Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Wrestling trivia question

Was telling someone about how Mark Hall took 2nd in Ky before he went on to win 6 state championships. That got me thinking, is he the only hs wrestler to be a 7x placer ? 7x finalist? Ive dont some googling, but cant find anything.

Not sure about the 7 time finalist. But how about this trivia question:

What NCAA D1 Basketball coach was the head coach of a high school state champion wrestling team? 

I have mentioned this before a while ago when doing research on team state titles of all states. 

Hint: The state title was pre-World War II. 

He won a wrestling state championship as a coach in Iowa in 1926.  I was flabergasted when I saw this and had to make sure it was THE Adolph Rupp and it was. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, coachteater said:

Was telling someone about how Mark Hall took 2nd in Ky before he went on to win 6 state championships. That got me thinking, is he the only hs wrestler to be a 7x placer ? 7x finalist? Ive dont some googling, but cant find anything.

Heck Hall had a close match in the semis if I remember. His time in KY wasn't a cake walk. But he was so young then.

15 minutes ago, CradleKY said:

Heck Hall had a close match in the semis if I remember. His time in KY wasn't a cake walk. But he was so young then.

9-2 over Will Bryant of Lafayette.  

On 6/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, grappler-of-old said:

He won a wrestling state championship as a coach in Iowa in 1926.  I was flabergasted when I saw this and had to make sure it was THE Adolph Rupp and it was. 

IMG_20200201_072225.jpg