Wrestledad

Female Wrestling

As of today, from what I see on Track, there are 214 total female wrestlers registered for high school. Some are are still being assessed. Here is a rough breakdown by grade:

7th-14  8th-19  9th-64  10th-42  11th-46  12th-26 

3 that are not designated in a weight.

Sad to see they will do the girls "state" tournament the same time as JV and middle school state again. I know a lot of girls that dont make Varsity wrestle all year with their JV high school teams and they don't get many tournaments as it is. Seems like we could choose a different weekend so they could compete with their teammates. Not to mention high schools sending coaches to the JV state run thin trying to send coaches to girls when they usually only have 1 or 2 girls. Last year we helped coach a very tough young woman who didn't have a coach attend, possibly for that reason. I know for my daughter I haven't decided whether to do the girls or just send her to JV

Understandable to see this. However,  it's great seeing the strides that have been taken in the last couple of years. With continued support and growth it will continue to get better. There are a lot of good people behind the scenes pushing for our girls. I have attended 4 in state girls tournaments this year and the only grumbling I've seen has been from a handful of coaches and parents. Each one the girls were just excited that they had something that was theirs.

Yea, I'm sure some people dont mind it just sucks for my daughter as we don't have any women tournaments in our area so the state tournament is it as far as women only wrestling goes during the season. Kentucky girls definitely coming on strong and I hope it continues as I still have a few of my own girls coming up

• Like 1

Fort Campbell’s girls tournament had 72 girls from KY, TN and Indiana today. 

Lots of great matches today! One of the best matches was one of the TN state champions from Rossview vs Trinity Gottler from Anderson Co. Would of loved to have you down. 

@Wrestledad Missed you today! See you in a few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, PABacon said:

Sad to see they will do the girls "state" tournament the same time as JV and middle school state again. I know a lot of girls that dont make Varsity wrestle all year with their JV high school teams and they don't get many tournaments as it is. Seems like we could choose a different weekend so they could compete with their teammates. Not to mention high schools sending coaches to the JV state run thin trying to send coaches to girls when they usually only have 1 or 2 girls. Last year we helped coach a very tough young woman who didn't have a coach attend, possibly for that reason. I know for my daughter I haven't decided whether to do the girls or just send her to JV

PABacon: We were at Fort Campbell today for the Region 1 JV State Qualifier and the Fort Campbell girls tournament.  More girls competing today, than boys, sorry you missed both, but now at least you won't have to make the choice as you had to compete in the JV qualifier to go to JV State.

• Upvote 1

I had no idea about a JV qualifier going on. I also heard about a Fort Cambell girls tournament but never got the date. Guess I'm not in the loop enough

8 minutes ago, PABacon said:

So did Union County have any JV kids at this qualifier?

They did not. Fort Campbell or Christian County have hosted it every year since JV State started. We let all of the Region 1 coaches know the date at the Region meeting in September every year.

I found the tournament by searching seasons on track. It has been there for a few weeks. I contacted FC coach, and he was great! He kept constant communication with the teams, and, had relaxed entry into the base, which is not easy to do. There were 72 girls there, and that's with 3 teams dropping out, and a few no shows from other teams. FC coach has stated that they are planning to hold this event next year on 12/22. I highly recommend this event. It was good competition, especially for our girls. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:14 PM, Tdog'sPap said:

I found the tournament by searching seasons on track. It has been there for a few weeks. I contacted FC coach, and he was great! He kept constant communication with the teams, and, had relaxed entry into the base, which is not easy to do. There were 72 girls there, and that's with 3 teams dropping out, and a few no shows from other teams. FC coach has stated that they are planning to hold this event next year on 12/22. I highly recommend this event. It was good competition, especially for our girls. 

Already very odd having a qualifier so early and right during Christmas break. Strange they want it even earlier next year before the 2lbs allowances. Just curious, are wrestlers locked into their weight classes for JV state at this "qualifier"? Usually that's how it works but I'm still getting used to Kentucky rules.

As far as it being a regional qualifier, I'm not sure. It is early, but from what I heard last year the regions that were late had a hard time getting alternate kids in to fill up brackets. It should be the next best, based upon criteria, or rotate by region, but apparently it was not done that way, so early may be better. However, as far as a JV/ girls event if was great for our kids. Had 3 teams not pulled out there would have been about as many girls there as we had at state last year. 

• Upvote 1

I dont see how there could not be an issue with a state qualifier being before Christmas. I would have an issue with it. If it's a "qualifier" you qualify at the weight you wrestle.  Many wrestlers go down a weight class when they get the 2lbs after Christmas.  Why is any qualifier over a month before the tournament? I cant possibly be the only person who thinks that's just weird but then again, what do I know

The Region 1 qualifier wasn't before Christmas. It has never been before Christimas. It has always been the last week of December, after the 2 pounds has been given. If someone one  in Region 1,  other than Christian County or Fort Campbell wants to host the Qualifier have at it. One more thing to consider: most of the other teams in Region 1 do not have multiple coaches so, sending teams to multple places tends to be difficult. js

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:37 AM, naplesme said:

The Region 1 qualifier wasn't before Christmas. It has never been before Christimas. It has always been the last week of December, after the 2 pounds has been given. If someone one  in Region 1,  other than Christian County or Fort Campbell wants to host the Qualifier have at it. One more thing to consider: most of the other teams in Region 1 do not have multiple coaches so, sending teams to multple places tends to be difficult. js

I stand corrected. My bad @naplesme

We have now hit 200 girls weight assessed! 

I count 44 teams with a girl on the roster.

92 wrestlers have at least one match one record in trackwrestling