I maintain optimism that KHSAA will allow us to compete this year, though it will look a bit different. The fact football is having 80% of a season gives me hope.

However, in the event they cancel the season, I’m concerned what impact that could have on our sport’s participation. 

What are some ideas, should they cancel the KHSAA season, that could keep kids engaged and competing? 

If the season is cancelled then will that open up the possibility of summer wrestling by school teams? 

Technically the coaches would be able to coach their kids and have practices with no restrictions because they were not coaches this year.  A whole summer season could be put together by the coaches around the state. 

It could be a stellar year for USA wrestling. 

The problem is venue. Under the scenario where a season is cancelled then my assumption would be that school gyms are off limits so getting a site to hold a tournament is going to be hard to do. Also will USA sanction/insure events if many state associations say it’s not safe (although I know there are many events getting insured around the country right now). 

My thought process was that by the time we get to the summer we would be in the clear.  Heck maybe even sooner.  It is something to think about.  If we can start the groundwork now just in case it may be successful. 

Trying to find a silver lining. If we don't have a regular season and hundreds or even thousands of kids wrestle over the summer this just might be a kick start to off-season wrestling in KY. 

I'm not sure what I am going to do if there is no wrestling season.  I have not had a winter off since 1981.  I've been to every state tourney since 1982.  My wife just might kill me if she has to see me every day after school through the winter, walking around the house with nothing to do.   LOL. 

This may sound unconventional, but what about a vacant warehouse as a potential destination? Some might enjoy the extra revenue it would generate they aren’t currently getting. I know my hometown in Oklahoma used an expo center for a tournament earlier this summer. I’m ignorant when it comes to the legal/insurance stuff, so I’m not sure how it would work. The UFC has fight island. We need our version.

I realize securing a place to compete may present some difficulties, however, I do know that there are tournaments being run throughout the country right now. How are they able to do it? What is their model? Could we replicate it in Kentucky if KHSAA cancels winter sports? I believe we can make it happen. The physical and mental health of our kids need it, in my opinion.

My granddaughter is suppose to wrestle in two venues in coming weeks. both are being held in large arenas that routinely host livestock shows. One listed the protocols, two 20' x 40' door sections will be left open. no air, but exhaust fans will be running continuously. Masks by all, except for wrestlers when competing. Social distancing must be maintained. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tdog'sPap said:

My granddaughter is suppose to wrestle in two venues in coming weeks. both are being held in large arenas that routinely host livestock shows. One listed the protocols, two 20' x 40' door sections will be left open. no air, but exhaust fans will be running continuously. Masks by all, except for wrestlers when competing. Social distancing must be maintained. 

That’s awesome! Were there waivers to be signed? How are they insured? Who is hosting? Any other requirements beyond what you listed?

yes to waiver, nuway for one, not sure on the other. temperature checks, one states you can bring a lawn chair as long as you stay 6 feet apart, so I am assuming they are opening up the floor and not using some of the seating. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tdog'sPap said:

yes to waiver, nuway for one, not sure on the other. temperature checks, one states you can bring a lawn chair as long as you stay 6 feet apart, so I am assuming they are opening up the floor and not using some of the seating. 

where yall going? 

We just had the plug pulled for football. Not looking promising for us for wrestling this yr either. Regardless of what KHSAA says

Just to update,I have reached out to khsaa for any answers and to offer help in decision making from the coaches association.

Today I got a response from Mr. Barren, our commissioner at khsaa. I appreciate him responding, Im sure he is getting emails to no end. And honestly,  this is the response I figured I would get.  We just are in a waiting game

"I can not tell you anything more then what has been posted by our Commissioner. This situation is so fluid, its a struggle for all of us. Please be patient and understand that no one, at this time, can tell you what the wrestling season will look like. I continue to prepare for as many variables as possible, with the hope that normalcy returns..."  - Mr. Barren

Honestly I think that if the COVID thing has not been resolved by say March/April, I think that we as a society will return to normal and resume life as normal with new testing and such. 

With that said. That would mean that a wrestling season has come and passed.  Insurance could be covered with a USA card.  As coaches I think KY could get a sort of spring/summer season going. I would think that we could get permission from KHSAA for the use of school uniforms and such. If not then rent them from the school for $1.  Put school teams together and compete.  If we start planning now maybe even have a sort of regional and state tourney.  Seems to me that we have enough interest in KY to accomplish this,  but not so big that it becomes a logistical nightmare.  

I know this is hopeful thinking but I really think this could be done. I just can't imagine not having some sort of season and if not then we should go down fighting.for one. 

18 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

where yall going? 

We just had the plug pulled for football. Not looking promising for us for wrestling this yr either. Regardless of what KHSAA says

Which school pulled plug.

Ok so I been reading different news about football and winter sports. With that being said if we in my district take the same rules that apply to football then this is what I see and the problems that exist. 

1) 1st only 80% schedule so 14 matches not 17.

2) Can't travel further than 2 hours unless for district match-ups and then only with permission.

3) No tourneys with more than 8 teams involved. (Individual tourneys gone)

4) No overnight stays.

5) Only out of state matches that the county touched state of KY.

So with these guidelines my entire schedule is cancelled except a few weekday meets. So my question is does anyone have new plans to look at maybe hosting new dual tourneys this season as I am sure we will all scramble for a place to go. Has anyone else heard anything like this or looked at our season under the rules that are being used to play football in their school. Just wondering.

2 hours ago, panthers said:

Ok so I been reading different news about football and winter sports. With that being said if we in my district take the same rules that apply to football then this is what I see and the problems that exist. 

1) 1st only 80% schedule so 14 matches not 17.

2) Can't travel further than 2 hours unless for district match-ups and then only with permission.

3) No tourneys with more than 8 teams involved. (Individual tourneys gone)

4) No overnight stays.

5) Only out of state matches that the county touched state of KY.

So with these guidelines my entire schedule is cancelled except a few weekday meets. So my question is does anyone have new plans to look at maybe hosting new dual tourneys this season as I am sure we will all scramble for a place to go. Has anyone else heard anything like this or looked at our season under the rules that are being used to play football in their school. Just wondering.

Right now it’s tough to schedule/plan anything with the uncertainty of what our season will look like let alone start. Hard to see us starting on our regular start dates with football and other fall sports being pushed back. Unfortunately, winter and spring sports are on the back burner until further notice.  

1 hour ago, pin2win said:

Right now it’s tough to schedule/plan anything with the uncertainty of what our season will look like let alone start. Hard to see us starting on our regular start dates with football and other fall sports being pushed back. Unfortunately, winter and spring sports are on the back burner until further notice.  

Agreed was just checking

Dont think tournaments are a complete no go. I say invite 8 teams, fill 8 man brackets with extras, and go with it. Honestly I like it much better then oversized money grab tournaments that run way too long and pack 25 teams in a gym made for half that. 

3 hours ago, coachteater said:

Dont think tournaments are a complete no go. I say invite 8 teams, fill 8 man brackets with extras, and go with it. Honestly I like it much better then oversized money grab tournaments that run way too long and pack 25 teams in a gym made for half that. 

That would be nice guess we will see. That's why I posted wanted to see other thoughts on things. Plus can't do anything else so why not kick up some dust.

On 8/17/2020 at 7:59 AM, coachteater said:

One of the biggest complaints about wrestling are the all day Saturday tournaments that mom/dad/grandma/etc. are attending.  Show up at 730 for weigh ins - your kid gets maybe 5 matches spread throughout the day - Saturday is gone.  I think that once or twice a season, these make sense.  Great measuring stick.

8 man tournaments or 6 team dual meets on a Saturday are huge.  I know of a school in Indiana that twice a year hosts 4-5 different schools.  Weigh ins at 9am.  Wrestling finished by 2-3pm.  sometimes awards.  Guaranteed 4-5 matches because of dual format.

Kentucky and wrestling in general needs more of that.

1 hour ago, bestmistake33 said:

One of the biggest complaints about wrestling are the all day Saturday tournaments that mom/dad/grandma/etc. are attending.  Show up at 730 for weigh ins - your kid gets maybe 5 matches spread throughout the day - Saturday is gone.  I think that once or twice a season, these make sense.  Great measuring stick.

8 man tournaments or 6 team dual meets on a Saturday are huge.  I know of a school in Indiana that twice a year hosts 4-5 different schools.  Weigh ins at 9am.  Wrestling finished by 2-3pm.  sometimes awards.  Guaranteed 4-5 matches because of dual format.

1 hour ago, bestmistake33 said:

Yeah we do mostly duals for just that reason. We always tried to do at least one big individual just so our kids could get the experience for Regional or State. It would be nice to see more 8 man if the brackets are full.