Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2019/2020 - Dec 19

Starting to get a lot more results in.  But keep in mind, the rankings are only as good as the information that goes into them.  As coaches do a poor job of posting results, those results will not be reflected.  I have also started removing some kids who have not completed body fat testing.

Team dynamic is looking very interesting.  Union still in position to set the state scoring record with Christian County a solid second.  But right now spots 3 through 11 are essentially a dead heat.  I'm sure there will be a lot of jockeying for position over the next 6 weeks, but the battle for a team trophy could be very exciting.

Some good individual results from the weekend.  A partial Union squad wrestled tough at the hammer Ironman event while the balance of the lineup almost won the very solid Raider Rumble.  Will be interesting to see weights start to solidify over the next few weeks and kids change weights after Christmas.

Rankings_19_20_1219.pdf

3 minutes ago, fishers57 said:

Might want to revisit the Ashland Blazer team ranking as they were just recently beat in a dual match up by first year start up West Carter.

Nope.  Dual results have nothing to do with the overall team rankings.  They are projected state results based on the individual rankings.  There is no manual intervention; a simple calculation based on where individuals are ranked.  The dual rankings are similar in that a formula determines a hypothetical winner of each dual assuming everyone is in the lineup and at their "ranked" weight.

3 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Nope.  Dual results have nothing to do with the overall team rankings.  They are projected state results based on the individual rankings.  There is no manual intervention; a simple calculation based on where individuals are ranked.  The dual rankings are similar in that a formula determines a hypothetical winner of each dual assuming everyone is in the lineup and at their "ranked" weight.

Ranger you should have these explanations on a cut and past by now, or auto response.  :D

Just now, grappler-of-old said:

Whats the matter did your crystal ball break?  :wub:

No.  My credit card expired that is tied to the autopay on that bill, so it got turned off.  I think i have it fixed now.

12 hours ago, Wrathow said:

May wanna look at Cole Murphy from Spencer County at 106,  he beat #16 this weekend.

Lesson for all those new to this forum...

Don't forget the losses from this weekend or a couple weeks ago.  Those count too.

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Lesson for all those new to this forum...

Don't forget the losses from this weekend or a couple weeks ago.  Those count too.

Pick and choose to what makes it look best. Seems like people create accounts when convenient only to overlook the losses and emphasize the wins over people ranked in the teens and twenties. You could lose to unranked Joe Smith and beat #23 Bob Jones and this kid should be paid more attention to. Guess we can get used to this every year. 

56 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Pick and choose to what makes it look best. Seems like people create accounts when convenient only to overlook the losses and emphasize the wins over people ranked in the teens and twenties. You could lose to unranked Joe Smith and beat #23 Bob Jones and this kid should be paid more attention to. Guess we can get used to this every year. 

I was once admonished for this a few years ago when my son noted that he pinned a kid that was ranked above him. I've also learned that the rankings really mean nothing come February. Yes, some are heads and shoulders above the rest, but once you get past the top 3 or 4, it's a matter of who they beat. There is no perfect system and I think Ranger does a great job considering all the time and effort it takes to go over the results and slot the kids accordingly. And by no means is this an official list recognized by any governing body, only by those that read it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

138 is looking like a wide open weight class so far. Does not seem like a kid will run away with it. What is going on with Thomas Deck at 132? I haven’t seen him compete yet this year?

16 hours ago, Tbagnky said:

I was once admonished for this a few years ago when my son noted that he pinned a kid that was ranked above him. I've also learned that the rankings really mean nothing come February. Yes, some are heads and shoulders above the rest, but once you get past the top 3 or 4, it's a matter of who they beat. There is no perfect system and I think Ranger does a great job considering all the time and effort it takes to go over the results and slot the kids accordingly. And by no means is this an official list recognized by any governing body, only by those that read it.

While i will agree 100% that rankings don't mean anything when the kids toe the line (real results are determined on the mat), I know these rankings are referenced quite often throughout the season (saw them posted on the big board at the Raider Rumble) and are typically noted and announced during the state tournament.  As such, I take them very seriously, and put a lot of effort into making them as accurate as possible.

18 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I feel like you are really under estimating Joe Smith. The kid is extremely average and should be treated as such. Bob Jones on the other hand is something else all together. Lol 

• Like 2

Seriously though, I remember about 100 years ago when Coach Coomes was doing rankings. He did the best he could with what information he got, but nothing like Ranger. I always look forward to seeing new rankings. Who’s up, who’s down, who’s new. It has helped tremendously learning who the new up and comers are. Great job as usual Ranger. Thanks for all the time you put into these. 

2 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I feel like you are really under estimating Joe Smith. The kid is extremely average and should be treated as such. Bob Jones on the other hand is something else all together. Lol 

Well, my boy is 2-19 with his 2 wins beating both Bob and Joe. He should be number 1! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Well, my boy is 2-19 with his 2 wins beating both Bob and Joe. He should be number 1! 

I will take note of that and talk with the powers that be, but I’m thinking that number 1 ranking is right around the corner for your boy. 

I just want to say thank you for ranking Cole Harrod. Today he had to wrestle at 113, because there were no 106s. He finished 2nd. Losing to decker of Bryan station at 111.2. Cole weighed 97 lbs, today.  And, he still made it close.