Sign in to follow this  
Purple&Gold

Biggest Upset at State

What do you all believe were some of the biggest upsets at state this year, and which was the most surprising? I personally think that Tucker Shelton's loss to Watkins was the most surprising.

#3 in the state Watkins is a great wrestler.  Desales had a awesome season and Watkins making finals was a great accomplishment and he was well deserving.  Tucker Shelton wrestled the past two weeks with a separated shoulder, won his 4th region title and finished in 3rd place wrestling injured.  There were a lot of top kids in the state wrestling inured this weekend.   Seen a lot of gutsy performances by kids wrestling hurt.   

4 minutes ago, Wkywrestler said:

I would say Ty Lehman going the distance beating Merritt and Pogue was one of the bigger surprises of the tournament  

Kid is a stud

2 hours ago, Wkywrestler said:

I would say Ty Lehman going the distance beating Merritt and Pogue was one of the bigger surprises of the tournament  

Hell of a tournament run for Lehman. Kid looked strong as an ox. Union has a JV kid coming up next year who beat Lehman at the raider rumble last season. He’s relatively unknown now but could be someone worth mentioning next season. Darius Moore over #2 Smith second round was huge. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Keepyourheadup said:

Gibson being up by 12 with 55 seconds left and getting caught and pinned was pretty surprising. He met the kid again in conso semis and teched him by middle of 2nd 

That was nuts. Jack James making the semifinals was a surprising run. Collin Teutsch made the semifinals for Caldwell County, beating Olivia Messerly second round. Then Messerly turns around and loses to a kid she beat twice this year from Campbell County. State is so unpredictable. Anything can happen. 

• Upvote 1

Charlie McKune pinning his way to the finals ran into a buzzsaw in Deck but still an impressive performance none the less by the freshman. 18th ranked Keaton Elliott over 4th ranked Gavin Andreoni and #2 ranked Seth Lutes in the 5th place match.  

3 hours ago, TrinityWrestling said:

Cox is going to be a nice addition to the Union squad next season. It was actually Lenhart that he beat at Ryle last year. Lehman lost to Pogue 4-2 in the finals of that tournament. 

I think Cox was a Senior this year? Hope I’m wrong. Kid is an absolute stud and no doubt helped the middle weights in the practice room. Guys like that are extremely valuable to a good team.

Elliston making it to the finals against Brown, Virzi and an undefeated Miller was a shock in our camp. Lehman had one hell of tournament also.

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

I think Cox was a Senior this year? Hope I’m wrong. Kid is an absolute stud and no doubt helped the middle weights in the practice room. Guys like that are extremely valuable to a good team.

He’s a junior. 

• Upvote 1