DrBaker

super 32

Super 32 is up next. Just 4 Ky entries this year. 

Spencer Moore 106 KY Walton Verona High School 10th 2  
Rusty Craddock 138 KY Ryle Wrestling 11th    
CARTER MESSERLY 160 KY Ryle High School 10th    
Cole Thomas 113 KY Ryle High School 10th

KY will have at least 3 All Americans coming home from the Super 32. Lauren Walton and Olivia Messerly are in the semi finals and Spencer Moore has battled through the wrestlebacks. Moore could place as high as 3rd but is guaranteed no less than 8th. Outstanding job by all. Addison Messerly and Brayden Fannin are still alive battling in the wrestlebacks. The ladies are tied for 6th place as a team right now. 

Messerly takes runner up. Got upset by a last second takedown. The New Jersey girl wrestled tough all match long. I would bet they will see each other again down the road. 

Lauren Walton takes 5th. Great job! What an awesome time to be a part of KY wrestling. Year after year we see our own homegrown kids achieve these amazing accomplishments. The ladies we have representing KY are coming up very quickly. Hopefully we get some more KY colleges supporting both men’s and women’s wrestling. Best sport on Earth, hands down. 

Great weekend at Super 32!  It is always awesome to see the time and hard work pay off. It is also pretty neat to watch them practice every day and witness the growth and progress happen. After a decent trip to Va Beach and so so freestyle season, what I saw in practice over the last month gave me confidence Spencer was capable of pulling off wins over Flo #6, #9, #15, and #16 like he did this past weekend. And even though he put in the work and performed on the mat, I’m going to speak for Spencer (he doesn’t get on this site much) and say a lot of people deserve credit and thanks. 

First, big brother Ryan did an amazing job coaching Ky Extreme this summer while I was down with back surgery. He brought some really good stuff back from Cornell and the kids who regularly attended our practices benefitted from it technically and mentally. Second, Coach Schweitzer also did a great job keeping things rolling along on the mat and in the weight room getting these boys stronger. But maybe most of all are the kids who consistently showed up to the barn. Mason Schweitzer, Isaac Thornton, Peyton Mayer, Noah Toomey, TJ Meyer, and Seth Lutes were in the room most days grinding over the last 6-8 weeks as we geared up for this event. A few others like Lauren Walton and Zac Cowan and Tanner Spalding were also around to push the group. Not the biggest or most accomplished group on the planet, but a group that was focused on getting better and helping each other progress. We also had input from proven high level coaches to develop our plan for the summer and fall to prepare for success (if it works for Yianni I think it can help our kids). Those Saturday match days at Madison Central were a component of that plan and a big thanks to those kids who came out and made it successful. 

Like Brandon and I have said for years, I have no idea why we don’t see more kids participating in these things, but I like the group of kids we have in our room and believe in what we are doing and are benefiting from what we have to offer. We are going to keep doing what we do and let the results speak for themselves.  

9 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Great weekend at Super 32!  It is always awesome to see the time and hard work pay off. It is also pretty neat to watch them practice every day and witness the growth and progress happen. After a decent trip to Va Beach and so so freestyle season, what I saw in practice over the last month gave me confidence Spencer was capable of pulling off wins over Flo #6, #9, #15, and #16 like he did this past weekend. And even though he put in the work and performed on the mat, I’m going to speak for Spencer (he doesn’t get on this site much) and say a lot of people deserve credit and thanks. 

First, big brother Ryan did an amazing job coaching Ky Extreme this summer while I was down with back surgery. He brought some really good stuff back from Cornell and the kids who regularly attended our practices benefitted from it technically and mentally. Second, Coach Schweitzer also did a great job keeping things rolling along on the mat and in the weight room getting these boys stronger. But maybe most of all are the kids who consistently showed up to the barn. Mason Schweitzer, Isaac Thornton, Peyton Mayer, Noah Toomey, TJ Meyer, and Seth Lutes were in the room most days grinding over the last 6-8 weeks as we geared up for this event. A few others like Lauren Walton and Zac Cowan and Tanner Spalding were also around to push the group. Not the biggest or most accomplished group on the planet, but a group that was focused on getting better and helping each other progress. We also had input from proven high level coaches to develop our plan for the summer and fall to prepare for success (if it works for Yianni I think it can help our kids). Those Saturday match days at Madison Central were a component of that plan and a big thanks to those kids who came out and made it successful. 

Like Brandon and I have said for years, I have no idea why we don’t see more kids participating in these things, but I like the group of kids we have in our room and believe in what we are doing and are benefiting from what we have to offer. We are going to keep doing what we do and let the results speak for themselves.  

Ranger has spoken, looks like Walton Verona will have all the #1 ranked kids in the state! Just kidding buddy! Proud of Spencer and his awesome showing at Super 32. Proud of any kid who puts in the extra effort in the off season, giving up their weekends for a long road trip, and sacrifices their "fun time" to roll around on those mats and do the little extra things that for some will bring more wins and put them in a better opportunity come state tournament, and for others who have already shown on the preseason big stages that Kentucky wrestling is on the up! Iowa Preseason Nationals is the last big tournament on the list. Season is upon us. Hope for an injury free season, and wish everyone the best of luck. 

11 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Great job Spencer you made your state and sport proud. Ranger congrats to you too Dad. Its always great to watch your son do great things and achieve goals they work so hard to make. More than anything its great to see you share all the credit to the success with so many. It does take everyone and as we grow down here in my little corner of this state I do plan on making it to Madison next year. Good luck during this season to all.

9 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Ranger has spoken, looks like Walton Verona will have all the #1 ranked kids in the state! Just kidding buddy! Proud of Spencer and his awesome showing at Super 32. Proud of any kid who puts in the extra effort in the off season, giving up their weekends for a long road trip, and sacrifices their "fun time" to roll around on those mats and do the little extra things that for some will bring more wins and put them in a better opportunity come state tournament, and for others who have already shown on the preseason big stages that Kentucky wrestling is on the up! Iowa Preseason Nationals is the last big tournament on the list. Season is upon us. Hope for an injury free season, and wish everyone the best of luck. 

Actually, not sure how you read it that way, but it goes the opposite and that is part of my point. We will have very few #1 kids as we only have a few kids all in on wrestling. There are more kids at my barn from other schools than from WV. I understand not everyone can or wants to devote all their time and energy to this sport. But I guarantee a lot will be acting like they want it come February. 

10 hours ago, panthers said:

Great job Spencer you made your state and sport proud. Ranger congrats to you too Dad. Its always great to watch your son do great things and achieve goals they work so hard to make. More than anything its great to see you share all the credit to the success with so many. It does take everyone and as we grow down here in my little corner of this state I do plan on making it to Madison next year. Good luck during this season to all.

I really wish you could bring back 50 medals from events like this to share with all those who play key roles. I think about Ryan who just went through the grind of his first college year.  Since our club doesn’t make any money he spent his entire summer coaching our kids essentially for free to help them get better. There are a number of kids who showed up night in and night out and took tail kicking after tail kicking and many nights pushed past their limits if only to help Spencer. But they kept coming back. And if Spencer needed a partner for an extra workout there were kids who would be there without question. 

30 minutes ago, The Whizzer(d) said:

We were watching and pulling for Spencer.  Congrats!

Very much appreciated. It was nice to share all the texts I received from folks all across the state who were following along. 

13 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I really wish you could bring back 50 medals from events like this to share with all those who play key roles. I think about Ryan who just went through the grind of his first college year.  Since our club doesn’t make any money he spent his entire summer coaching our kids essentially for free to help them get better. There are a number of kids who showed up night in and night out and took tail kicking after tail kicking and many nights pushed past their limits if only to help Spencer. But they kept coming back. And if Spencer needed a partner for an extra workout there were kids who would be there without question. 

Yeah it takes kids like Ryan and my son Skyler for me to come back and give time and energy. There are so many others like them that never get the credit.

This is exactly what it takes for a sport to take off.  Think about the big three. Basketball has intramural leagues with all volunteer coaches, not to mention AAU.  Baseball has little league with the same volunteer coaches, and football leagues with all the same.  With some exceptions these are all x-athletes of their sport, giving back.  

That is why when individuals take the time to actually give back we need to promote it.  We need more like the guys who helped at the super 32.  It would be nice if this was the norm instead of the exception.