Sign in to follow this  
Checkmate

MOW ?

There’s a few ways to go about MOW like we’ve talked on here before. To me at least Lehman had the best tournament, Moore was the most dominant and either of the Ervin twins had the best careers ending this year. So any way you look at it I’m not really sure how deck beats those guys listed above in regards to MOW. Could be the fact that he was on crouches a month ago (that’s what I heard) and made it back to win a state title.

3 minutes ago, Eat at Joe's said:

That was Deck's 3rd state title. 

2018 - 113

2019 - 126

2020 - 132

seems legit to me. 

Your absolutely right, to call him a stud is an understatement, and he’s not even done yet. But there were more deserving wrestlers to win MOW at this years tournament.

Could have gone to Lehman, Moore, the Ervin’s, Mayer, etc. But for me (and I’m biased), I would have given it to Insko. Beat Cowan in the quarters, Rider in the semis and Yost in the finals. There were a few very deserving individuals and I can see how you could give it to about 7–8 guys.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Eat at Joe's said:

That was Deck's 3rd state title. 

2018 - 113

2019 - 126

2020 - 132

seems legit to me. 

That is awesome but it’s MOW for this tournament not past tournaments combined. Spencer Moore and Daulton Mayer both dominated their weight classes I don’t think any of their matches made it out of the first period. Lehman had the best tournament considering upsets. What Deck was awesome coming in after being hurt!! It was an great tournament a lot of deserving young men

yeah, but it's subjective. You're entitled to your opinion and the voting coaches, theirs. Since I am not one of those, I was adding some facts into the process as to why some might have voted for him. 

4 minutes ago, Eat at Joe's said:

yeah, but it's subjective. You're entitled to your opinion and the voting coaches, theirs. Since I am not one of those, I was adding some facts into the process as to why some might have voted for him. 

You are completely right!!! We all have our own opinions. It went to a great wrestler!!!! Can’t wait till next year!

The MOW  award is fun for all. I'd like to see an academic all state team added for seniors. I see post regarding sportsmanship, Let's give a wrestler a sportsmanship award. Let's promote what we preach. Just a few ideas that may motivate??? Thoughts???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Seems as if someone has a problem with academics and sportsmanship.  These awards don’t require much effort from admin. Should only be seniors with a 4 year total gpa. Sportsmanship is pretty self explanatory.  And yes that young man assisting/carrying an injured opponent was outstanding.  Hats off to him. School and parents should be proud. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

There use to be a sportsmanship award for individual wrestlers.  I'm not sure when it stopped. 

What’s your opinion on academic  all state team?  Good or bad!! I think it would add to the state meet. Announcing them at state. They must be a state qualifier in my opinion.  So they would be there to get award.  Could be just a certificate.  

• Upvote 1

Another thing I thought of would be a Mr. Kentucky wrestling award. We’ve talked a lot on here about who should have won the MOW and I think it would be good to have a separate award for the best wrestler at the state tournament (MOW) and an award for the wrestler That had the best season or career (Mr.Kentucky wrestling). For example I would give this years MOW to Ty Lehman, and I would give Mr Kentucky wrestling to spencer Moore, cole Thomas or one of the Ervins.

1 hour ago, take em to the mat said:

What’s your opinion on academic  all state team?  Good or bad!! I think it would add to the state meet. Announcing them at state. They must be a state qualifier in my opinion.  So they would be there to get award.  Could be just a certificate.  

There is an academic all state award.  Honorable mention is for students who maintian a 3.25 or better, and First Team All State is given for a GPS of over 3.75.

https://khsaa.org/academic-all-state-honoree-listing-announced/

29 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

There is an academic all state award.  Honorable mention is for students who maintian a 3.25 or better, and First Team All State is given for a GPS of over 3.75.

https://khsaa.org/academic-all-state-honoree-listing-announced/

Wrestlers only award. State qualifiers only. Too be recognized at the state meet. This is to possibly make state a bit more interesting for families and schools. It's great KHSAA does a broad award like that.  I would think this could be from the coaches association.

4 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

There use to be a sportsmanship award for individual wrestlers.  I'm not sure when it stopped. 

It’s a shame this has fallen by the wayside. As you get older, you realize that award is often times more important than a state title. I know they had this in 2007, Chris Espinoza (McCreary County) won the honor that year. 

31 minutes ago, coachteater said:

Kywca does do academic all state awards. Member schools get email on it and we mail awards out

Would it be possible to announce these kids at state? Give them their certificate in front of the crowd? Just thinking positive exposure in every area possible. 

1 hour ago, take em to the mat said:

Wrestlers only award. State qualifiers only. Too be recognized at the state meet. This is to possibly make state a bit more interesting for families and schools. It's great KHSAA does a broad award like that.  I would think this could be from the coaches association.

I hate the idea of excluding the non state qualifiers from receiving recognition for Academic Allstate.