Sign in to follow this  
GooglyMoogly

MS/Youth State will be in Pikeville???

On 8/14/2019 at 10:11 AM, DrBaker said:

I am a current assistant coach and this is where I get my info or ask Jon Carr. I have never heard of the google coaches group.  I am not bitching, I just want to help the sport grow. This seems like a good outlet to share info. 

Doc,

The google coaches group was set up by the previous board as Listserv was supposed to be going obsolete. I still use list serv as well as the google page. for all coaching and board issues everything else we send thru https://www.kentuckyusawrestling.org/page/show/1031369-middle-school-elementary- which is OUR KFWC Official website.

• Downvote 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, twenhofelcoach said:

. And as far as travel expenses go, that’s what fundraisers are for. Any organization at this level has to have that in order to pretty much go to any event in this state that is worthwhile. 

Some schools are not allowed to have fundraisers. 

Holy moly. I just googled Pikeville and then mapped it. Talk about remote!  Unbelievable. 

Why not have the tourney, you know, where 90% of the participants actually live?  That’s Louisville, NKY, and Lexington. Tons of facilities available inside of that triangle. 

What a sad thing for the sport. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Holy moly. I just googled Pikeville and then mapped it. Talk about remote!  Unbelievable. 

Why not have the tourney, you know, where 90% of the participants actually live?  That’s Louisville, NKY, and Lexington. Tons of facilities available inside of that triangle. 

What a sad thing for the sport. 

Because someone didn’t renew broadbent arena and it got booked.  Then the rest of the state couldn’t produce a facility big enough. The Pikeville expo center said they would host it free of charge. So that’s what we have. 

• Upvote 1

I know Union, Ft Campbell, and Christian will make the trip, but the Union youth group will probably be cut in half. We will see. I'd bet Paducah will. 

On 8/16/2019 at 3:10 AM, Nkawtg said:

This is where you are incorrect. There are not tons of facilities.  In fact, there are few facilities in the whole state ghat can accommodate this kind of tournament.  People do not realize the floor space for the mats, then combine seating, parking, cost. There are only a hand full of places that will work

I can remember a few years back researching it all to find a new home for state duals, the buildings just arent there. Its a tough situation,  but I also see the need for a big facility a positive because of growth.

I suppose you could always make the tournaments smaller and it would be more easy to find a central location,  but think it would hurt our growth

The simple truth about The Pikeville Expo Center as the host for the State Tournament. When it was discovered that we no longer had Broadbent as a venue(spring meeting) board members began the search for a venue that lasted 2-3 weeks with no venue anywhere in Lexington, Louisville, northern Ky. Or anywhere else in Ky that was big enough to host the number of kids that we traditionally serve or was available for any of the dates that we needed. Expo Center had offered up the site fully sponsored. These places don’t stay available long so a decision had to be made fairly quick. After two more weeks of searching it was cancel the tournament or host in Pikeville. Is it the best venue location? No it is not. But it was a better option than canceling. That is the simple truth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Louden Swain said:

The simple truth about The Pikeville Expo Center as the host for the State Tournament. When it was discovered that we no longer had Broadbent as a venue(spring meeting) board members began the search for a venue that lasted 2-3 weeks with no venue anywhere in Lexington, Louisville, northern Ky. Or anywhere else in Ky that was big enough to host the number of kids that we traditionally serve or was available for any of the dates that we needed. Expo Center had offered up the site fully sponsored. These places don’t stay available long so a decision had to be made fairly quick. After two more weeks of searching it was cancel the tournament or host in Pikeville. Is it the best venue location? No it is not. But it was a better option than canceling. That is the simple truth.

So if I read this correctly, a vote was made (and passed) last fall to change the dates of the MS and Youth tournaments, without there being a venue contract/proposal in place for said new dates?

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, plantmanky1 said:

So if I read this correctly, a vote was made (and passed) last fall to change the dates of the MS and Youth tournaments, without there being a venue contract/proposal in place for said new dates?

I would call that a fair assumption but what is more important here is the understanding that we as a whole need to make the most of the situation because it beats the alternative. Like I said before, it beats canceling. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, coachteater said:

This is where you are incorrect. There are not tons of facilities.  In fact, there are few facilities in the whole state ghat can accommodate this kind of tournament.  People do not realize the floor space for the mats, then combine seating, parking, cost. There are only a hand full of places that will work

I can remember a few years back researching it all to find a new home for state duals, the buildings just arent there. Its a tough situation,  but I also see the need for a big facility a positive because of growth.

I suppose you could always make the tournaments smaller and it would be more easy to find a central location,  but think it would hurt our growth

That’s absurd. Of course if you don’t book an arena before hand it probably won’t be available. To say the only option is in a far away town in the edge of the most remote part of the state is just making excuses. People screw up. No big deal. Just own it. 

• Like 1

If they are giving it to us for free, hopefully that means better awards, right?? Compared to Ohio who gets singlets and eagle trophies, we can step it up a notch if we aren't having to spend thousands on a venue. 

4 hours ago, BrisFan said:

If they are giving it to us for free, hopefully that means better awards, right?? Compared to Ohio who gets singlets and eagle trophies, we can step it up a notch if we aren't having to spend thousands on a venue. 

I haven't been in a couple of years, but in the 6 or 7 years I attended (2011-2017) the medals were always nice (much nicer than high school in fact), finalists got singlets, and winners got brackets.  Is that no longer the case?

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I haven't been in a couple of years, but in the 6 or 7 years I attended (2011-2017) the medals were always nice (much nicer than high school in fact), finalists got singlets, and winners got brackets.  Is that no longer the case?

Last year the medals were tiny. Like I had to squint to see them on the table (okay maybe an exaggeration but you get the point). For being a state champion, I feel like the kids deserve more. My kid has been going to state since 2015 and I have never seen them give out singlets to the finalists. In fact, she WAS a finalist in 2015 and didnt receive anything other than a medal. In youth, the kids could get a printed copy of the bracket but not a bracket board or anything special like that. I am hoping they will use the venue funds to put towards the (very well deserved) awards for the kids. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:58 PM, Nkawtg said:

Pikeville is closer to Charleston, SC than it is a third of the state of Ky. 

I believe you’ve missed the fact that it’s the only facility suitable for the number of kids that we serve, given the time restraints of trying to find this kind of venue in a short timeframe. For instance NKU has a program coming up and we really wanted to go there,  bad news was that there arena is booked for 4 years in the window of time we need. There is no argument that the location is out there, but it’s a venue and it’s sponsored. Not to mention that it is located in region 4 which is the largest in the state if you want to use your  Charleston South Carolina argument. 

I stand by my previous post, it beats canceling. We need to pull together and make the best of what we have, division only hurts kids and the sport.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Middle School Had the 5.5 inch medals, singlets, bracket boards.  Youth had the 3 inch medals and got to keep the bracket paper from the table. 

All those contracts with vendors were voided when KSWA was dissolved and the new group was created. 

1 hour ago, BrisFan said:

Last year the medals were tiny. Like I had to squint to see them on the table (okay maybe an exaggeration but you get the point). For being a state champion, I feel like the kids deserve more. My kid has been going to state since 2015 and I have never seen them give out singlets to the finalists. In fact, she WAS a finalist in 2015 and didnt receive anything other than a medal. In youth, the kids could get a printed copy of the bracket but not a bracket board or anything special like that. I am hoping they will use the venue funds to put towards the (very well deserved) awards for the kids. 

This would be a statement that Ranger or Dutch could field better in detail but I remember 2013-2018 my son qualifying those years and  their being brackets , finalist gear and huge medals that John Roth, Jason and Brandon designed. My son has one of those brackets on his wall and the gear and 4 MS medals to show for it. The only girl I can recall was Miracle at 92 lbs back when we were in Montgomery county in 2014-15 and she was a beast!! BUT I do agree that the last couple years the awards have changed and the excitement towards the finals were lack luster. Not fitting for kids that work hard all year for 4:30 of spotlight!!

1 hour ago, BrisFan said:

1 hour ago, plantmanky1 said:

Middle School Had the 5.5 inch medals, singlets, bracket boards.  Youth had the 3 inch medals and got to keep the bracket paper from the table. 

All those contracts with vendors were voided when KSWA was dissolved and the new group was created. 

Didn't realize things had changed.  I guess the last time I really paid attention was 2016 (the year before the tourney moved to Broadbent), when one of the kids I coached made the finals, and I know for a fact that he did get a singlet (he wore it in the finals match). Back then, large medals, bracket boards, and singlets were standard practice.  I can't really speak for the last 3 years.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, gameface said:

This would be a statement that Ranger or Dutch could field better in detail but I remember 2013-2018 my son qualifying those years and  their being brackets , finalist gear and huge medals that John Roth, Jason and Brandon designed. My son has one of those brackets on his wall and the gear and 4 MS medals to show for it. The only girl I can recall was Miracle at 92 lbs back when we were in Montgomery county in 2014-15 and she was a beast!! BUT I do agree that the last couple years the awards have changed and the excitement towards the finals were lack luster. Not fitting for kids that work hard all year for 4:30 of spotlight!!

1 hour ago, plantmanky1 said:

1 hour ago, Louden Swain said:

I believe you’ve missed the fact that it’s the only facility suitable for the number of kids that we serve, given the time restraints of trying to find this kind of venue in a short timeframe. For instance NKU has a program coming up and we really wanted to go there,  bad news was that there arena is booked for 4 years in the window of time we need. There is no argument that the location is out there, but it’s a venue and it’s sponsored. Not to mention that it is located in region 4 which is the largest in the state if you want to use your  Charleston South Carolina argument. 

I stand by my previous post, it beats canceling. We need to pull together and make the best of what we have, division only hurts kids and the sport.

These are all discussind that should be had between the coaches at the coaches meetings not in a forum setting like this. It undermines what the real reason we are all here for and that is the wrestlers themselves. 

32 minutes ago, gameface said:

You are correct. I remember John and Brandon and I always saying our goal was to make these kids disappointed when they got to HS State by making the MS state an awesome experience. We tried really hard and Adam sometimes had to reign us in because we wanted to go too big. And as you mentioned through 2018 that trend continued. 

New medals were ordered noone knows why. the previus medals were fine. The plans for this yaers tournament are set and will be all the the wrestlers. Ranger you are invited to come relax and enjoy. Our announcer will have fun time this yaer, Gameface knows him personally. 

2 minutes ago, Bulldoglife said:

New medals were ordered noone knows why. the previus medals were fine. The plans for this yaers tournament are set and will be all the the wrestlers. Ranger you are invited to come relax and enjoy. Our announcer will have fun time this yaer, Gameface knows him personally. 

When the last board dissolved the KSWA to form whatever it is called now under KYUSA Wrestling they told me to cancel all the vendor contracts for singlets, medals, bracket boards. 

37 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

You are correct. I remember John and Brandon and I always saying our goal was to make these kids disappointed when they got to HS State by making the MS state an awesome experience. We tried really hard and Adam sometimes had to reign us in because we wanted to go too big. And as you mentioned through 2018 that trend continued. 

Good times, we did so much considering the financial constraints we had at the time.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Bulldoglife said:

These are all discussind that should be had between the coaches at the coaches meetings not in a forum setting like this. It undermines what the real reason we are all here for and that is the wrestlers themselves. 

I have to disagree with you here Bulldog ole buddy. This is exactly where all the people that love this sport can come and give their insight. It’s just that, an insight or opinion, thought or feeling. This exact forum is where we came to the realization we needed to start with 3 different divisions for youth to allow small, middle and big schools all have a chance to win team championships. Matt Lee and I had the pleasure to start that years ago and it seems to be a success. Same thing with the 16 man brackets and the weight classes vs 10% rule. Everyone on this sight loves this sport and Kentucky wrestling specifically. The previous admin did a great job with a lot of things for this sport just like the admins before them. We all did it for the same pay!!! The same as your collecting now!! It’s for the love of these kids and sport!!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, gameface said:

I have to disagree with you here Bulldog ole buddy. This is exactly where all the people that love this sport can come and give their insight. It’s just that, an insight or opinion, thought or feeling. This exact forum is where we came to the realization we needed to start with 3 different divisions for youth to allow small, middle and big schools all have a chance to win team championships. Matt Lee and I had the pleasure to start that years ago and it seems to be a success. Same thing with the 16 man brackets and the weight classes vs 10% rule. Everyone on this sight loves this sport and Kentucky wrestling specifically. The previous admin did a great job with a lot of things for this sport just like the admins before them. We all did it for the same pay!!! The same as your collecting now!! It’s for the love of these kids and sport!!

Agreed.  In order to continue to grow the sport, it’s important to hear the opinions from the non coaches/parents/fans.  Doesn’t mean you have to do everything that group wants, but it’s certainly important to know what they are thinking, especially if there are issues that the board doesn’t know about.  How can you look out for the best interests of your constituents if you don’t know how they feel?  

• Upvote 1