Sign in to follow this  
father_of_four

Tournament Costs - Needs Improvement

I understand that everything is increasing from a cost perspective with respect to operating a team. In addition School Budgets are also being tightened leaving more expenses to be absorbed by the team/boosters.

I have seen numerous complaints on teh forum this season on Entry Fee's and Durations of smaller tournaments. I somewhat understand the desire to make money at your home events but it hits the wrestling families that are already travelling and helping fund their own teams.   

Boosters and Coaches have got to do a better job of Fundraising and scheduling tournaments to make it a little more cost effective for families to attend their children's events.

Here is one I do not understand at all: For our Sectional Duals, they were held at Freedom Hall (2 weekends ago) and we only had 6 teams participating. For some reason they broke it up over a Friday evening and Saturday (2 days).

Parking Fee's were $10 each day

Entry Fee was $25 per day/ per person. (2 day pass for Adult = $45, 2 day pass for student = $32)

Gas for 2 trips to avoid an overnight hotel stay = $40

Beat this as a ridiculous cost for a 6 team Dual tournament. This estimate assumes a family of 4 (2 parents and 2 kids)

**Family of 4 to attend both days = ($10 parking x2) + ( $45 x2, $32 x2) + (4 pcs pizza and 4 drinks = $40) + ($40 gas) = $254

This estimate only assumes one meal for the family at the site, but if you leave you have an additional $10 parking fee.

• Upvote 1

Also, our section talked this weekend about doing it at national duals as well. While i realize the cost is high on the family, every coach Ive talked to said they loved it and that it was a awesome experience for their kids and that they would love to do it again. 

I went and watched Iowa wrestle Purdue last weekend. $5 per ticket. Just sayin’. Father of Four is right. We need to work together to keep this sport affordable for all.

I know this is not common but at our school we don't have a booster nor are we allowed to fundraise. 

However our admission fees are low along with our entry fee at our tourney.  We are just trying to cover the cost of officials with the team entry fee.  That way door and concessions are a plus.  

Team entry fees are also getting out of hand, especially at the middle school and Youth.  Our school has already denied us to go to several middle school/youth tourneys this year because of cost.  When a middle school tourney cost $200 a team plus $10 a kid that gets out of hand. They complain because they already shelled out money for a USA card for all the kids, now they have to pay excessive fees for the team to enter the tourney. 

I'm not that informed about the fan door fee. Something has to give, huge fees along with long tourneys don't add up to good publicity for the fans. 

What is needed is smaller tourneys 8-10 teams (so the event can be over between 5-6) and smaller cost all around so that fans can enjoy the experience instead of being there all day and having to spend a small fortune. 

Keeping tourneys to less than 8 hours team entry fees below $200, and having a family of 4 spend less than $50 would be ideal. 

• Upvote 2