Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2019/2020 - Jan 3

I believe you need to always seed top 6 in a 16 man bracket. Like mentioned above seedings can determine a tourney championship. This is a team sport, will always be a team sport. There will always be discussion in seeding meetings. Just using track is lazy. Not accurate in most cases. Every weekend there's kids getting beat with a 25-1 record by kids 12-7. Records do not always accurately define just how good a kid is.  Head to head, common opponents. Record should be one of the last criteria.  Most of all integrity and common sense should be used by the the coaches. 

Integrity is the practice of being honest and showing a consistent and uncompromising adherence to strong moral and ethical principles and values

6 hours ago, GooglyMoogly said:

Bad take...when you are competing as a team, which we do at tournaments, seeding is very important.  Records shouldn't be seeding criteria at all.  I fight for the 6 seed all the time. 

Maybe you just haven't had a lot of success in seeding meetings?  

At the regional tournament yes but at the Jerry Little holiday tourney no.  Makes coaches meetings to long and wrestling gets started to late.  And as Falcon said there is no way to know who is better because of record, and wrestling out of state does not always mean better competition. 

AS for success well...........lets just say I have been around long enough that I have seen my fair share of fist fights at seed meeting. 

My favorite is when coaches at the regional tournament that get their kid a top 2 or 3 seed with a 30-10 record and 20 of the wins are forfeits, then they don’t even place

12 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

At the regional tournament yes but at the Jerry Little holiday tourney no.  Makes coaches meetings to long and wrestling gets started to late.  And as Falcon said there is no way to know who is better because of record, and wrestling out of state does not always mean better competition. 

AS for success well...........lets just say I have been around long enough that I have seen my fair share of fist fights at seed meeting. 

9 hours ago, Wkywrestler said:

My favorite is when coaches at the regional tournament that get their kid a top 2 or 3 seed with a 30-10 record and 20 of the wins are forfeits, then they don’t even place

Thats the lack of integrity.

I believe some states are not allowing forfiets to count in state tournament seeding. 

Just some things for the next rankings from the Anderson County Tournament a couple weekends ago in case you missed it

106- # 20 Kelton Bailey beats #13 Ashley by Pinfall, 2:47 to win the Anderson County Tournament. 

UR Aiden Butler beats #12 Cole Harrod by Dec, 6-0

113- #23 Maximus Beltran beats #18 Maurice Murphy by Dec, 4-2

120- UR Jonathan Pittman beats #20 Luke Oliveros by pinfall, 3:45

132- #21 Mason Polston beats #19 Jalen Wideman by pinfall, 0:45

145- #15 John Lowe beats #8 Chas Fudold by Dec, 6-4

152- #6 Dylan Preston beats #4 Tyler Hudgins by Dec, 10-5

160- UR Jacobie White beats #21 Andrew Archibald by pinfall, 2:57

#6 Cole Nance beats #2 Nathaniel Lawrence by Inj, 5:52

170- #10 Chase Fink beats #4 @ 160, Tristan Brooks by Pinfall, 5:38

Things I Took Away: Kaiji Fujii @ 126 is the real deal. Lost to Kinley in the finals in a barn burner but i had heard he beat him the weekend before. 

Chase Yost and Thomas Deck are good at wrestling lol. 

Dylan Preston from Woodford had an amazing weekend pinning Walker McCubbin and handling Tyler Hudgins pretty well in the finals. 

Cole Nance with arguably the upset of the day beats Nathaniel Lawrence by forfeit but that forfeit doesn't mean a thing. Nance was handling Lawrence before he had gotten hurt, Nance looks extremely tough this year.

Chase Fink, if it wasn't for his teammate Cole Nance, would have had the upset of the day by pinning Tristan Brooks. Finks defense looked impenetrable all match long

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Wkywrestler said:

You must be talking about our regional seed meeting. I get told every year forfeits count as wins, even if it is half your wins. 

6 hours ago, thegoldenwrestler said:

Just some things for the next rankings from the Anderson County Tournament a couple weekends ago in case you missed it

106- # 20 Kelton Bailey beats #13 Ashley by Pinfall, 2:47 to win the Anderson County Tournament. 

UR Aiden Butler beats #12 Cole Harrod by Dec, 6-0

113- #23 Maximus Beltran beats #18 Maurice Murphy by Dec, 4-2

120- UR Jonathan Pittman beats #20 Luke Oliveros by pinfall, 3:45

132- #21 Mason Polston beats #19 Jalen Wideman by pinfall, 0:45

145- #15 John Lowe beats #8 Chas Fudold by Dec, 6-4

152- #6 Dylan Preston beats #4 Tyler Hudgins by Dec, 10-5

160- UR Jacobie White beats #21 Andrew Archibald by pinfall, 2:57

#6 Cole Nance beats #2 Nathaniel Lawrence by Inj, 5:52

170- #10 Chase Fink beats #4 @ 160, Tristan Brooks by Pinfall, 5:38

Things I Took Away: Kaiji Fujii @ 126 is the real deal. Lost to Kinley in the finals in a barn burner but i had heard he beat him the weekend before. 

Chase Yost and Thomas Deck are good at wrestling lol. 

Dylan Preston from Woodford had an amazing weekend pinning Walker McCubbin and handling Tyler Hudgins pretty well in the finals. 

Cole Nance with arguably the upset of the day beats Nathaniel Lawrence by forfeit but that forfeit doesn't mean a thing. Nance was handling Lawrence before he had gotten hurt, Nance looks extremely tough this year.

Chase Fink, if it wasn't for his teammate Cole Nance, would have had the upset of the day by pinning Tristan Brooks. Finks defense looked impenetrable all match long

What about the 195,220,285??? They was some great wrestling

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I would say Thomas Deck then the discussion starts at #2. 

My son and Deck became friends at Boys State this past summer and worked out together. He is not only a supremely gifted athlete but also an articulate, intelligent gentleman. Great kid.

23 hours ago, take em to the mat said:

I believe some states are not allowing forfiets to count in state tournament seeding. 

I believe that is a slippery slope.   That allows teams to forfeit to a wrestler they know they can't beat and in turn then hurts that individual who receives the forfeit. 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:57 AM, take em to the mat said:

I've always preached as a coach that you need to be on weight and ready to wrestle, even if you're getting forfeit.  You did you job for the team, scored points for being available to wrestle,  and for this you are rewarded a forfeit (win). 

Do I think you can give a kid a huge seed jump with 10 forfeits, absolutely not. But thats were common sense should come into place.

In Missouri, Trackwrestling is used as a seeding tool throughout the year. Coaches have to update results and weigh in sheets on a regular basis, if not then you are not allowed to print out the next weigh in sheet. Other surrounding states are pretty much the same so uploading tournament results really isn't too difficult. Forfeits are counted in win totals at end of year but the criteria is adjusted at districts for certain results. It has all the criteria built in by the state and even when I run our tourney here, I put in seeding criteria to be set by coaches prior to the tourney. This allows the computer to set my seeds as soon as I pull up the brackets. Granted, their is on occasion where there are no commons between 2 wrestlers with nice records but if your seeding criteria is set beforehand then coaches have a guideline to follow.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

I believe that is a slippery slope.   That allows teams to forfeit to a wrestler they know they can't beat and in turn then hurts that individual who receives the forfeit. 

Yes.  it's sad but dishonesty is everywhere.

12 hours ago, coachteater said:

I've always preached as a coach that you need to be on weight and ready to wrestle, even if you're getting forfeit.  You did you job for the team, scored points for being available to wrestle,  and for this you are rewarded a forfeit (win). 

Do I think you can give a kid a huge seed jump with 10 forfeits, absolutely not. But thats were common sense should come into place.

agreed

On 1/14/2020 at 11:05 AM, Wrestler66 said:

Who is best P4P wrestler in the state?

I’m kinda biased towards the hometown kids, but Spencer Moore is pretty amazing.