Sign in to follow this  
Tbagnky

Wrestling season being pushed back?

With the uncertainty surrounding the coming school year, has anyone heard anything about winter sports' start date being pushed back? I know many wrestlers also play football and can not wrestle until the football team plays their last game. I saw Mr Tackett's comments earlier and he said they may have a December finish for football.

13 hours ago, Tbagnky said:

With the uncertainty surrounding the coming school year, has anyone heard anything about winter sports' start date being pushed back? I know many wrestlers also play football and can not wrestle until the football team plays their last game. I saw Mr Tackett's comments earlier and he said they may have a December finish for football.

I highly doubt it gets pushed back unless we have a huge outbreak again this winter. JT comments I felt were in response to the huge bowl games and having to consider it with the partnerships with BBall. We do not have a partnership with UK like BBall does.

I see it happening...my connection with college officiating got an email this morning that he shared with my family and I. The college wrestling officials have been told by a "higher up" (my source didn't say who exactly) that they are looking at possibly starting College Wrestling in January with little to no pre-season. If there is another outbreak of this virus...they also mentioned canceling wrestling season all together at the college level. While I REALLY hope it is just a rumor there is now a possibility apparently.

Lets hope with other sports starting back, wrestling season can go on as normal. This should be a state decision anyway. Only issues would be national tournaments. I hope those are unaffected.

A lot can and will change. I do not foresee a traditional high school wrestling season though. The risks are too high. Best case is an after Christmas start, which is a good thing for the health of the sport in Ky anyway.