Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Region 1 rankings

As I look at fat tests and rosters, I see that lots of spots are wide open for state. As always, any input is welcomed. 

I'm confused by this big school, small school thing. We line up shoulder to shoulder and weigh in. You step on the mat with a guy that weighs the same as you do.

You wrestle whomever is put in front of you.  You're in a tournament mid season!! Oh he's from a big school lets forfeit? 

I know the argument will be lots of small schools can't fill out the weight classes. Lot's of big School can't either. 

No matter your school size youre most likely not gonna win state in any division. If you don't have a full line up.

It basically comes down to the idea that some are trying to make wrestling a team sport instead of an individual sport.  It's been my point for years the team really doesn't matter its the individuals you focus on.  I have always been a fan of "this is my lineup, lets wrestle", the bumping and forfeiting drive me nuts.  In a dual I have rarely looked at the team score or moved kids around unless to get rid of two forfeits and give two kids a match who would otherwise get a forfeit, regardless of if I think my kid can win or not. I also only pull a kid if the opponent is greatly superior AND I think my kid may get physically hurt. (which I rarely do)

At best wrestling is a group sport, the individuals give points the the group.  If you coach the individuals up then the group/team will follow. 

This is just my philosophy of wrestling not saying its right or wrong. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, grappler-of-old said:

It basically comes down to the idea that some are trying to make wrestling a team sport instead of an individual sport.  It's been my point for years the team really doesn't matter its the individuals you focus on.  I have always been a fan of "this is my lineup, lets wrestle", the bumping and forfeiting drive me nuts.  In a dual I have rarely looked at the team score or moved kids around unless to get rid of two forfeits and give two kids a match who would otherwise get a forfeit, regardless of if I think my kid can win or not. I also only pull a kid if the opponent is greatly superior AND I think my kid may get physically hurt. (which I rarely do)

At best wrestling is a group sport, the individuals give points the the group.  If you coach the individuals up then the group/team will follow. 

This is just my philosophy of wrestling not saying its right or wrong. 

I completely agree with your philosophy. I would bump or ask the other coach to bump his kid up. Just to get 2 quality kids on the mat together. It's all practice until the state tournament series starts.

Looks like McCracken will have a pretty full team. Tilghman’s fat tests are rolling in. It’s about to be on in Region 1! 

I keep getting reports of guys being ineligible and some that are hurt. I’ll update rankings after this weekend again and take out the people that haven’t wrestled and add them in as they do. If you think I’m missing people, let me know. 

2 hours ago, Pusher said:

Who is going to be at Armstrong classic 

Caldwell, Calloway, Christian, Hopkinsville, John Hardin, McCracken, Owensboro, Ohio, Paducah, Trigg, Trinity Whitesville.

I think it shows how tough our region is. McCracken put together a good team. Ohio County is getting better. Caldwell has some great young wrestlers. 

All of region 1 will be there besides Union. Should be lots of great matchups. Lots of jockeying for regional seedings. Lots of kids dropping weight classes. Be exciting to see where all the kids fall. I’d like to see Rider vs Grant-Hall part 2. Walls vs Wells. See who wants 106. 

152 is shaping up to be tough. Carr and Conner have had some battles. 3-6 can be anyone's. They all keep beating each other. Gonna be a fun regional tourney. 

It's been a couple of weeks since any talk, updates. So does anyone have anything they want to say about good matchups, surprised about outcome???

7 hours ago, Pusher said:

It's been a couple of weeks since any talk, updates. So does anyone have anything they want to say about good matchups, surprised about outcome???

He updates them weekly. Not always a comment, but he does change it up. 

120 and 113 are gonna be tough this year. We have kids with winning records all the way back to 7th and 8th place. It's gonna be a crazy regional.