Wkywrestler

Toughest weight classes at state

106 should absolutely be a weight class...just at the JV level. 8th and 9th graders who win state at 106 aren’t better wrestlers than their peers at heavier weights who get handled by seniors. Of course they end up more decorated but only because they win against middle schoolers.

Not a single senior is ranked at 106 this season in Ky. it’s just not as impressive when a freshman wins a state title at that weight class because freshman nearly always win it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Unless your last name is Myers, a 7th grader will be 12 or 13 years old. I see two 7th graders ranked at 106 and no seniors. For that reason I think it should be a JV only weight. 

8 of 25 ranked are not even old enough to be in high school!!  That’s ridiculous  

F5135292-9CA7-470E-801C-3BF1637BB29A.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Spoken like a dad and not a wrestling fan. 

106 should be eliminated at the varsity level. Lowest class should be 113. Too many 12 year olds competing in “high school” events. Virtually no seniors and few juniors at that weight class. Too many high school weights presently and the no-brainer move is to eliminate 106 and 220.

Make 106 a JV only weight because that’s effectively what it is when 8th and 9th graders are winning it year in and year out. 

Spoken like someone who has a fully functioning brain. 

It’s not about grade it is ability. I guess based on what I saw yesterday at Region 6 which is unquestionably consistently the toughest region in the state we should drop 160. I watched a 7th grader go 4-1 with 4 pins. 

Crawl back in your hole with your jealousy; yes these young kids are better than you before they get their license. 

37 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

Unless your last name is Myers, a 7th grader will be 12 or 13 years old. I see two 7th graders ranked at 106 and no seniors. For that reason I think it should be a JV only weight. 

8 of 25 ranked are not even old enough to be in high school!!  That’s ridiculous  

Agreed, 106 is outdated. The boomers need to get with the times

• Downvote 1

Totally agree with Ranger. If it’s just 2 sophomores and 2 juniors ranked in top ten , it’s worth having for those kids. My son was 106 junior yr, 126 senior yr. Wrestled college. Make it a jv weight chances are a 106 jr will be done. One of best wrestlers in State is a106 lb Sophomore who is Nationally ranked. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Last year's 106 weight class was loaded with talent! I think looking back in a few years people will realize how loaded it really was.... We shouldn't be pushing to get rid of any weights! It's a dumb idea . The participantion and numbers are growing! Not everyone grows at the same rate... We need to keep all the weight classes that we already have!!!!  #KentuckyWrestling300

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

It’s not about grade it is ability. I guess based on what I saw yesterday at Region 6 which is unquestionably consistently the toughest region in the state we should drop 160. I watched a 7th grader go 4-1 with 4 pins. 

Crawl back in your hole with your jealousy; yes these young kids are better than you before they get their license. 

Taking opportunities from the kids that can make 106 would have a big ripple effect on 113 and 120 kids which ultimately would affect some juniors and seniors.  This would hurt the overall growth and quality of the sport, as many of these little kids turn into bigger kids.  I'm not really a fan of cutting any weights, but if you had to cut a weight, 220 would make a lot more sense than cutting 106.  Pound for Pound, 106 is always more competitive at a high level than 220.  Who cares if it's 7th 8th and 9th graders. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Taking opportunities from the kids that can make 106 would have a big ripple effect on 113 and 120 kids which ultimately would affect some juniors and seniors.  This would hurt the overall growth and quality of the sport, as many of these little kids turn into bigger kids.  I'm not really a fan of cutting any weights, but if you had to cut a weight, 220 would make a lot more sense than cutting 106.  Pound for Pound, 106 is always more competitive at a high level than 220.  Who cares if it's 7th 8th and 9th graders. 

Not sure why 220 is being singled out, but I don’t think that’s a fair comparison for a couple of reasons. First, in the last 5 years, 220 has produced an NCAA qualifier and a NAIA champion. Secondly, you can’t stand on a platform about not eliminating opportunities for high school kids, then suggest to cut a weight class that is largely dominated by upperclassmen. I’m not advocating that 106 should be eliminated, but I’m not sure I follow your logic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old wrestler said:

Not sure why 220 is being singled out, but I don’t think that’s a fair comparison for a couple of reasons. First, in the last 5 years, 220 has produced an NCAA qualifier and a NAIA champion. Secondly, you can’t stand on a platform about not eliminating opportunities for high school kids, then suggest to cut a weight class that is largely dominated by upperclassmen. I’m not advocating that 106 should be eliminated, but I’m not sure I follow your logic.

First, I don't want to see any weight classes eliminated.  IF a class was to be cut, 220 would make more sense than 106.  Year after year, 220 and Heavy aren't terribly deep, and combining them in my opinion would impact less wrestlers, AND align better with the college level.  Reed and Myers wouldn't have been impacted much if at all had they been forced to bump up to Heavy in HS and likely would have faced better competition, and been better prepared for college.  And really, Reed and Myers are the exception.  Eliminating 106 would impact far more high level wrestlers than eliminating 220.  But as I said, I don't want to see any classes eliminated.  

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

First, I don't want to see any weight classes eliminated.  IF a class was to be cut, 220 would make more sense than 106.  Year after year, 220 and Heavy aren't terribly deep, and combining them in my opinion would impact less wrestlers, AND align better with the college level.  Reed and Myers wouldn't have been impacted much if at all had they been forced to bump up to Heavy in HS and likely would have faced better competition, and been better prepared for college.  And really, Reed and Myers are the exception.  Eliminating 106 would impact far more high level wrestlers than eliminating 220.  But as I said, I don't want to see any classes eliminated.  

I have no dog in the fight, I wrestled 184 in college. It just seems like the bigger guys get called out a lot. 106 and 220 are very different weight classes with very different styles. Hard to really compare the two weight classes, at least in my opinion. There may be more technique at 106, but physical development has to go to 220 (just due to age alone). I can agree there have been some studs that have come out of 106, but that is typically early on in their career, and not when they’re at their peak. We can both agree that cutting weight classes is the opposite of what will help to grow wrestling. Thank you for the response. Unlike the college forum, it’s nice to have an intelligent conversation with people that have varying opinions. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Old wrestler said:

I have no dog in the fight, I wrestled 184 in college. It just seems like the bigger guys get called out a lot. 106 and 220 are very different weight classes with very different styles. Hard to really compare the two weight classes, at least in my opinion. There may be more technique at 106, but physical development has to go to 220 (just due to age alone). I can agree there have been some studs that have come out of 106, but that is typically early on in their career, and not when they’re at their peak. We can both agree that cutting weight classes is the opposite of what will help to grow wrestling. Thank you for the response. Unlike the college forum, it’s nice to have an intelligent conversation with people that have varying opinions. 

My kid was a little guy who wrestled at 113 as and 8th grader, 195 as a Junior/senior, and as a heavy in college.  So he got to experience both sides of the coin.  Unfortunately, big guys nowadays tend to lean towards football and stay away from wrestling.  I see fewer big kids wrestling at youth and middle school than even what we saw 5 or 6 years ago, and there's almost zero depth at all at the high school level above 195.  You can always find a young kid to fill 106 in the lineup.  Not so much at 220.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:11 PM, halfhalfhalf said:

Am I counting 11 state finalists from that year?

Remember the guy who got on here and argued 106 shouldn't even be a weight class LOL. Fun times.

7 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Oh speak of the devil lol

8 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Nah. The top freshman and sophomores at 106 aren’t any more skilled wrestlers than the top frosh/sophomores at 126 or 152. The difference  is the heavier weights are competing against upperclassmen while the top kids at 106 are dominating middle schoolers and freshman. It doesn’t make any sense to carve out a class for middle schoolers and 9th/10th graders. 

...and don’t take it personally. I’m sure your kid is special. He just shouldn’t be called a high school state champion. Jealous?  Nah. I’m way passed that and so are my boys. They’ve done pretty well for themselves and I’m happy, too. 

There aren’t 10 schools in Kentucky who can field an entire team. There are too many weight classes making for too many forfeits. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Union, Christian, Woodford, St. X, Trinity, Johnson Central, Madison Central, Larue, Meade, Oldham, Ryle, Simon Kenton, Campbell and many more had full lineups all year.. the weight classes are perfect and won’t change anytime soon. A lot of our elite wrestlers started out as 106 pounders. 

• Upvote 3

Nkawtg, look at the results nation wide and then comeback to argue. I’m not gonna do your homework for you, but your theory is going to be shot all to hell. I don’t have a problem with adding to weight classes no matter how light or heavy or anywhere in between. As long as it promotes wrestling, I’m in favor. Your idea cuts kids out. That does not promote growth. If an 8th grade girl beats a 12th grade boy for a KHSAA State Championship, I guess that is one badass girl. Just saying

• Upvote 1

Maybe I’m missing something, but isn’t Walton Verona’s 106 ranked 3rd.... IN THE COUNTRY?  Not any more skilled than 126 or 152... I beg to differ.  I don’t think I see any 126’s ranked that high in the country.  

National rankings take a lot more than beating some middle school kids.  

106 is a very worthy weight class.   Kids grow at different rates.  For the good of the sport, the last thing we need to be doing is cutting out opportunities to participate.  

23 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Spoken like a dad and not a wrestling fan. 

106 should be eliminated at the varsity level. Lowest class should be 113. Too many 12 year olds competing in “high school” events. Virtually no seniors and few juniors at that weight class. Too many high school weights presently and the no-brainer move is to eliminate 106 and 220.

Make 106 a JV only weight because that’s effectively what it is when 8th and 9th graders are winning it year in and year out. 

You do that and you knock out many wrestlers.  I would bet that almost half the teams in KY do NOT have a JV schedule or for that matter many JV wrestlers.  You would have many of them quitting because they are not able to compete all year. 

106 pounds (Division 1)

1. Cole Skinner, Cincinnati LaSalle, sophomore (K. Fairmont)

2. Pacey Nasdusak, Mason, junior (K. Fairmont)

3. Sean Seefeldt, St. Edward, sophomore (Mentor)

4. Kollin Howard, Maple Hts., junior (Hoover)

5. Peyton Fenton, Elyria, freshman (Mentor)

6. Mason Brugh, Wadsworth, freshman (Hoover)

7. Cael Saxton, Avon, sophomore (Mentor)

8. Johnny Novak, St. Ignatius, junior (Hoover)

9. Marlon Yarbrough, Copley, sophomore (Hoover)

10. Pito Castro, Brecksville, freshman (Hoover)

11. C.J. Bell, Solon, senior (Hoover)

12. Jake Vayo-Smith, Sycamore, senior (K. Fairmont)

13. Corey Haney, Medina Highland, freshman (Hoover)

14. Drew Dulcie, Massillon Perry, freshman (Hoover)

15. Dylan Le, Dublin Scioto, sophomore (H. Darby)

16. Thomas Cassetty, Uniontown Lake, freshman (Hoover)

17. Tony Pendergraff, Oregon Clay, junior (Mentor)

Seniors (2)

Juniors (4)

Sophomore (5)

Freshman ((6)

This is Ohio Div. 1 rankings.  you would  be leaving out 6 upper classman without 106. and 11 non freshman. 

Remember we go with National rules not just Ky rules. 

I can speak from 3 aspects of this weight class and the need for it. I wrestled lightweight at first and it grew my love for the sport. That love Grew into coaching over the last 12 years in NKY and that love created a 92 lb 8th grade that was allowed to compete at 106 his 8th grade year and finish 3rd. The following year that freshman was at weight at 106 and won 106lb. Without that weight class, high school boys that are freshman and sophomores have 1 less opportunity to fall in love with this sport and go on to grow it with their children.  I’ve had the privilege to travel nationally and watch some of the most skilled 106 lb kids compete in the nation. Watched the same young man My son had wrestled 6 times Their freshman year,  go on to place at Super 32’s amongst others and become Nationally Ranked today. I get to watch daily the 1st 106 lb Ryle freshman female qualify for state. That same female freshman was a world team champion. Imagine if we listened to closed minded people that only want to shrink the sport because Of a few forfeits or some team allows a 8th grader to fill their line up. I guess kids like my son, Irvin’s, Moore’s, Messerly, Wheeler, Yost etc don’t have a place in the large volume of HS wrestling in Kentucky. Good luck to all the 106, 220 and all the weights in between wrestling this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bestmistake33 said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but isn’t Walton Verona’s 106 ranked 3rd.... IN THE COUNTRY?  Not any more skilled than 126 or 152... I beg to differ.  I don’t think I see any 126’s ranked that high in the country.  

National rankings take a lot more than beating some middle school kids.  

106 is a very worthy weight class.   Kids grow at different rates.  For the good of the sport, the last thing we need to be doing is cutting out opportunities to participate.  

You just proved my point. There aren’t many freshman ranked at the higher weights because they are competing against upperclassmen. The rankings at 106 are simply a ranking of freshman and sophomores. 

Change is coming to the weight class structure. Of course we need to enable our younger kids to compete. But to argue a 106 weight class is the best of the best is just lightweight bias and not accurate at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

You just proved my point. There aren’t many freshman ranked at the higher weights because they are competing against upperclassmen. The rankings at 106 are simply a ranking of freshman and sophomores. 

Change is coming to the weight class structure. Of course we need to enable our younger kids to compete. But to argue a 106 weight class is the best of the best is just lightweight bias and not accurate at all. 

You sir need to take a look at reality. Not many freshman ranked at higher weights because they aren't developed physically chief. Duh. Most are in the lighter weight classes which is why the lightweights are young. Great logic chief. Stop trolling for responses knowing you will get those who have wrestled 103/106 to respond by saying it needs to be cut out. 

Weight class changes are coming yes. But removing 106 is idiotic. See you Friday. 

You can not remove a weight class just because its weaker in one state.  KY is still having issue filling brackets at the region level from top to bottom.  Numbers are dropping across the board in male wrestling and you want to take away even more.  I promise you being a prior 13 year wrestler out of PA there are plenty Junior/Senior wrestlers country wide that would put many 113/120 wrestlers down.  This argument has no point what so ever or any beneficial reasoning behind it like alot of unessacary things brought up on here.  Let the kids wrestle and enjoy the sport and stop trying to take away from the point and fun of it to them.  Your a coach/parent be one.

• Upvote 1