Sign in to follow this  
heavy83

WCI

Flyer says weigh ins are at 8, wrestling starts at 10 and semi finals at noon. The tournament looks a little light this year. There aren’t any full 16 man brackets. Probably should have been a 1 day tournament.

It absolutely should have been a one day tournament.  Sat around all morning and still finished day one at 3! What a waste! How do you go ahead and keep it a 2 day tournament when you're not even filling a 16 man bracket on any of the weights? This is not how you grow the sport! Woodford seriously just forced a 2 day gate charge and drive for teams for absolutely no reason. 

It’s honestly dirty how they did that if intentional,  how much it cost for teams and parents to stay for 2 days, especially those that have a far drive, let alone being in the middle of the holiday season. 

2 hours ago, Wkywrestler said:

It’s honestly dirty how they did that if intentional,  how much it cost for teams and parents to stay for 2 days, especially those that have a far drive, let alone being in the middle of the holiday season. 

I will stick up for them for once. Its not intentional and the new head coach has worked hard to improve the tournament from years past. They were planning on having 30 teams, but many have backed out. When you plan  for that many and already have everything set, its not easy to just change to 1 day last second. While its not ideal, everyone had already planned for 2 days, so its not like it was a day added out of no where. That in fact would be much worse. 

I stand by my opinion.  I'm having a hard time seeing the logic of this whole tournament. Teams backed out and that stinks but I'm pretty sure the officials and the 3 bus drivers would have been very glad to have a free day on Saturday during the holidays. It is a very simple process to cancel hotel reservations if they were already made.  Like I said they did not fill a 16 man bracket. I've seen 64 man brackets run in two days other places but never a normal 16. 

4 hours ago, JST said:

It absolutely should have been a one day tournament.  Sat around all morning and still finished day one at 3! What a waste! How do you go ahead and keep it a 2 day tournament when you're not even filling a 16 man bracket on any of the weights? This is not how you grow the sport! Woodford seriously just forced a 2 day gate charge and drive for teams for absolutely no reason. 

Not sure about how this came about but one thing for certain is that this in not good for wrestling. 

Too many teams are trying to make their season budget on one tourney.  The entry fees are getting outrageous, for both high school and middle school.  Our school has already started saying NO to tourneys because they cost to much. Charging $200 for a one day tourney is a huge cost on the program and school, let alone the bus driver and gas cost.  

10 tourneys a year at 200 a pop for both middle and high school thats $4,000.  That's not including the USA card fee for middle school (But that is another argument)

I feel like the schedule hurt WCI this year, caused a few tournaments to fall on the same day as the WCI that aren’t usually this weekend, maybe it will be back and better next year. Has been one of my favorite in season tournaments the past couple of years

Historically this has been one of the better tournaments of the season in KY. Hopefully the powers that be can learn from this debacle and make changes for next year. It's going to be hard getting teams to commit next year though. 

WCI is the longest running tournament in Kentucky (47 or 48 years). Some years we have seen AMAZING competition, some years not so much. Like last year (Yost vs Merritt- OT match) was on the best matches I’ve ever witnessed. But there is HUGE list of memorable matches from WCI which had the best of the best wrestling each other. I can easily name about 25 state champs who competed at WCI (some of them never won WCI!)

If it were full 32 man brackets people would complain then too about it being too big. 

One thing that doesn’t help our SPORT is when the surrounding counties won’t even attend the historic WCI. (yes they all are invited). Where are all the Lexington schools, the frankfort schools, the jessamine schools? They flat out say their wrestlers aren’t ready for that kind of competition. How do you expect to get better? And trust me I’ve heard that response from many coaches in my coaching career.

There will always be unhappy people/parents/spectators especially when their kids/teams aren’t winning. 

Contracts need to be made and this would illuminate all of the schools backing out at the last second. It happens every weekend. Hold them accountable and make them forfeit a fee if they do not attend after committing verbally. 

I used to tell my kids all the time, no matter what tournament you’re in, you’re in it to win it. Maybe you should tell your kids the same thing. It’s not about the size of the tournament or how many people are in your bracket, it’s about getting better and learning something new each day.

Maybe meet some new friends or something in your free time. 

• Like 1

No offence intended to anyone but the competition level is horrible this year. Teams have left the tournament for better competition. 

Just now, JST said:

No offence intended to anyone but the competition level is horrible this year. Teams have left the tournament for better competition. 

Then your kid should win easily, move on to next weekend, keep the ball rolling.

You can’t point the finger at anybody. I remember a few years ago a team showed up on the second day of the WCI ready to wrestle. They did not attend day 1 at all (he was completely lost). Also had a few coaches contact me at the last second saying we will not be there. It was time for weigh ins (and yes they did confirm they would be there previously). The lack of communication does not help at all.

• Like 1

Hey at least you got some competition . Our kids show up to GMVWA. Apparently 5 minutes late but the head table gave them their weigh in sheet but ref said weigh ins are closed. Sent home not allowed to wrestle. WOW!!!!

Wow that's insane. There was some good matches just not the highly anticipated matches people are accustomed too at woodford. Did get to see a #3 ranked kid get launched and pinned lol. 

• Like 1