Sign in to follow this  
depperschmidt

Olympic team

Who is your picks for the 6 weights? I have included a few favorites along with my pick.

57kg. Fix, Suriano, Lee, Gilman. PICK: LEE

65kg. Rutherford,  Yanni. PICK: YANNI

74kg. Burroughs,  Dake,  Martinez,  Lewis,  this is my dark horse PICK: LEWIS

86kg. Taylor, Hall, Valencia,  Cox, ( unsure if Cox goes 86 or 97)   PICK: TAYLOR

97kg. Kyle, Cox, Nickel, PICK: CAPT. AMERICA

125kg. Gwiz, Wood, Stevenson, Cassar, PICK: GWIZ.

And it's questionable if Lewis is ready for Dake or Burroughs,  but he did take out Marinelli and Joseph as a freshman for his first NCAA title. To go with his Junior World title. 

Exciting times for Wrestling fans,  lots and lots of talent condensing into a few weight classes. 

Couldn’t agree more. Gross is most definitely a serious threat at 57kg. I just have to wonder about the weight cut affect. I still wish Seth would have stayed a Hawkeye. But on a personal level, I’m glad he was able to get away from his troubles and flourish. I met his father at the NCAAs a couple of years back. Very humble Christian man. Hard not to root for Seth. 

It's going to be wild. It's sad how few weight classes they have for Olympic years. I like the changes for the non years.

I actually am trying to attend. Tokyo is a short flight from Oki. 

Good luck on Tokyo.  

But I love the excitement that is going to occur due to limited weight classes! The US has no fewer than 5 current or former World Champions competing for 3 weight classes. Between 74,,86,97. Snyder, Cox, Tayloy, Dake, Burroughs. Not to mention the list of junior and u23 Champions Hall, Lewis, Nickel, Nolf, it's going to be a Olympic trials tournament for the ages. The new vs old , 57 young guns fix, Surriano, Lee vs Tomacello, Garrett,  Gillman. 65 Rutherford, Yanni vs Molinaro,  Oliver.  

It's gonna be a huge FREEFORALL 

• Like 1

Anyone heading to the Olympic Trials? I went 4 years ago when it was in Iowa City. It was incredible. Iowa did an excellent job hosting. I think I’m going to travel into enemy territory and go watch again this year at Penn State. I’m sure they will do an excellent job as well. So many loaded weight classes. So many World Champs, NCAA Champs and AA’s. I remember last time being so excited to see Metcalf vs Pico, and neither of them even made the team. As the tournament unfolds, story lines become intriguing. (2016 Dan Dennis and Tony Ramos WOW!!) Yep, just talked myself into going for sure. Haha .

• Upvote 1

The most intriguing scenario to me is that of what J’Den Cox faces. He’s an absolute stud and world champ...at a non-Olympic weight. Does he drop and face Taylor?  I think the cons outweigh the pros if he drops. Taylor is big and strong and talented. I think Cox should go up and maximize his strengths against Snyder. 

I bet he goes up and Cox vs Snyder for the Olympic spot will be epic. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I believe it is already sold out

So, what I found out when I went last time was, when wrestlers fall in the first session, their family is done. I bought tickets for like $10 to get in the first session and then bought family passes after that. It might sound bad, but they (most of them) aren’t going to come back and watch, so why not buy their tickets that they will throw away? Obviously it’s never a guarantee, but I attended all sessions last time for around $50. Pretty amazing. Ran into Jordan Burroughs family at UNO’s pizza. They were great. Everyone in a wrestling town on a wrestling weekend are awesome. People who are ex wrestlers that have became MMA stars are so approachable and glad to talk with you. So different than any other sport. Talked with Tyron Woodley and Chael Sonnen. Super down to Earth. Dan Henderson was at our hotel just hanging out with us “common folk.” Lol. So many memories and good times. We (KY) should be flooding Columbus for duals and St Louis for NCAAs. Such a great time.