Kentucky Grappling

Was State Seeded this year?

1 hour ago, Keepyourheadup said:

It would be simple and easy

LOL now that is one of the funniest things I've seen on here in a while.  

coaches can't even agree on what time to start an event let alone seeds. 

If there not going to seed the Sweet 16 in basketball wrestling is not going to be seeded. 

Because of all the out of state matches throughout the year in wrestling it makes it very difficult.  It's also 14 times harder (14 wt classes) to keep up with the information.  

It would take someone with the dedication/willpower/knowledge and determination to accomplish this.  Just ask Ranger how hard it is to compile what he does. 

Now if we could find someone like Ranger who spent every day/week looking at outcomes and was able to set aside bias.  I would be aboard 100%.

I would guess at least 2-3 hours a day reviewing data throughout the year is what it would take. 

Who at KHSAA has any wrestling background and would be able to accomplish this? 

31 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Now if we could find someone like Ranger who spent every day/week looking at outcomes and was able to set aside bias.  I would be aboard 100%.

I would guess at least 2-3 hours a day reviewing data throughout the year is what it would take. 

Who at KHSAA has any wrestling background and would be able to accomplish this? 

In three years, Ranger needs to set this up as a contractor for the state. 

29 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

In three years, Ranger needs to set this up as a contractor for the state. 

While I have no doubt he would do an amazing job, If the KHSAA won’t pay for enough officials to have 2 for every single match at state... I doubt they throw up money for seeding :/

2 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

Now that there is a computer ranking seeding the state football playoffs, I dont know why they cant use one to seed the wrestling tournament. 

There is. Rankwrestlers.com already does it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

Rankwrestlers has a lot of flaws considering it is constrained by the data it has access to, the flaw isn't with the system per se but the issues of data management and scheduling

It would be a lot more accurate if people were forced to keep their track wrestling results updated weekly. It would be a great tool for ranking. The problem is some kids and teams from out of state aren’t on track at all so those wins and losses really only reflect against the record and not the overall score for a wrestler. 

• Upvote 1

But they do it in Tennessee, with a 32 man bracket, so it's not impossible. They have a system that factors in Head to head, Common opponents, previous placers and so on. It could be done, the powers that be just don't want to. js

Edited by naplesme
remove some information
  • Upvote 1

They will never seed the state tournament, however, one thing could make our state tournament very interesting. And, it can be done logistically w/o to much hassle. Wrestle for true 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, Tdog'sPap said:

They will never seed the state tournament, however, one thing could make our state tournament very interesting. And, it can be done logistically w/o to much hassle. Wrestle for true 2nd. 

Then the championship match would just be another round.  Wrestle back to a true 3rd if you want. Do not diminish the finals.

2 hours ago, take em to the mat said:

Then the championship match would just be another round.  Wrestle back to a true 3rd if you want. Do not diminish the finals.

Both equal the same thing. Terribly anticlimactic. I am a huge fan of all things wrestling, and I would not stick around to watch this silliness. You win or you lose...period. You get what you earn. A silver medal isn’t earned by a 2nd chance. At the end of the day, no one strives for 2nd place. Everyone wants to win. Nobody “wins” second place. 

We have come a long way. Here is a brief history of Ky state wrestling tourney.

I have no brackets from 1964-1970.

1971-1979--- 16 man bracket, no region, only top 2 went to state.  True follow your man tourney.  Only those who lost to finalists were pulled back into conso's for 3rd and 4th place.

1980-1985 -- 16 man bracket, top 4 in district went to region top 4 in region went to state. first round follow your man. if you lost in 1st round you were pulled back into conso's only if the man who beat you won.  Placed top 6, but only top 4 received medals. 

1986-1987-- 8 man bracket. top 4 in district went to region, top 4 in region went to semi-state, top 4 in semi-state went to state. 2 and out tourney placed top 4.

1988-2001--16 man bracket top 4 in district went to region top 4 in region went to state. 2 and out tourney. Placed top 6. (Gave ribbons to 5th and 6th for a few year then medals)

2002-present-32 man bracket top 4 in (old districts) region went to state. 2 and out touney place top 8. 

1964-1987---- 12 wt. classes

1987-1995----13 wt. classes

1996-present 14 wt.classes

Weight classes changed 9 times in the history of Ky wrestling. (lowest wt. class 95lbs 1964-1970) (98lbs 1971-1987) (103lbs 1988-2011) (100lbs  1995 only) (106lbs 2012-Present)