Sign in to follow this  
BrisFan

Youth State-issue

Why were there no skin checks / nail checks / birth certificate checks done? I saw many kids with scratches all over them from kid's nails. The lack of birth certificate checks makes me feel like there will be some funny business going on next year with coaches trying to pass kids off in a lower age group etc. This is State! Nothing should be left undone. If it's due to lack of help, ask people to jump in and help. Just my two cents. 

• Upvote 1

I agree 100%! I’m also going to add information needs to be on the flyers. We got there and to our surprise you couldn’t take anything into the arena. How many teams prepare bags or pack their teams water/Gatorade and healthy snacks? Something else I’m going to throw out there is it also needs to be listed on the informational flyer what rules the tournament is going to follow, KHSAA or USA Wrestling. 

• Like 1

Can we address the signal issue while we are at it. No service means not being able to follow track thus not knowing which mat my wrestlers need to be on, at the youth on Sunday- they did hand out mat assignments and I appreciated that, however, I could follow at which point our matches were- so consistently running back and forth looking for my wrestlers standing...

4 minutes ago, LAK said:

Can we address the signal issue while we are at it. No service means not being able to follow track thus not knowing which mat my wrestlers need to be on, at the youth on Sunday- they did hand out mat assignments and I appreciated that, however, I could follow at which point our matches were- so consistently running back and forth looking for my wrestlers standing...

never winning that battle. Someone will always not have service. That's an issue that cannot always be addressed. I know a family who didn't have service the entire time they were in Pikeville. 

6 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

never winning that battle. Someone will always not have service. That's an issue that cannot always be addressed. I know a family who didn't have service the entire time they were in Pikeville. 

Same here. Not really looking for the “win” just voicing my aggravation. It is what it is I guess... maybe I’ll pick up an Appalachian wireless acct before next state ;)

14 minutes ago, LAK said:

Same here. Not really looking for the “win” just voicing my aggravation. It is what it is I guess... maybe I’ll pick up an Appalachian wireless acct before next state ;)

I get it!!! When it was in Lville my service was awful!!!!!

Maybe state will be more centrally located. js...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I was not there, but one issue I had brought to me was using the smaller divided off mats for kids that were bigger and probably needed to be on a more full size mat. They felt it definitely swayed the outcome of matches and while space is an issue, it should be corrected in the future. I told him I would pass the issue along

5 hours ago, BrisFan said:
5 hours ago, BrisFan said:

Why were there no skin checks / nail checks / birth certificate checks done? I saw many kids with scratches all over them from kid's nails. The lack of birth certificate checks makes me feel like there will be some funny business going on next year with coaches trying to pass kids off in a lower age group etc. This is State! Nothing should be left undone. If it's due to lack of help, ask people to jump in and help. Just my two cents. 

If by no, you really mean no as in no skin checks and nails. I would like to politely correct you. I know of a couple hundred that were on the day of. Reason being I was that guy doing so. I would also like to add that birth certificates are never looked at until a child’s age is challenged by an opposing coach. They have personal identifying information on them and I personally don’t want to see it unless necessary 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LAK said:

We need some ties with Lexington... maybe Rupp could offer their facilities free for charge..

This is comical. There’s no way that will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BrisFan said:

Well I guess your kid didn’t do so well this past weekend and you’ve got to have some excuse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, LAK said:

Your gripe should be with your cellular provider not with the arena or the city of Pikeville. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, The Deputy said:

Your gripe should be with your cellular provider not with the arena or the city of Pikeville. 

My goodness... yes it certainly is an ATT issue, but calm down I didn’t call the arena or the city of Pikeville to gripe. This is a forum... under the issues tab... that’s just my only issue I had and I was just expressing that, really no biggie lol

14 hours ago, The Deputy said:

Well I guess your kid didn’t do so well this past weekend and you’ve got to have some excuse. 

Actually my kid did just fine, thanks. Why would being concerned with not having skin/nail/BC checks mean a kid didn't do well? Your kid must have been one with nail/skin issues <_<

As a team admin, my reason for bringing this up is because for weeks I told parents "make sure you trim your kids nails, make sure their skin is clear, make sure you have their birth certificate etc." then we get there and they're all telling me no ones checked anything. 

Louden, thank you for checking. I was mainly referencing early weigh in's. 

I took 3 kids to skin and nail checks at weigh in and they checked them.  I didnt care much for the smaller mats. Gotta give the kids room to wrestle.   Keep stopping and resetting ruins the match.  Hope they move it to a more centralized location next year.  The drive to Pikeville sucks.  I'd rather go to Lexington or Louisville. 

• Upvote 2

The birth certificate issue occurred at this year’s state tournament  The number 1 seed at 140 was beaten out by an individual that came from Colorado and a former coach believes the wrestler was home schooled before coming here. He placed in the Colorado state MS tournament 3 years ago. His age was questioned also by a former coach and the only proof giving was a letter from USA wrestling Colorado. To my knowledge USA wrestling only goes by the honor system. Every other sport requires a birth certificate.  I am not saying he is too old but common sense says we should have solid proof not just for him but for everyone. 

• Upvote 3

My son got skin checked and nails checked. I thought everything was pretty good. And the Mats was the same as last year for the youth I don’t like it either some are bigger kids but it was like that last year at state. They do that to try and get more kids done on time. There is always more youth kids than middle school kids. 

10 hours ago, Idk12345678910 said:

The birth certificate issue occurred at this year’s state tournament  The number 1 seed at 140 was beaten out by an individual that came from Colorado and a former coach believes the wrestler was home schooled before coming here. He placed in the Colorado state MS tournament 3 years ago. His age was questioned also by a former coach and the only proof giving was a letter from USA wrestling Colorado. To my knowledge USA wrestling only goes by the honor system. Every other sport requires a birth certificate.  I am not saying he is too old but common sense says we should have solid proof not just for him but for everyone. 

I Agree with you 100% on a birth certificate being the only deciding document for proof of age. I’m my previous comment I believe I came across misunderstood (my fault) when I stated that I personally didn’t want to see a birth certificate. I was trying to come across from the stand point of (at the scale if no challenge were issued)In the case of a situation where age is challenged, like the one mentioned, I absolutely want to see that document and only that document. In every youth tournament I have been associated with the challenge process is simple, if age is challenged it is the responsibility of the opposing coach to provide proof of age and only a birth certificate will do. I hope this clears up where I stand on proof of age requirements.

I'm not sure about the rest of the state but I do know Region 5 in NKY for at least 12yrs teams have been told to have a copy of their wrestlers BC.  I do know in the last 8 I have required it to be part of the sign up process of our team we make sure we have a copy ( most parents have one on file with the school so it's easy to get emailed).  This has also been part of region 5 requirements for as long as I can remember previous team head coaches always had us make sure to be ready to provide if necessary or challenged.  Easiest way is during sign ups we have a checklist of things required if it's not checked off they don't go to region period which means they don't go to state.  Also, as a team we register our wrestlers for USA not the parents so we are entering the info to make sure it is correct.  If other regions aren't doing this then there is a problem and it needs to be across the board standard.

• Like 1

Overall, outstanding job by the KFWC, our KY coaches, and kids at both MS and Youth tournaments. I especially enjoyed the coach’s lounge with constant food and beverages. There was plenty of seating and the security staff was pleasant. I’d have to agree on the larger mat space for the Novice - Middle School Divisions at the Youth tournament. These ages have likely been wrestling middle school Saturday matches throughout the season. As a solution, I would suggest having the pee wee and bantam wrestle on mats divided in quarters, the intermediates wrestle on mats divided in half, and novice/MS divisions on full mats. Again, outstanding job by the KFWC. The MS parade of champions was a great experience for our kids. Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, Idk12345678910 said:

We were told ( as my 12 year old son wrestled him) that he was getting ready to turn 16 in a few days from duals. He obviously won Middle School State and then turned around and placed 6th in High School state. Now we have wrestled my kid up in the past years and I think that's fine but to wrestle down I don't feel is. I understand he is in the 8th grade but a 15 or 16 year old 8th grader? If you can't play sports your senior year as a 20 year old it seems there is a loop hole in middle school side of things that should be tightened up. One year behind I can see more than that there should be an issue in my opinion.

The State tournament in Pikeville was a awesome venue. I get it nobody wants to travel that far. But in our case it was exciting to see a part of Kentucky that we haven't been before. My child had a skin a nail check at weigh in the officials there was kind and courteous. My issue is this....the FINALS!!!! There was no singlets given to the finalist. No announcement made of who was in the finals. I understand that is busy and everyone wants to go home and their was a second session. But these kids bust their butts to get there and at the end of the day they get the same medal as any other tournament. They should make a bigger deal out of making the finals