Sign in to follow this  
GooglyMoogly

MS/Youth State will be in Pikeville???

On 8/14/2019 at 10:11 AM, DrBaker said:

I am a current assistant coach and this is where I get my info or ask Jon Carr. I have never heard of the google coaches group.  I am not bitching, I just want to help the sport grow. This seems like a good outlet to share info. 

Doc,

The google coaches group was set up by the previous board as Listserv was supposed to be going obsolete. I still use list serv as well as the google page. for all coaching and board issues everything else we send thru https://www.kentuckyusawrestling.org/page/show/1031369-middle-school-elementary- which is OUR KFWC Official website.

• Downvote 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, twenhofelcoach said:

. And as far as travel expenses go, that’s what fundraisers are for. Any organization at this level has to have that in order to pretty much go to any event in this state that is worthwhile. 

Some schools are not allowed to have fundraisers. 

Holy moly. I just googled Pikeville and then mapped it. Talk about remote!  Unbelievable. 

Why not have the tourney, you know, where 90% of the participants actually live?  That’s Louisville, NKY, and Lexington. Tons of facilities available inside of that triangle. 

What a sad thing for the sport. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Holy moly. I just googled Pikeville and then mapped it. Talk about remote!  Unbelievable. 

Why not have the tourney, you know, where 90% of the participants actually live?  That’s Louisville, NKY, and Lexington. Tons of facilities available inside of that triangle. 

What a sad thing for the sport. 

Because someone didn’t renew broadbent arena and it got booked.  Then the rest of the state couldn’t produce a facility big enough. The Pikeville expo center said they would host it free of charge. So that’s what we have. 

• Upvote 1

I know Union, Ft Campbell, and Christian will make the trip, but the Union youth group will probably be cut in half. We will see. I'd bet Paducah will. 

On 8/16/2019 at 3:10 AM, Nkawtg said:

This is where you are incorrect. There are not tons of facilities.  In fact, there are few facilities in the whole state ghat can accommodate this kind of tournament.  People do not realize the floor space for the mats, then combine seating, parking, cost. There are only a hand full of places that will work

I can remember a few years back researching it all to find a new home for state duals, the buildings just arent there. Its a tough situation,  but I also see the need for a big facility a positive because of growth.

I suppose you could always make the tournaments smaller and it would be more easy to find a central location,  but think it would hurt our growth

The simple truth about The Pikeville Expo Center as the host for the State Tournament. When it was discovered that we no longer had Broadbent as a venue(spring meeting) board members began the search for a venue that lasted 2-3 weeks with no venue anywhere in Lexington, Louisville, northern Ky. Or anywhere else in Ky that was big enough to host the number of kids that we traditionally serve or was available for any of the dates that we needed. Expo Center had offered up the site fully sponsored. These places don’t stay available long so a decision had to be made fairly quick. After two more weeks of searching it was cancel the tournament or host in Pikeville. Is it the best venue location? No it is not. But it was a better option than canceling. That is the simple truth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Louden Swain said:

The simple truth about The Pikeville Expo Center as the host for the State Tournament. When it was discovered that we no longer had Broadbent as a venue(spring meeting) board members began the search for a venue that lasted 2-3 weeks with no venue anywhere in Lexington, Louisville, northern Ky. Or anywhere else in Ky that was big enough to host the number of kids that we traditionally serve or was available for any of the dates that we needed. Expo Center had offered up the site fully sponsored. These places don’t stay available long so a decision had to be made fairly quick. After two more weeks of searching it was cancel the tournament or host in Pikeville. Is it the best venue location? No it is not. But it was a better option than canceling. That is the simple truth.

So if I read this correctly, a vote was made (and passed) last fall to change the dates of the MS and Youth tournaments, without there being a venue contract/proposal in place for said new dates?

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, plantmanky1 said:

So if I read this correctly, a vote was made (and passed) last fall to change the dates of the MS and Youth tournaments, without there being a venue contract/proposal in place for said new dates?

I would call that a fair assumption but what is more important here is the understanding that we as a whole need to make the most of the situation because it beats the alternative. Like I said before, it beats canceling.