Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2019/2020 - Jan 17

7 hours ago, DrBaker said:

PFP

1) Spencer Moore- nationally ranked, AA

2) Matthias Ervin- Multi time AA

3) Micah Ervin- multi time AA

4) Payne Carr- multi time AA, Greco AA

5)Thomas Deck- 2 time state champ

I said Merrit and Russelburg deserve to be in the discussion, I knew most people would disagree with what I had to say but since their so close in weight and this would be a fun topic but do you think Payne Carr could beat Jakerrion Merrit? Personally I don't think so

4 hours ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

I said Merrit and Russelburg deserve to be in the discussion, I knew most people would disagree with what I had to say but since their so close in weight and this would be a fun topic but do you think Payne Carr could beat Jakerrion Merrit? Personally I don't think so

Yes

7 hours ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

I think Payne can tech Merritt. 

That’s quite a statement. Maybe in freestyle, because anyone can get tech’d in a freestyle match. I don’t see Carr being able to tech Merritt in a folkstyle match. 

• Downvote 1

Carr use to tech/pin Merritt in middle school but Merritt had a HUGH leap when he got to high school (which he continues). I recall both wrestling 132 Merritt sophomore year and wrestling twice. Merritt won both matches (10-5, 3-2). Now I understand it was two year ago  and I'm sure both have grown as wrestlers. Saying a tech fall either kids' way, I think is disrespectful to the other kid. We all have our opinions and that's just mine. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:58 AM, DrBaker said:

I think Payne can tech Merritt. 

How about this: this is all just hyperbole, silliness (see the above ridiculous statement above), and does not really matter as neither wrestler will be competing against each other. Now pound for pound both Merritt and Russelburg could be in the discussion, as should Micah Ervin, Thomas Deck, and Spencer Moore. Looking forward to some great matches at Region and State in the coming weeks.

8 hours ago, aewrestling said:

does anyone know anything about this, Nationals invitation from NHSCA?

Is that the Virginia Beach tourney?   Great tourney.  Quite a few KY kids go.  They probably invite more kids than they should.   If you’re a kid who can win a couple matches at state you’ll be competitive as a freshmen and sophomore.   If you’re a junior or senior you should probably be a state placer if you want to be competing at Virginia Beach.  Probably about 50 kids or so from Kentucky each year.   Maybe more.  At least 10 schools represented.  Maybe more.  There have been several placers in recent years from KY.  

1 hour ago, LCalum said:

Is that the Virginia Beach tourney?   Great tourney.  Quite a few KY kids go.  They probably invite more kids than they should.   If you’re a kid who can win a couple matches at state you’ll be competitive as a freshmen and sophomore.   If you’re a junior or senior you should probably be a state placer if you want to be competing at Virginia Beach.  Probably about 50 kids or so from Kentucky each year.   Maybe more.  At least 10 schools represented.  Maybe more.  There have been several placers in recent years from KY.  

Its a fun experience if u plan to stay around the beach but is a long and expensive trip. 

2 hours ago, LCalum said:

Is there a list who from Ky places at the individual tournament at Virginia Beach? 

Going to post rankings after regionals? I know Ethan Wells moved back up to 126, and Parker McKee (McCracken 120) dropped to 113 for regionals. McKee has a win by fall over Riley Johnson (Caldwell) this season. Region 1 brackets aren't released yet to see any other shifts.

2 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Going to post rankings after regionals? I know Ethan Wells moved back up to 126, and Parker McKee (McCracken 120) dropped to 113 for regionals. McKee has a win by fall over Riley Johnson (Caldwell) this season. Region 1 brackets aren't released yet to see any other shifts.

Mckee is back at 120