Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2019/2020 - Jan 17

As mentioned in another thread, inconsistent posting of results have made updates harder than they need to be.  But I will continue to post what I have reviewed and everyone will just have to recognize that less than 100% of the current results are reflected.  It is especially frustrating when I hear by word of mouth about a match and neither team posts the result.  Oh well, we are still light years ahead of the pre-track days when I was scanning newspapers around the state to hopefully catch a dual post or tournament placements.

A few notes:

- 126 is a total mess; my guess is that bracket totally implodes in some form at the state tournament

- as usual 138 appears to be possibly the best weight in the state (good top talent plus plenty of depth)

- with upgraded performance at 195 Union County is pushing closer and closer to projecting near the 300 point barrier

- still seems to be a lot of weight movement potential

Rankings_19_20_0117.pdf

How is dejuan still ranked third when he lost twice in a two week period. Once to a ranked and got pinned by a unranked kid in semifinals. And yet my kid still isnt ranked... This seems like popularity contest. My guy pinned dejuan and has beaten everyone in the region and even the senaca kid dropped but mines doesnt even get a nodge

8 minutes ago, John Smith said:

How is dejuan still ranked third when he lost twice in a two week period. Once to a ranked and got pinned by a unranked kid in semifinals. And yet my kid still isnt ranked... This seems like popularity contest. My guy pinned dejuan and has beaten everyone in the region and even the senaca kid dropped but mines doesnt even get a nodge

Is this stuff on track??? Who has your guy lost to? Could clear somethings up.

30 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Good point

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Good grief. You act like these rankings are going to cost your kid a chance to wrestle in the regional tournament. These rankings are of opinion only and doesn’t mean squat when it’s all said and done. It will all wash out in the end. Stay classy John Smith. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

Yes it is. Its on track

All of your guys losses on there? I see there is 7-8 of them. Thats quite a lot of losses. They do a pretty good job with the rankings as far as I can tell. I'm positive most will agree. Keep winning and he will get his rankings. Good luck the rest of the season. Also are you a coach???

Just so everyone knows....Johnson Central is pretty damn good. I hate losing, but they have a good bunch of kids and great Coaching staff. Congrats on their win today. They should do very well next week and the weeks to come. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, take em to the mat said:

All of your guys losses on there? I see there is 7-8 of them. Thats quite a lot of losses. They do a pretty good job with the rankings as far as I can tell. I'm positive most will agree. Keep winning and he will get his rankings. Good luck the rest of the season. Also are you a coach???

Yes i am

4 hours ago, John Smith said:

Oh where do I begin???

#1 in case you don’t know I get exactly $0 a year for the countless hours I put into this

# 2 if you don’t like ‘em don’t read ‘em

#3 there are plenty of coaches (as you claim to be) who send me their relevant results (wins and losses) if they care that much about the rankings and I appreciate each of them

#4 Also in case you don’t realize it there is no magic track update app that notifies me of important results, no instead I have to manually comb through each individual wrestlers results

#5 if you can do better knock yourself out; heck I can quit updating and if you want we can put a hefty wager on predicting state tournament brackets - put your money where you mouth is

#6 Everyone knows where I’ll be sitting at the horse park next month, same section every year when I’m not on the floor, always willing to chat about rankings 

#7 time to focus on more important things And more important people tonight 

13 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Oh where do I begin???

#1 in case you don’t know I get exactly $0 a year for the countless hours I put into this

#3 there are plenty of coaches (as you claim to be) who send me their relevant results (wins and losses) if they care that much about the rankings and I appreciate each of them

#4 Also in case you don’t realize it there is no magic track update app that notifies me of important results, no instead I have to manually comb through each individual wrestlers results

#5 if you can do better knock yourself out; heck I can quit updating and if you want we can put a hefty wager on predicting state tournament brackets - put your money where you mouth is

#6 Everyone knows where I’ll be sitting at the horse park next month, same section every year when I’m not on the floor, always willing to chat about rankings 

This. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Oh where do I begin???

Thanks for all your time and effort.

• Upvote 1

I wish track had a ranking system that used the same criteria as it does for every tournament (head to head, common opponents, record, pins, tech’s, majors, etc). It would alleviate a lot of bitching (I could be wrong) and Ranger would have a lot more time to do other stuff. I appreciate the time spent to comb through the state and put the rankings together. It can’t be fun or easy.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

I wish track had a ranking system that used the same criteria as it does for every tournament (head to head, common opponents, record, pins, tech’s, majors, etc). It would alleviate a lot of bitching (I could be wrong) and Ranger would have a lot more time to do other stuff. I appreciate the time spent to comb through the state and put the rankings together. It can’t be fun or easy.

RankWrestlers.com does this. Except it has its flaws, some people with a 6-0 record against a bunch of nobodies looks great compared to guys who step out and challenge themselves, thus you have an oddball ranked at the top compared to the usuals. 

2 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

RankWrestlers uses what’s entered into track. Click on the pics to see more of the stats they have. 

6AB8ADA6-E1C4-46A5-BF5A-35C85EDC3E75.png

F4D6129D-BCD9-43B1-8E51-3588C715C56D.png

16 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Oh where do I begin???

Yes. We appreciate the time and effort put into this. My advice to John Smith is to post results and let them speak for themselves. If you are really that worried about it, send them directly to ranger if you want him to see and consider them    . Don’t post “why isn’t he ranked” posts on the forum. 

• Upvote 1

On a more positive note I really appreciate all those fans and coaches who share info and who express their appreciation for my efforts.  I’m sure many of them have plenty of beefs with the rankings and sometimes want to complain. But most do it respectfully.  I never claim to be perfect; far from it. But I believe I do a pretty good job at this. 

In the end ranking don’t mean a thing. Just something fun for discussion and for a reference point. But for something that doesn’t really matter or mean anything we all get pretty excited about them don’t we. And that’s why I put so much time and effort into them. 

39 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

On a more positive note I really appreciate all those fans and coaches who share info and who express their appreciation for my efforts.  I’m sure many of them have plenty of beefs with the rankings and sometimes want to complain. But most do it respectfully.  I never claim to be perfect; far from it. But I believe I do a pretty good job at this. 

In the end ranking don’t mean a thing. Just something fun for discussion and for a reference point. But for something that doesn’t really matter or mean anything we all get pretty excited about them don’t we. And that’s why I put so much time and effort into them. 

Amen to that! 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I've known Ranger for a very long time.  I remember coaching when he was an ity bitty kid at Harrison Co. He puts way too much time for the grief he gets.  He does it because it sparks interest in wrestling and keeps it on the minds of the fans.  

As a fan I appreciate the effort and information that can be gotten from his hard work.  

As a coach I'm not a huge fan of rankings.  I usually only tell Ranger about the negatives on my wrestlers so they can move down the rankings.  I find it much more motivating when a kid is ranked lower than he believes he should be.  Makes him work harder to get noticed. 

In the end Ranger does more work on these ranking than many people do at their "real" job.  

• Upvote 1

I would like to return to the topic of P4P best wrestler on the last rankings updated and i was shocked that no one even brought up Jakerrion Merrits or Dalton Russelburgs name up more. Those 2 to me are easily top 5 P4P and have a case to be the best P4P. At least that's just how i feel. Obviously you have your Spencer Moore's, Cole Thomas's, Deck, the Ervin's, etc. but Jakerrion and Dalton should be right up there with those guys no question in my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PFP

1) Spencer Moore- nationally ranked, AA

2) Matthias Ervin- Multi time AA

3) Micah Ervin- multi time AA

4) Payne Carr- multi time AA, Greco AA

5)Thomas Deck- 2 time state champ

• Upvote 1