Sign in to follow this  
Wkywrestler

Takeaways from state

Another year another tournament

- compared to last 2 or 3 years, I felt like attendance was up, at least for the finals, just me? Are there any numbers on this?

- union county has to be getting bored..... seriously though when is their ESPN 30 for 30 coming out.

- I really feel like the higher ups are slowly starting to make the tournament a little better, still steps do be taken particularly in the aspect of presentation but I do realize the horse park has limitations..... operantly putting a mat in the middle of the floor is one of them. 

- also, year in and year out I notice the same few teams display absolutely terrible sportsmanship, kids running of the mat knocking things over, mouthing to opponents of they loose, putting opponents in very dangerous locks when they are down late etc. part of the sport? I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.... if you feel like I’m talking about your team then I probably am.

with all that being said, absolutely great wrestling like always, already excited for next year.

Your thoughts?

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Wkywrestler said:

Another year another tournament

- compared to last 2 or 3 years, I felt like attendance was up, at least for the finals, just me? Are there any numbers on this?

- union county has to be getting bored..... seriously though when is their ESPN 30 for 30 coming out.

- I really feel like the higher ups are slowly starting to make the tournament a little better, still steps do be taken particularly in the aspect of presentation but I do realize the horse park has limitations..... operantly putting a mat in the middle of the floor is one of them. 

- also, year in and year out I notice the same few teams display absolutely terrible sportsmanship, kids running of the mat knocking things over, mouthing to opponents of they loose, putting opponents in very dangerous locks when they are down late etc. part of the sport? I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.... if you feel like I’m talking about your team then I probably am.

with all that being said, absolutely great wrestling like always, already excited for next year.

Your thoughts?

I’m going to make my post into 2 parts.

first off, My kid made the comment the attendance was higher Friday than last yr in the finals. The finals atmosphere was not what it’s been but still good!! 

the mat not in the middle is questionable IF and ONLY if it effected the computers for track.

Sportsmanship was better this yr than years past.

I normally am one who doesn’t say this because I know their job can be difficult but kudos to the officials this year. I overheard of coaches saying how the officiating was much better this year than years past. I found myself thanking a few for letting matches play out I was in. They normally get the crap end but the majority id say was better.

I have been in attendance for some historic team wins what union county did was awesome to see. I do not think we will see a challenger in a long time or if ever. 

I don’t recall much if at all very dirty or unsportsmanlike going on at state this year. If you’re going to come on here and make aloof accusations at least be man enough to speak to specifics. Say what team you’re alluding to.

I’m just a dummy from Louisville but I feel like everyone forgets that woodford co. won 5 state championships in a row in all of our life times. Union County is certainly in the Ky Wrestling history books but a lot of people who are older than me act as if what they’re doing has never been done. 

In all seriousness my 2 ultimate takeaways from this years tournament were 1. the state of wrestling in Kentucky is in a good place. And 2. I really worry about what will happen once Spencer Moore graduates... 

This was a trial run for using the cameras and computers at the tables for the mats. That is the reason the mat wasnt moved, the wires were taped down and apparently not long enough to go to center. It will try to be corrected for next year.

I wish they would have just made an announcement to let people know why. 

4 hours ago, 385 said:

I don’t recall much if at all very dirty or unsportsmanlike going on at state this year. If you’re going to come on here and make aloof accusations at least be man enough to speak to specifics. Say what team you’re alluding to.

I’m just a dummy from Louisville but I feel like everyone forgets that woodford co. won 5 state championships in a row in all of our life times. Union County is certainly in the Ky Wrestling history books but a lot of people who are older than me act as if what they’re doing has never been done. 

In all seriousness my 2 ultimate takeaways from this years tournament were 1. the state of wrestling in Kentucky is in a good place. And 2. I really worry about what will happen once Spencer Moore graduates... 

Agreed! Woodford had a run. I was alluding to the points scored.

I was sitting with Rusty Sr all day yesterday. He told me Woodford never put more than 2 together at a time. Quite a few of those. Need a fact checker! Curious to know

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

This was a trial run for using the cameras and computers at the tables for the mats. That is the reason the mat wasnt moved, the wires were taped down and apparently not long enough to go to center. It will try to be corrected for next year.

Kudos to KY USA wrestling for making this happen!!! I think it was awesome to have it and I overheard a few parents say grandparents got to see their kid wrestle for the first time ever. Thank you Jon Carr 

• Upvote 1

Just spoke with Rusty Senior, 72,73 and 74 was the three peat for a Woodford! It’s so cool to hang out with a man with such unbelievable knowledge and love for KY Wrestling and more than that Jesus!!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, coachteater said:

Next year, maybe they can put the dashboard up on the Jumbotron instead of a team score list. 

• Like 1

I went Friday and thought attendance was better than in the past. Had to do trackwrestling yesterday. Someone needs to remind the table workers that the mike is hot. A lady overheard in the finals sounded like a blithering idiot. I'll admit that having it on track was really nice plus it is cheaper than a single session pass.

The tournament ran so much smoother with John and Jase Carr and Jason Hale with the track wrestling. I know Ryle high school purchased it and had it on at school Friday at lunch for all the students to cheer on their friends. Also so many friends reached out about watching it on Friday while at work. TRACK was a huge hit this year. Again, thank you to Jon Carr for all he does for this sport. Secondly, I want to say thank you to the Officials this weekend. From the matches I watched and coached, they  allowed the wrestlers to wrestle and continued to keep up a good pace. I don’t remember seeing or hearing of a match decided by a call the official made, instead of what the wrestler did. Competition looked awesome and the finals had some incredible matches. Look forward to the KHSAA preplanning for next years roll up of the mats and moving the main mat to the middle. Hopefully they will embrace the fact that all the coaches wrestlers and fans want to always do what showcases these great athletes and continue to put the student athlete first ahead of what’s easier and quicker. Thank you Kentucky Wrestling for another great year!!

• Upvote 3

My biggest takeaway is this:

Congrats to Union on breaking the scoring record and setting the # to where IMO I do not think it will ever be broken. 

The state of wrestling in KY is much better than it's been in a while. Competitive matches all the way around and a TON of upsets. Finals had some excitement. Semifinals were awesome.

Stands had more people in it. Jon Carr and company made it happen to where schools were able to watch matches. Came to school today and get told by quite a few people they watched wrestling for the first time because teachers had it pulled up. 

We as a state are improving the quality of wrestling overall. Let's continue to build off of this!

• Upvote 5

$20 a ticket for entrance fee is too stiff. Families want to bring brother, sister, and maybe grandma and are spending over $100 just to get in and sit around for 8 hours. Some schools let their students attend in support of their wrestling classmate without burning an unexcused day on Friday, but teenagers are loathe to have to spend on gas, $5 parking, $20 ticket and another $20-$25 for food just to support a classmate. Want to increase attendance? Lower entry fees. Prohibiting coolers and charging $7 for a chicken sandwich and $4 for a water is highway robbery too. I can pay it, but many can't. I too though the event was better with the tech this year compared to the previous two, but this feels a lot more like a Cincinatti Reds game than a KHSAA school event.  Just my .02.

• Upvote 3

just want to apologize to anyone watching on mat 7 Friday, and mat 5 Saturday, I didn’t realize how much you could hear on those mics until i watched one of the matches. so if you heard any choice words i apologize lol 

5 minutes ago, Blockay said:

just want to apologize to anyone watching on mat 7 Friday, and mat 5 Saturday, I didn’t realize how much you could hear on those mics until i watched one of the matches. so if you heard any choice words i apologize lol 

Lol. I had an F bomb go across one match. My kids watching it back at home blew my phone up with "push ups coach" I am pretty sure you're good.

• Like 1

One more thought for the cameras next year, can we set up a "Mat" to be a camera on the medal presentation? Seems like there would be enough time/spare equipment on the second day when going from 8 to 6 mats. Whether Track or a YouTube live stream is used for that part, it would be great. Please don't make it FaceBook as there are some who don't use it, like me :)

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

$20 a ticket for entrance fee is too stiff. Families want to bring brother, sister, and maybe grandma and are spending over $100 just to get in and sit around for 8 hours. Some schools let their students attend in support of their wrestling classmate without burning an unexcused day on Friday, but teenagers are loathe to have to spend on gas, $5 parking, $20 ticket and another $20-$25 for food just to support a classmate. Want to increase attendance? Lower entry fees. Prohibiting coolers and charging $7 for a chicken sandwich and $4 for a water is highway robbery too. I can pay it, but many can't. I too though the event was better with the tech this year compared to the previous two, but this feels a lot more like a Cincinatti Reds game than a KHSAA school event.  Just my .02.

Ticket price is a bit high. I am about to spend 20 dollars total to go to the TN state tournament Saturday after I get a water and food.  

No one says you have to buy food in the arena, give your friends the food to bring in...... I know that happens quite often. But coolers being prohibited... You cannot take a cooler to a reds game can you? I am ok with all of how it's run. Most of it is contracted so no reason to complain about something that cannot be changed. 

This was the first year we didn't wrestle the matches in order by the bout numbers. If we are going to continue to do it this way might want to put mat assignments on the big screen for all to see and tell people. I personally liked the old way of next available but I get it this is the way all trackwrestling is done now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, panthers said:

This was the first year we didn't wrestle the matches in order by the bout numbers. If we are going to continue to do it this way might want to put mat assignments on the big screen for all to see and tell people. I personally liked the old way of next available but I get it this is the way all trackwrestling is done now.

I thought at first it was a bit confusing but once we got rolling I honestly liked it. I agree the big screen needs to be used. Good to see you as well!! 

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Agree 110%

Indiana's this Friday and Saturday: "Admission: $10 per session or $20 both days. Children 24 months old and younger admitted free of charge." and its at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

46 minutes ago, Rtrburn76 said:

Agree 110%

Indiana's this Friday and Saturday: "Admission: $10 per session or $20 both days. Children 24 months old and younger admitted free of charge." and its at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

And there will be 40,000 plus in attendance

1 hour ago, panthers said:

Trust me, Jon Carr tried to make that happen and some of the KHSAA members were not too happy with that idea. I bet that'll be done next year. 

• Upvote 1