Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2019/2020 - Dec 11

Still not much in the way of meaningful results, but that will change this weekend with one of the best events in Ky going on at Ryle.  I've seen a number of dual meet results, but it is nearly impossible to figure out weight classes as so many kids get bumped up to fill weights in duals.

Just a few notes on timing of a few things.  I will remove anyone not listed on a roster after this weekend.  I will remove anyone who has not competed by January 1 shortly after the new year.

Rankings_19_20_1211.pdf

I’d love to see Russellburg vs Lawrence. Father Ryan could have some great matchups. Merritt vs Pogue, Stevens vs Little, Matthias Ervin vs Skyler Coffee. 

By the way, I really like the way folks are grabbing this info and creating quick previews of events. Something I tried to do years ago (before track) and realized it was extremely difficult without complete schedules and rosters. Great way to give fans a guide walking into an event and maybe even generate some extra excitement for the tournament. Please keep them coming. 

OK, just trying to help supply some information to help you, which I hope everyone does.

In the 220 weight class, Lee of Central Hardin and Fox of Oldham Co. have been wrestling at 195, and Watson of Walton-Verona wrestled in the Bearcat Brawl at 285. You have Floyd of Bardstown and Neal of Owensboro at 195, they both wrestle 220. Floyd lost to Mayer of Walton-Verona at 220 in the Bearcat Brawl, but Mayer was wrestling up just for that match. Floyd beat Lee and Watson last season at 220, and lost to Fox over the summer. Fox beat Larue County's Conner Lambert at 195 last weekend. It also looks like Hunter Lattin of Meade is missing from the 195 list. Also, Bell of Iroquois beat Haskins of Waggener earlier this season but is ranked lower here. I do not show Jeremiah Schulze on a roster at Woodford, or for that matter listed on Track. Its also interesting to me the transfer situation at P.T., Deasal lists as 220, but so does Matthew Mooney.  Wonder what they will do there. Zane Christian has transferred to Ashland.  I know there is a lot of December "jockeying for position" and kids wrestling up from where they may end up in January, so things are still hazy.  Anyway, just my .02 from a fan of your lists on a cold December morning.

Ranger, any idea what teams are coming to the Rumble? I know it's always a great tournament, plus I'd like to see who my kids may get a chance to face.

Glad your waiting until after January 1st to take names out of the rankings. Ethan Wolford just finished up his football season here at Belfry and was given a week off before having to report to the mat. He starts practice Monday and will compete in the Bobby Bates Tournament next weekend in the 285 class. Just wanted to let you know in case you saw no activity from him this weekend at the Johnson Central meet. And thanks for all the work Ranger does for these kids. 

3 hours ago, #55PirateFan said:

Glad your waiting until after January 1st to take names out of the rankings. Ethan Wolford just finished up his football season here at Belfry and was given a week off before having to report to the mat. He starts practice Monday and will compete in the Bobby Bates Tournament next weekend in the 285 class. Just wanted to let you know in case you saw no activity from him this weekend at the Johnson Central meet. And thanks for all the work Ranger does for these kids. 

Appreciate the heads up and Good luck

10 hours ago, Tbagnky said:

Ranger, any idea what teams are coming to the Rumble? I know it's always a great tournament, plus I'd like to see who my kids may get a chance to face.

It’s on track wrestling. I don’t have the complete list in front of me, but Chris Duke made a thread on the event that should cover it pretty well. 

24 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Appreciate the heads up and Good luck

Thanks. And I just talked to Coach Runyon to ask him and he did tell me that Ethan is on the roster. So hopefully it's been sent up. I'd hate for Ethan to lose his ranking over something like this after he's worked so hard on getting it. I think he's more proud of that #11 wrestling ranking than he is with the football championship. We all have fell in love with this sport. 

• Like 1

I realize why there are so few kids ranked at 106, because we all know some of those 113s are going to drop, but Cole Harrod at Anderson County is underweight and he is wrestling his tail off. He deserves recognition. I have a hard time believing weeks from now when weight classes are settled he won't be ranked. He went undefeated again today. He weighed 97.3. He has already wrestled and beat kids cutting to make 106. 

35 minutes ago, Tdog'sPap said:

I realize why there are so few kids ranked at 106, because we all know some of those 113s are going to drop, but Cole Harrod at Anderson County is underweight and he is wrestling his tail off. He deserves recognition. I have a hard time believing weeks from now when weight classes are settled he won't be ranked. He went undefeated again today. He weighed 97.3. He has already wrestled and beat kids cutting to make 106. 

If he's beating ranked kids cutting down I'm sure he will pop up on rankings. 

14 hours ago, Tdog'sPap said:

1) the 113s have nothing to do with how many kids are ranked at 106 except for the fact that those kids were likely 106 at some point in their life

2) I don’t volunteer hundreds of hours a year doing this just to put names on a list and say good effort, results drive the list

3) at this point in the season records mean virtually nothing, in fact I can’t recall ranking a kid based on record more than a handful of times and that was only because they had little or no head to head and common opponents with the rest of the state 

4) I know Cole and his dad and I’m sure he is wrestling well. He will be ranked when he earns it. Could be this week could be a few weeks like you say. I have been impressed with the growth of the Anderson Co program the last few years. 

5) The 106 field is less established and proven than in past years. I’m sure by the end of the season it will all work itself out. Maybe some kids will drop. Most likely the kids there now will earn the slot in the pecking order. 

Thanks for reply. I saw Chris's post after posting this. It was a great event with some outstanding matchups. Even with Union sending kids to Ironman, they still had a strong team. Ryle, St. X and Lebanon all had a great showing. Thanks for all you do. These rankings give us old guys a lot to discuss, and it gives some kids a little motivation when they know they're going to face another ranked wrestler. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

1) the 113s have nothing to do with how many kids are ranked at 106 except for the fact that those kids were likely 106 at some point in their life

2) I don’t volunteer hundreds of hours a year doing this just to put names on a list and say good effort, results drive the list

3) at this point in the season records mean virtually nothing, in fact I can’t recall ranking a kid based on record more than a handful of times and that was only because they had little or no head to head and common opponents with the rest of the state 

4) I know Cole and his dad and I’m sure he is wrestling well. He will be ranked when he earns it. Could be this week could be a few weeks like you say. I have been impressed with the growth of the Anderson Co program the last few years. 

5) The 106 field is less established and proven than in past years. I’m sure by the end of the season it will all work itself out. Maybe some kids will drop. Most likely the kids there now will earn the slot in the pecking order. 

Ranger,

I know you got a lot of ground to cover so trying to Get Spencer County and Colton Kessinger on your map. He is a 285 that has already beat Waller at #23 and in Tri dual North Bullitt had different 285 against him but he beat Purvis and Purvis beat JoJo #18 in the same meet.  He did lose this weekend to #7 Watson.

The team as a whole has also beaten #59 Taylor, #47 Fredrick Douglas, and I believe #32 Scott county I believe though only Taylor county is posted to confirm

Gonna look at other weights and may try to raise a flag on a few others. The team has grown and added some coaches, may wanna keep an eye on them.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wrathow said:

Ranger,

I know you got a lot of ground to cover so trying to Get Spencer County and Colton Kessinger on your map. He is a 285 that has already beat Waller at #23 and in Tri dual North Bullitt had different 285 against him but he beat Purvis and Purvis beat JoJo #18 in the same meet.  He did lose this weekend to #7 Watson.

The team as a whole has also beaten #59 Taylor, #47 Fredrick Douglas, and I believe #32 Scott county I believe though only Taylor county is posted to confirm

Gonna look at other weights and may try to raise a flag on a few others. The team has grown and added some coaches, may wanna keep an eye on them.

Will definitely give them a look. 

Just a note on the team rankings. There is no interpretation of results in the team rankings. It is all calculated based on the individual rankings. So head to head results WON’T directly change things unless the corresponding individual changes create that difference. 

1 hour ago, Mike Harrod said:

Figured I would chime in since this is my son we are referring to. 

First I appreciate all the hours you put into these rankings and it is great motivation for the kids to see their name on this list. That being said it is just a rank and the only thing that matters is the results that come off the mat.

Cole has done well to start his freshman year with an undefeated record but even I don’t know where he stands against other kids around the state because there is only 8 kids on the list and he hasn’t seen any of them  

is he top 8? I seriously doubt it. Is he 15-20? Possibly, but without a full list who knows. I know it is early in the season and hopefully we can start to fill this list with good wrestlers and let the results speak for themselves. 

Just let him know who he needs to beat to get on the list and move up the ladder. It’s all about goals for a lot of these boys and when he comes up against that #20 on the list he know what’s gotta happen to move up that list from what in his mind is 26 to the spotlight. 

Again thanks and we’ll see you all on the mat

Mike Harrod

Truly doesn't matter if your kid is ranked or not. It's where he's standing that last saturday. 

• Upvote 1

Ranger

152 West Jessamine Gunner Krupp. Wasn't he beat twice. I saw or thought he was beat by FDHS 152 on 12/7 at their clash a video of the Douglass boy getting 1st and Krupp got 2nd

2 hours ago, XmasC said:

Ranger

152 West Jessamine Gunner Krupp. Wasn't he beat twice. I saw or thought he was beat by FDHS 152 on 12/7 at their clash a video of the Douglass boy getting 1st and Krupp got 2nd

Gunner lost to Desmond Allison 19-6 in a dual, then 11-4 in finals of the clash,  very good match. Those kids have both worked hard the last couple years to improve.