Mbrown

New rankings

Everyone, 

The first rankings will come out Wednesday. If anyone has information to contribute to the rankings please send a private messages. Also, any information from out in the state, Southwest, southeast Kentucky would be appreciated. 

thanks 

• Like 3

Union has a 92 pound 6th grader who looked solid at KWOA, Ethan Christoffer. Not sure his status for the whole season as he is home schooled and it was his first match with the Junior Braves. @DrBaker can fill you in more on that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Union has a 92 pound 6th grader who looked solid at KWOA, Ethan Christoffer. Not sure his status for the whole season as he is home schooled and it was his first match with the Junior Braves. @DrBaker can fill you in more on that. 

Kid is really good. We will probably see him go to a big private school. 

I'm looking at weights and results. Its hard to do middle school rankings. lol They should fall into place a little better after Walton Verona's Tourney next weekend. 

22 hours ago, Mbrown said:

Everyone, 

The first rankings will come out Wednesday. If anyone has information to contribute to the rankings please send a private messages. Also, any information from out in the state, Southwest, southeast Kentucky would be appreciated. 

thanks 

Do you already have the results from Anderson County tournament on 11/2 and KWOA 11/9. We can probably scrounge up some results from Scott County Dual if you need those.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Saw some great wrestling at Woodford middle.  Walton still looks amazing as usual.   Very surprised at the 130lb kid from warhawks wrestling.  Saw he took first place in a 28 man bracket. Also the little 4th grade kid from there looked good as well.  His last name is Bryant.   A little under sized for that weight but he looked good.  Watched him beat Triton Moncrief 5-0  and stick a kid from Montgomery county in about 20 seconds.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ryle kid looked amazing! What grade is he in?  What I meant was the Bryant kid looked so much smaller for some reason.  He may need to drop to 86 possibly if he wants to be more competitive.  Also, didn’t see any Johnson Central kids there? They have a few studs I’m sure?

Ryle kid (Trumble) 7th grade (True 7th Grader 12 years old no hold back) 

Is Bryant a true 4th grader ? If so he’s got a solid future... No offense but that seems to be the thing in east Ky 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Wrestling1987 said:

Not sure about that. Do you know the name of the kid who won 105lb class.  I think he’s from Taylor County.  Last name Reeves maybe?  I thought he looked great as well! 

Leland Reeves

On 11/24/2019 at 1:12 PM, Wrestling1987 said:

Saw some great wrestling at Woodford middle.  Walton still looks amazing as usual.   Very surprised at the 130lb kid from warhawks wrestling.  Saw he took first place in a 28 man bracket. Also the little 4th grade kid from there looked good as well.  His last name is Bryant.   A little under sized for that weight but he looked good.  Watched him beat Triton Moncrief 5-0  and stick a kid from Montgomery county in about 20 seconds.  

You talking about the "130" pounder that didn't initially make weight and then was allowed to come back to the scale and then he did make weight. Also blew my mind when Strayer who weighed in at 125 had him on his back and the official apparently didn't have himself in good enough position to see it. And to boot the official couldn't keep track of the score to save his life. But hey its early in the season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That match was an embarrassment from an officiating standpoint. I understand we desperately need referees and that you have to start somewhere, but that poor kid was out of his league refereeing that match. Unproven, new refs should not be officiating finals matches at the middle school level. It is not fair to the kids. These matches often have seeding implications.

1 hour ago, Alf said:

That match was an embarrassment from an officiating standpoint. I understand we desperately need referees and that you have to start somewhere, but that poor kid was out of his league refereeing that match. Unproven, new refs should not be officiating finals matches at the middle school level. It is not fair to the kids. These matches often have seeding implications.

I watched the video from that match and counted what the official scored and it was in fact supposed to be 6-5 going into 2nd period not 8-5, he was lost.

• Upvote 1

It's little kids guys!!!!!!!!!       Let them get the experience and stay healthy. And not get burned out. Hopefully continue on to sucessful high school and college careers. It's all practice till state series starts at the high school level. I've seen many great young wrestlers never step foot on the mat in high school. As far as complaining about refs. If youve never refereed a match you can not complain period. Humans make mistakes. You would make mistakes as well. THANK YOU TO ALL OFFICIALS  

No idea about the weight issue. Apparently he made weight or he would have not been wrestling. I’m not the type to get on here and bash middle school kids or refs. I’ll agree that match wasn’t called the best but the Warhawk kid would have won either way.  We are all fans here and these are just kids.  All practice at this point anyway, but no way you can’t say that kid isn’t one of the top kids in the state at that weight

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, take em to the mat said:

It's little kids guys!!!!!!!!!       Let them get the experience and stay healthy. And not get burned out. Hopefully continue on to sucessful high school and college careers. It's all practice till state series starts at the high school level. I've seen many great young wrestlers never step foot on the mat in high school. As far as complaining about refs. If youve never refereed a match you can not complain period. Humans make mistakes. You would make mistakes as well. THANK YOU TO ALL OFFICIALS  

9 hours ago, Wrestling1987 said:

No idea about the weight issue. Apparently he made weight or he would have not been wrestling. I’m not the type to get on here and bash middle school kids or refs. I’ll agree that match wasn’t called the best but the Warhawk kid would have won either way.  We are all fans here and these are just kids.  All practice at this point anyway, but no way you can’t say that kid isn’t one of the top kids in the state at that weight

Excusing poor refereeing, or bending of the rules by saying they are just little kids is not accurate or fair to the “little kids”. The 130 finals match was just the icing on the cake that day. What will burn kids is out is sacrificing and working hard to make weight the FirstTime they step on the scale without having to stand on their head (which I believe is illegal) only to then lose matches that could have seeding implications due to referees being out of position to make calls, making the call the other coaches are screaming for while being out of position to see the action to make such calls, not enforcing the rules (like being returned to the mat with both arms trapped). If we are going to have rules they should be enforced. Another thing that burns kids and parents out is sitting in a gym for fours before the action starts. 

1 hour ago, Alf said:

Excusing poor refereeing, or bending of the rules by saying they are just little kids is not accurate or fair to the “little kids”. The 130 finals match was just the icing on the cake that day. What will burn kids is out is sacrificing and working hard to make weight the FirstTime they step on the scale without having to stand on their head (which I believe is illegal) only to then lose matches that could have seeding implications due to referees being out of position to make calls, making the call the other coaches are screaming for while being out of position to see the action to make such calls, not enforcing the rules (like being returned to the mat with both arms trapped). If we are going to have rules they should be enforced. Another thing that burns kids and parents out is sitting in a gym for fours before the action starts. 

Being a former official, I will say that you are right.  These kids deserve top level officiating for the work that they have put in. 

Here is the rub with officiating events.  The finals come at the end of the day.  That means that after 8.5 hours + (and trust me its most of the time much more +) of grinding, calling hard matches, getting up, getting down, running across the mat, keeping score in your head, dealing with coaches, dealing with scorers table, and dealing with fans - After 8.5 hours + of ALL of that, the official is tasked with calling matches that are the most important and often times most difficult of the day...  I don't know about you, but that's not when I would be my sharpest.

How do we combat that or solve the problem?  More officials to provide more breaks to the officials during the day.  What does it take for that to happen?  1 - a large pool of officials.  2 - money.  

1 - How do we get more officials?  Pay them properly, recruit, and make it a safe environment to "work" in.  If you think of all 3 aspects, they all hit each other.  It's hard to recruit if we can't pay enough.  It's hard to ask officials to work in hostile environment and recruit others to do the same, etc. etc.

2 - Officiating isn't a tax write off.  They are there for the sport, but also want to be compensated for their time, efforts, and knowledge.  Do you think that programs/schools and in turn parents would be willing to pay more for registration fee's for their child to wrestle so that tournament fees could be higher to support having more officials to provide more breaks say they remain sharp?  Another consideration - In most states (I'm not sure about KY), middle school pays less than high school.  So your higher skilled officials can pick and choose where the guys beginning their officiating career will take what they can get to develop skill.  Want high skilled at all middle school events - pay more to officials (which in turn costs more to the wrestler/family).

I'm not meaning to insult or point fingers, these are just the realities.  I don't think there is a silver bullet answer to solve it all.  We all have to as a state hope that officiating numbers get better and the quality of the product on the map follows and gets better.

Best of luck to all this year!