Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

BEST OF????

OK this grandpa will start off.

70's Robbie Clarkston Conner (1977-1981) 5 time state finalist 4 time state champ MOW 1981

80's My vote goes to Troy Cole Conner (1880-1985) 6 time state qualifier, 5 time placer, 4 time finalist, 2 time state champ MOW 1984 

90's Livingtson Merritt Hop-town (1992-1997) 6 time state qualifier, 6 time state placer, 5 time top 4, 3 time state champion / 

Could call a tie 90's Joe Carr Woodford county (1993-1997) 5 time state qualifier 5 time state placer, 5 time state finalist, 4 time state champ. MOW 1997

2000's Harrison Courtney Woodford County (2004-2009) 6 time state qualifier, 6 time state champion, 4 time state champ, MOW 2008

2010's Gotta give it to the 5 timer Brock Ervin Union County 2010-2014 5 time state champ MOW 2014

Only because not a 5 timer a close 2nd 2010's Austin Myers Campbell County (2012-2015) 4 time state champ MOW 2015 

This is my opinion based on total career not one individual year.  That probably would change some of my opinions. And remember it's just my opinion which are like buttocks, everyone has one. 

Murton- 1x Ohio state placer (5th) and 3x KY state champ.  1x NAIA All american 3rd, got hosed in the semi-finals ( touch pin on a granby), then hurt his back and decided to hang it up.  

2000's- Travis Sullivan

2003-2008

6 x sq

3x champ

1x runner up

304 wins (tied 4th all time nationally)

235 consecutive wins (3rd all time)

3 undefeated seasons

Kyle Ruschell - Head Coach at UTC

Ruschell has twice competed in the World Team trials in Fargo, N.D., most recently in 2018.  He made the U.S. National Team in 2014. He placed third in the U.S. Open and third in Phase II of the World Team Trials after beating two-time national champion Kellen Russell from Michigan and national team member Frank Mollinaro, who was a national champion for Penn State.

In the fight to "Save Olympic Wrestling", Ruschell was asked to be a representative for the sport at the Kentucky state capital as they passed a state bylaw to keep wrestling in the Olympics.

The Crittenden, Ky. native was a four-time NCAA championship qualifier for the Badgers, earning All-America honors twice at 149 lbs. The four-year letter winner served as team captain his junior and senior seasons.

Ruschell is the only two-time All-American from Kentucky and the state's highest placer in the NCAA Division I championships. At Ryle High School, Ruschell was a two-time state and four-time conference champion.

• Like 1

I only based my opinion on KY High school results. 

Sullivan is a good one, but still put Courney ahead of him. IMO

Murton was a stud but no Merritt or Carr of the 90's Merritt on accomplishment and IMO Carr better wrestler.

Knable (St. X) made the mistake of winning his 4 titles in 2 different decades lol but you can't have a greatest of all time list without him being mentioned somewhere.

13 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

I only based my opinion on KY High school results. 

Sullivan is a good one, but still put Courney ahead of him. IMO

Murton was a stud but no Merritt or Carr of the 90's Merritt on accomplishment and IMO Carr better wrestler.

I'd place Carr over Merritt (just barely) because he did it over a range of weight classes. But they both are similar in this regard:  I've watched KY wrestling grow, expand and progress for 23 years.  The talent level now is soooo much better than it used to be.  Year-round training, parents being more involved, coaches travelling to camps and tournaments has made KY a better wrestling state and overall the level of competition has gotten exponentially tougher. But having said that these two guys in particular would still dominate and excel.  Can't say that for all the past champs but I watched those guys kick butt and I feel certain, when at their peak, they couldve competed with anyone this state has produced.

3 hours ago, CradleKY said:

Knable (St. X) made the mistake of winning his 4 titles in 2 different decades lol but you can't have a greatest of all time list without him being mentioned somewhere.

This old mind forgot about him. aggghh 

How about I make this easy. 

Cross Decade ----Isaac Knable St Xavier 1999-2002 4 time state champion MOW 2001,2002.

3 hours ago, CradleKY said:

I'd place Carr over Merritt (just barely) because he did it over a range of weight classes. But they both are similar in this regard:  I've watched KY wrestling grow, expand and progress for 23 years.  The talent level now is soooo much better than it used to be.  Year-round training, parents being more involved, coaches travelling to camps and tournaments has made KY a better wrestling state and overall the level of competition has gotten exponentially tougher. But having said that these two guys in particular would still dominate and excel.  Can't say that for all the past champs but I watched those guys kick butt and I feel certain, when at their peak, they couldve competed with anyone this state has produced.

I believe if Merritt could have had the training of today we would not talk about anyone else but him.  Carr got a different level of training because of his family. 

As you mentioned Ky has started to move up.  Much different today than then. 

6 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

This old mind forgot about him. aggghh 

How about I make this easy. 

Cross Decade ----Isaac Knable St Xavier 1999-2002 4 time state champion MOW 2001,2002.

I was wondering if someone would mention him.