JKovach

Closest Program to Bowling Green?

I have a friend/ former football and wrestling teammate relocating from my hometown in Northeast Ohio to Bowling Green. Going to be transferred from the now closed GM plant near Youngstown to the Corvette Assembly plant. 

He was an all-state running back and Ohio state qualifier in wrestling, and apparently his son, who will be entering 6th grade this year, is even better than he was. Son has already won a couple of youth state championships in Ohio. 

They’re looking for a place where the son will be able to continue with both football and wrestling. The best I can tell, Ohio county would be the closest with both, right?

Hartford to Bowling Green is only about 45 minutes down the Natcher Parkway, and they could get even closer if they went further south around Beaver Dam or closer to the Western KY Parkway. 

Anyone know of any programs closer?  Barren County doesn’t have a program anymore that I am aware of, nor does Warren County or Bowling Green Independent, right?

24 minutes ago, JKovach said:

I have a friend/ former football and wrestling teammate relocating from my hometown in Northeast Ohio to Bowling Green. Going to be transferred from the now closed GM plant near Youngstown to the Corvette Assembly plant. 

He was an all-state running back and Ohio state qualifier in wrestling, and apparently his son, who will be entering 6th grade this year, is even better than he was. Son has already won a couple of youth state championships in Ohio. 

They’re looking for a place where the son will be able to continue with both football and wrestling. The best I can tell, Ohio county would be the closest with both, right?

Hartford to Bowling Green is only about 45 minutes down the Natcher Parkway, and they could get even closer if they went further south around Beaver Dam or closer to the Western KY Parkway. 

Anyone know of any programs closer?  Barren County doesn’t have a program anymore that I am aware of, nor does Warren County or Bowling Green Independent, right?

Its just a quick 2 hour drive to Union county :)

I’m not from the area so can’t speak to travel times, but just scanning a map I would suggest considering:

Ohio co - don’t know much about the program/coaches

Christian Co - big fan of the coaches and the passion of Coach Leavell, they have the program headed in a great direction

Hardin Co schools or Taylor co or Larue co - not sure how easy that drive is to/from any of these schools, but are solid options

Christian county is over an hour drive. That’s pretty significant every day. 

He could go into northern Tennessee and be closer. It’s only 36 minutes from Portland, TN to the plant. 

3 hours ago, JKovach said:

He could go into northern Tennessee and be closer. It’s only 36 minutes from Portland, TN to the plant.

Except that Portland doesn't have wrestling. Bowling Green started a youth program. Of course we at Christian County would not object to your coming here. :-)

3 hours ago, naplesme said:

Except that Portland doesn't have wrestling. Bowling Green started a youth program. Of course we at Christian County would not object to your coming here. :-)

I just use Portland as an example. I haven’t really done my homework on TN teams yet. 

What he told me was between 30-45 minutes would be the max he would want to drive every day to work. He can go into Northern TN and have half the drive of Christian County. I did the 1+ hour drive every morning from Georgetown to Cincinnati and it is brutal. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I just think it’s too far from BG, but I will tell him it’s an option. 

We at Daviess County in owensboro would love to have you but hr away little long. But truth White House TN is not far down interstate 65 and they have wrestling maybe 30 mins great little area. I drive through it often and have wrestled them a few times over the years.

My kids both wrestle for LaRue Co and our program is very strong and competitive year end year out! Our football program is very strong as well , when putting the two together it would be a great option for a young man to compete at a high level! 

I also live in LaRue Co and work in Bowling Green very close to Corvette plant ! The drive can be done very easily in 45-60 min depending on which side of The county your on. 

I will also brag on our school and academics! Year end year out we rank in the top 25 in the State for test scores ! 

Hawks Forever!

Taylor County is about 1.5 hrs away from Bowling Green. We are in EST, so it depends on if you’re okay with the time change. We are the only county in the state with a youth, middle school, high school, and college programs for men and women. We have a lot to offer in terms of pathways in school as well. The wrestling team has only been around for 6 years, but has accumulated quite a few accolades in our short history - which has dramatically  increased expectations on and off the mat. If you’re interested, we’d love to have you join our young, but seasoned team.

The closest program is probably Ohio County in Hartford. Its 45 minutes from Bowling Green.  I dont have his number but the coach listed for the high school is Kevin Kretz.

They have a youth club.  Ohio County Youth Wrestling on facebook.

Edited by KWR
Additional information added