that said it pretty much cleared out most of my trips and tourneys. So I started looking for stuff near us that if we have a season might workout. Now after hearing everything I just hope we get on the mat at all and will wait and see what we will have to do when they tell us. I for one am just glad the school is finally allowing me to bring the kids in to start conditioning.

• Upvote 1

If anyone plans to wrestle in Clarksville-Montgomery County in TN, you better contact coaches. From my understanding they will not allow out of state teams for matches.

Also, BOC meeting is this week. Im interested to see the agenda. 

1 hour ago, FalconWrestling said:

Also of note if you are team that carpools, it appears carpooling won't be allowed

No carpooling??? WTF? What a mess. 

I just hope we get to wrestle if so we will work everything else out. Some teams like mine might have to wrestle same people more than we like or just closer to home for transportation issues. Again let's just hope we get the chance to have those problems to figure out.

5 minutes ago, panthers said:

I just hope we get to wrestle if so we will work everything else out. Some teams like mine might have to wrestle same people more than we like or just closer to home for transportation issues. Again let's just hope we get the chance to have those problems to figure out.

Looks like top secret underground duals as clubs. 

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

No carpooling??? WTF? What a mess. 

I'm currently helping to coach soccer and the head coach informed about the no carpooling, could be a JCPS requirement but I fear it may be state wide. The kids can be driven by a parent but parents can't drive other kids I believe is what I was informed

The way our AD put it is if one sport has a season every sport will have a season is what the AD's are being told. This may mean wrestling gets moved to the spring, this may mean a shortened season, etc

Let's hope Fall Sports don't lead to any Covid spikes

3 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

I'm currently helping to coach soccer and the head coach informed about the no carpooling, could be a JCPS requirement but I fear it may be state wide. The kids can be driven by a parent but parents can't drive other kids I believe is what I was informed

it's not. It was in the COVID-19 2134325423 page handbook. 

But, let's be honest. We all know this is going on. Nothing we can do about it.  

For us, if it gets pushed to the spring it gives us a chance to field a team.... If not, no Campbell or Knox.

If no out of state wrestling then I know that will hurt Nky. We are closer to Cincy than the rest of the wrestling state of KY.  At least 1 1/2  hour drive to Lou/Lex. only 30 min. to Cincy and there are twice as many teams located there. 

Most Nky teams spend about half their season in Ohio just for that reason. 

7 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

If no out of state wrestling then I know that will hurt Nky. We are closer to Cincy than the rest of the wrestling state of KY.  At least 1 1/2  hour drive to Lou/Lex. only 30 min. to Cincy and there are twice as many teams located there. 

Most Nky teams spend about half their season in Ohio just for that reason. 

GOO we spend 85-90% in TN since I can throw a rock and hit 2 schools from the parking lot. The TN district already has said no out of state competition.

Something a friend of mine proposed is quads on Saturdays.

Example:  Fort Campbell/Harrison Co/Central/Fort Knox all agree to meet centrally located. Varsity/Some jv/Girls matches.

Still keep your same format of 3-4 matches a weekend, but just do quads.

Allows you to still compete, but no overnight travel.

Great Idea.   Only problem is going down I75 (to Lex) the closest team is Grant Co. and then Scott Co. Which is 1 hour from the southern most team Walton Verona

Going down I71 to (Lou) the closest team is Oldham Co 1 hour from Walton Verona southern most team in Nky. 

Walton is 30 to 45 minutes from the rest of Nky. Harrison Co. is the closest team to Campbell Co. and Simon Kenton (down US 27) outside the district (1 hour drive) 

It will limit who Nky can wrestle but if we get to wrestle I will take it. Just means more travel than normal. Which is contradictory to what they want. 

Wrestling has so many pockets of teams with few in between the pockets. I know other areas will have the same problem. (Owensboro/Union) Closer to Ind/Ill. 

Wayne, Whitley, McCreary Closer to Tenn. Ect. Ect.

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Great Idea.   Only problem is going down I75 (to Lex) the closest team is Grant Co. and then Scott Co. Which is 1 hour from the southern most team Walton Verona

Going down I71 to (Lou) the closest team is Oldham Co 1 hour from Walton Verona southern most team in Nky. 

Walton is 30 to 45 minutes from the rest of Nky. Harrison Co. is the closest team to Campbell Co. and Simon Kenton (down US 27) outside the district (1 hour drive) 

It will limit who Nky can wrestle but if we get to wrestle I will take it. Just means more travel than normal. Which is contradictory to what they want. 

Wrestling has so many pockets of teams with few in between the pockets. I know other areas will have the same problem. (Owensboro/Union) Closer to Ind/Ill. 

Gotta call bs on first point. Google map walton verona to grant co....its 16 mins away.

Holmes to Grant co is 35 mins according to google maps. 

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

ya but thing is.... It's more than likely going to be in state competition only anyways. Soooooo.. fire the bus up

I was not saying grant I was counting scott co.  And Grant is the only one in between. 

But like I said I will take whatever I can get.  Don't know how to accomplish the no car pool thing though. 

Just might be the death stab for Newport who is hanging by a thread. 

33 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

ya but thing is.... It's more than likely going to be in state competition only anyways. Soooooo.. fire the bus up

I love to travel and get away from the local schools.  School don't like it though. LOL

49 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I love to travel and get away from the local schools.  School don't like it though. LOL

well they gonna have to suck that sh** up. If they wanna wrestle

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

I was not saying grant I was counting scott co.  And Grant is the only one in between. 

But like I said I will take whatever I can get.  Don't know how to accomplish the no car pool thing though. 

Just might be the death stab for Newport who is hanging by a thread. 

I see what youre saying now. And Wv to sc is 45 min ;) lol

No carpooling would be death for my school as well. We can not afford buses and fayette County does not provide them. All the Lexington schools drive/carpool. Buses are absolutely insane.  Our football coach told me they have to pay almost $1000 for 2 buses for a city game

Guess we will do what we can to have a season though. Might have to get in touch with alum to get kids to events.  

Lets get one battle done at a time.  Lets get a season 1st then fight the next battle.  We may need to get together as a wrestling community to get it done but I have confidence in the Ky wrestling community to get it done if we are allowed to have a season. 

Battle 1: Get a season 

Battle 2: Get events scheduled

Battle 3; Get wrestlers to events

Battle 4: Win the war by having a post season. 

I am really looking forward to a season this year. Hope these kids get a chance to compete, even if it is in the spring.  Wrestling is going on now. We had some KY kids last weekend go up and show out at the IHPO, coming away with 3 champs at one of the toughest preseason tournaments. They did their contest in sessions, limiting a few weight classes to each session. 

1 hour ago, 8224 said:

What is the rule on wrestling out of state schools?

The team you wrestle must reside in a county that touches Ky. 

Which ultimately means you probably wont be able to wrestle in out of state tourneys.  There will probably be a team in the tourney that resides in a county that does not touch KY.