Sign in to follow this  
NO-OX 1

Team Trophy Awards?

Just curious why they give a Small School Champ and Runner up award but they don’t give a Big School Champ and Runner up Award. Seem like if they do that for small school, Christian Co should have been Big School Champ, then an Overall Championship should be awarded. Kinda slights the Big School with the most points!!! Just wondering!!! 

• Upvote 1

I don't have the history to back this up concretely, but I believe the small school award is a coaches association award which was designed to recognize the small schools performances in light of not having access to a pool of participants which a larger school would. Obviously, in the past several years, a small school has been cleaning up quite well.

• Upvote 1

Couldn’t agree more Coach B. I’ve always thought that if we HAVE TO split classes, and a small school wins overall, the coach’s association award should go to the big school, and if a big school wins overall, the coach’s association award should go to the small school. Seems pretty logical and the award shouldn’t need a name change if it’s something like,  Coach’s Association School Class State Championship. To be honest, I believe I neither. People who will argue this will be people who truly believe we need 2 classes. I am not one of those fans. Nominations are due for new officers. I will absolutely back someone who will put an end to this 2 class madness and get us back to competing for one championship. From the beginning, I have felt that we are too small to have 2 classes. I think we are too small to have a 32 man state tournament. Some regions, a guy gets to State by weighing in, in other regions there are quality guys left out. That’s crap. You should earn your way to the big show. Districts, Regions and State. That’s the way it should be done. Do away with this dreadful 32 man bracket and 2 State dual titles. Quit giving away participation trophies at the high school level. Let these young MEN GROW UP! 

21 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

Couldn’t agree more Coach B. I’ve always thought that if we HAVE TO split classes, and a small school wins overall, the coach’s association award should go to the big school, and if a big school wins overall, the coach’s association award should go to the small school. Seems pretty logical and the award shouldn’t need a name change if it’s something like,  Coach’s Association School Class State Championship. To be honest, I believe I neither. People who will argue this will be people who truly believe we need 2 classes. I am not one of those fans. Nominations are due for new officers. I will absolutely back someone who will put an end to this 2 class madness and get us back to competing for one championship. From the beginning, I have felt that we are too small to have 2 classes. I think we are too small to have a 32 man state tournament. Some regions, a guy gets to State by weighing in, in other regions there are quality guys left out. That’s crap. You should earn your way to the big show. Districts, Regions and State. That’s the way it should be done. Do away with this dreadful 32 man bracket and 2 State dual titles. Quit giving away participation trophies at the high school level. Let these young MEN GROW UP! 

individual state needs to stay 32 man brackets. A simple reclassification fixes those problems. There are a few regions that are apples to oranges for #s. 

I think if you’re going to give a small school state champion a big school should be as well. 

I agree with you Not splitting individual state. I think adding girls is a bigger priority than splitting large/small. 

5 hours ago, Nike Man said:

I think we are too small to have a 32 man state tournament. Some regions, a guy gets to State by weighing in, in other regions there are quality guys left out. That’s crap. You should earn your way to the big show. Districts, Regions and State. That’s the way it should be done. Do away with this dreadful 32 man bracket a

I was against the 32 man bracket when it was proposed, I thought the same exact way.  I was told that it would help expand wrestling by getting more kids to the state tourney, therefore more kids stay wrestling and teams grow and more teams start participating. Smaller schools and smaller teams would keep more kids out. I thought it was all hogwash. 

However I was proven wrong, it worked.  In the 90's there were about 60 teams, no more than 70  We are now up to over 100, in a little over a generation we have added over 30 teams to the state.  I had to eat my hat on this one.  I was wro.... wron.... OK i'll get it out I was wrong.  

Maybe one day as we continue to grow and there are 20+ teams in a region we can split them and make districts out of them.  Man would that be nice 16 districts and 8 regions. I think if we can get to about 130 schools we could do this.