On 8/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, panthers said:

Yeah we do mostly duals for just that reason. We always tried to do at least one big individual just so our kids could get the experience for Regional or State. It would be nice to see more 8 man if the brackets are full.

duals are great except for those small teams.  What happens to teams that only have 4-7 wrestlers?  Hard to have a dual team with that many kids.  And we have quite a few of those in KY. The problem is that other schools don't want to dual these teams or wast a spot in a dual tourney with one of these teams. 

23 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

duals are great except for those small teams.  What happens to teams that only have 4-7 wrestlers?  Hard to have a dual team with that many kids.  And we have quite a few of those in KY. The problem is that other schools don't want to dual these teams or wast a spot in a dual tourney with one of these teams. 

I think we are in a tough spots with us who do not field full teams. I don't think there is a right answer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

I think we are in a tough spots with us who do not field full teams. I don't think there is a right answer. 

I am a Louisville boy so am quite used to this problem. Coached at fairdale for a year and we often had to have combined practices with PRP for both of our sakes.

Perhaps we could combine teams that could not field full teams, in the event of such a drastic circumstance. Have seen it done on a much smaller scale such as dual tournaments, combining several B teams. 

I am infamously against combined practices myself since I view it as slapping a band aid on the program rather than fixing the problem. Kids can be hard to get out to wrestle and some programs are in tough school situations, but I still feel the goal is to get as many kids as possible interested in and hopefully joining your program

With a restriction on competition sizes and overnight stays, the KHSAA would probably have to bring back the district and semi state tournaments. They would also probably have to realign regions or move tournament sites.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, KWR said:

With a restriction on competition sizes and overnight stays, the KHSAA would probably have to bring back the district and semi state tournaments. They would also probably have to realign regions or move tournament sites.

I was thinking the same thing.  Use the 1986, 1987, Post season schedule: Week 1 District, Week 2 Region, Week 3 Semi State, Week 4 State tourney.  That would make it an 8 man bracket Region, Semi State and State. 

12 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I definitely like bringing back district

I do as well.  I was an advocate for the return of districts, even before the pandemic.  I believe this was the the next season that regional alignment could be evaluated, and it is in dire need of tweaking.  Why not bring back the districts and realign the regions accordingly?

39 minutes ago, Coach Burton said:

I do as well.  I was an advocate for the return of districts, even before the pandemic.  I believe this was the the next season that regional alignment could be evaluated, and it is in dire need of tweaking.  Why not bring back the districts and realign the regions accordingly?

Dont think they bring back districts because they want 32 man bracket at state. $$$$

You can still have a 32 man bracket at state.  You wouldn't have to  reduce the number of regions, just split them back into districts.  Granted, the regional tournaments would be smaller, but with realignment and districts, no regional tournament would have to be a two day tournament.   

1 hour ago, Coach Burton said:

You can still have a 32 man bracket at state.  You wouldn't have to  reduce the number of regions, just split them back into districts.  Granted, the regional tournaments would be smaller, but with realignment and districts, no regional tournament would have to be a two day tournament.   

I misunderstood,  thought you were meaning just go back to set up we use to have. Im in agreement to add a district back as well, the sizes of regions we had is ridiculous and as we continue to grow, it just gets worse.

First thing is to find who is actually going to fill teams. Right now so many are listed in regions and haven't wrestled in years. Once we fix that then we can have a re-alinement a d then districts. Sounds great to me one day regionals would be nice.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:11 PM, Coach Burton said:

Realignment would help with that.  On the flip side of the coin Region 7 has 20 teams if all the schools field a team.

Off the top of my head Fern Creek should be in Region 4 not Region 3 which would balance the two regions out somewhat, but they will still be the two smallest regions in the state participant wise. Louisville schools have been dropping programs and the AD's have shown no interest in re-adding programs. I guarantee at least one more, quite possibly more than that, programs will drop within the next 2-3 years

5 hours ago, FalconWrestling said:

Off the top of my head Fern Creek should be in Region 4 not Region 3 which would balance the two regions out somewhat, but they will still be the two smallest regions in the state participant wise. Louisville schools have been dropping programs and the AD's have shown no interest in re-adding programs. I guarantee at least one more, quite possibly more than that, programs will drop within the next 2-3 years

then go get a job and build one from not being victim of the drop bug ;) 

26 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

I tried to start a program at Butler and tried to restart Eastern and Ballard's programs. Like I said the AD's have no interest

cmon Rob. A no hasnt ever stopped you. haha. 

47 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

I tried to start a program at Butler and tried to restart Eastern and Ballard's programs. Like I said the AD's have no interest

How long ago did you talk to Butler? I just ask because I was talking to someone about year ago and they said the new AD was from Ohio Co I believe and he was hoping to start one. Not sure that was true but just thought I would see when maybe he is a new AD with new directions.

8 hours ago, panthers said:

How long ago did you talk to Butler? I just ask because I was talking to someone about year ago and they said the new AD was from Ohio Co I believe and he was hoping to start one. Not sure that was true but just thought I would see when maybe he is a new AD with new directions.

This was with the old AD, I'd still be open to doing it but have never talked to the new AD

9 hours ago, FalconWrestling said:

This was with the old AD, I'd still be open to doing it but have never talked to the new AD

I think I was talking about Bulter County and you are talking Butler high in Louisville after thinking about it. Sorry