Sign in to follow this  
GooglyMoogly

MS/Youth State will be in Pikeville???

I have heard it will be in Pikeville but do not understand why they would not have it more centrally located. I have several kids that are looking forward to attending but if it is in Pikeville we won't be going. That is more than a 5 hour drive from where we are. Disappointing to say the least.

Sounds to me that there needs to be regional meetings so that all can attend.   Many youth an middle school programs are coached by volunteers, usually parents.  When they are asked to attend meetings hours away many will not attend.  

Would it be so hard to have a regional meeting then take votes at these meetings then a representative from each region attend a state meeting for the final tally? Then have another regional meeting to discuss the outcome of the state meeting.  and so on. 

Yeah yeah yeah I know "if you want your voice heard and your team to be heard attend the meeting".  But as I said most are volunteer parents who ultimately only care about the program until their kid is in high school.  You can't expect the high school coaches to do it all, which is who is really most interested in improving the program. 

On 7/3/2019 at 12:17 PM, Bulldoglife said:

Any and all announcements concerning MS and Youth can be found here. Also sent to coaches via email group

https://www.kentuckyusawrestling.org/page/show/1031369-middle-school-elementary-

I cant find anywhere on the link where it states the State Tournament will be in Pikeville and haven't seen any emails sent via the email group. Am I missing it somewhere?

1 hour ago, jnv858 said:

I cant find anywhere on the link where it states the State Tournament will be in Pikeville and haven't seen any emails sent via the email group. Am I missing it somewhere?

E0FA99C1-8D1D-49CC-9561-CDB30DAB674D.jpeg

The funny part about all of this is that no matter where they have it, someone will complain, They (the board) who actually keep the middle school/ youth going in this state, searched for weeks for places that actually had a date open and a facility big enough to do the two day event . This is what they found. They post and gave ample time for teams/state to know. Do you know how hard it is too find a facility in this state during quote “basketball season” to give up a whole weekend for wrestling. One, I would be thankful they found a place to have the state tournament during wrestling season. Options in this state for arenas in February are really sparse. Do a search yourself and you’ll see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twenhofelcoach said:

The funny part about all of this is that no matter where they have it, someone will complain, They (the board) who actually keep the middle school/ youth going in this state, searched for weeks for places that actually had a date open and a facility big enough to do the two day event . This is what they found. They post and gave ample time for teams/state to know. Do you know how hard it is too find a facility in this state during quote “basketball season” to give up a whole weekend for wrestling. One, I would be thankful they found a place to have the state tournament during wrestling season. Options in this state for arenas in February are really sparse. Do a search yourself and you’ll see

This place isn’t the best to share information especially during the summer. I don’t think it was made clear on this thread where to find the state tournament venue.  

It’s tough to find a venue... it’s tough to get people to meetings. It’s tough to make everyone happy. But what do you expect? Nobody to not say anything? I just hope this is a one year deal, and we can find a better location for years to come. 

Unfortunately due to travel expenses I foresee teams not attending. ESP at the youth level. I pray that it’s not the case, but just being realistic.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pin2win said:

This place isn’t the best to share information especially during the summer. I don’t think it was made clear on this thread where to find the state tournament venue.  

It’s tough to find a venue... it’s tough to get people to meetings. It’s tough to make everyone happy. But what do you expect? Nobody to not say anything? I just hope this is a one year deal, and we can find a better location for years to come. 

Unfortunately due to travel expenses I foresee teams not attending. ESP at the youth level. I pray that it’s not the case, but just being realistic.  

This forum isn’t the forum for most information, www.kentuckyusawrestling.com , is where anyone that’s involved with coaching/running any youth/middle school organization. And as far as travel expenses go, that’s what fundraisers are for. Any organization at this level has to have that in order to pretty much go to any event in this state that is worthwhile. Unfortunately you’re correct in this “basketball state”, wrestling is a bottom tier sport. I coached for five years at this level and had too raise money throughout the year to be able to go to tournaments throughout the year across the state. Yes we didn’t make it to all of them. But we planned/funded most of the money to go to the state tournament wherever it was held. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twenhofelcoach said:

This forum isn’t the forum for most information, www.kentuckyusawrestling.com , is where anyone that’s involved with coaching/running any youth/middle school organization. And as far as travel expenses go, that’s what fundraisers are for. Any organization at this level has to have that in order to pretty much go to any event in this state that is worthwhile. Unfortunately you’re correct in this “basketball state”, wrestling is a bottom tier sport. I coached for five years at this level and had too raise money throughout the year to be able to go to tournaments throughout the year across the state. Yes we didn’t make it to all of them. But we planned/funded most of the money to go to the state tournament wherever it was held. 

Trust me I know... I don’t have an issue finding or being aware of where it find information. The forums is where most people get their information or through the  emails (which gets overlooked). I agree and understand that’s what fundraisers are for, but just throwing out reasons why teams will say they can’t make it. We will do our part to get our guys to state. 

Let’s be honest here... not every MS/Youth coach keeps their ears to what’s going on until about this time of the year. When it’s too late and now it just sounds like complaints after complaints. We’ve have to figure out a better way to get more coaches involved, information passed out to others better. 

I appreciate the board and what they do. Can only imagine the time and energy spent. 

• Like 1

I understand how this is not ideal for teams west of Louisville. We have a hard time getting kids to commit to youth state in Louisville every year because of the distance. I am appreciative to the Pikeville expo center for allowing us to use their facility. Free of charge I believe as well. I’m glad we didn’t get stuck in some high school some where trying to figure out how to run it. 

In the big scheme of things its just a couple more hours of driving. Most everything else is the same. We should just embrace a money savings and roll with it.

20 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I can make it there from my house in Maryland quicker than @DrBaker can from Ervinland. That is unfortunate. Guess we should have HS state in Murray to counteract this. 

You like Ervinland? You'll be moving back. HS state couldn't be in Murray. It's a basketball school. I'd bet they have games. 

All this will be discussed at the coaches meeting Next month. It will not be debated here. We urge every Program to send a coach to this meeting. I will post the time and Venue for the meeting on the Google coaches group within the next week once arrangements are verified.

2 hours ago, Bulldoglife said:

All this will be discussed at the coaches meeting Next month. It will not be debated here. We urge every Program to send a coach to this meeting. I will post the time and Venue for the meeting on the Google coaches group within the next week once arrangements are verified.

Can you post it here also? Or provide some instructions on the Google Coaches group? We are between coaches on the middle school team and would like more information. Thanks

19 hours ago, chad.greenwell said:

Can you post it here also? Or provide some instructions on the Google Coaches group? We are between coaches on the middle school team and would like more information. Thanks

I’m not sure I understand the reluctance (or refusal) to post that information here.  There are likely more than a few coaches who have no idea about the coaches group, how to join, etc.  as a former coach looking in from the outside, it feels like everything is now less transparent and secretive.  Even the new site doesn’t directly state where the State Tourney is...you have to click on a link to find out the location.  Why not just post it?  Again, it feels secretive, and almost like this whole process wants to be kept quiet.  

Like it or not, this is still the place where most come to get their information.  Not using this site as a communication vehicle is wasting a resource to communicate and release information and is driving a wedge between the Board and the general wrestling community.

• Like 2

Rick they were asking about Coaches meeting which is only open for Coaches or team representative not the general public. The coaches meeting information will be sent out via Google Coaches Group and list serv no later than Tuesday 08/20..

All general information is on our KFWC webpage    https://www.kentuckyusawrestling.org/page/show/1031369-middle-school-elementary-

3 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I’m not sure I understand the reluctance (or refusal) to post that information here.  There are likely more than a few coaches who have no idea about the coaches group, how to join, etc.  as a former coach looking in from the outside, it feels like everything is now less transparent and secretive.  Even the new site doesn’t directly state where the State Tourney is...you have to click on a link to find out the location.  Why not just post it?  Again, it feels secretive, and almost like this whole process wants to be kept quiet.  

Like it or not, this is still the place where most come to get their information.  Not using this site as a communication vehicle is wasting a resource to communicate and release information and is driving a wedge between the Board and the general wrestling community.

I am a current assistant coach and this is where I get my info or ask Jon Carr. I have never heard of the google coaches group.  I am not bitching, I just want to help the sport grow. This seems like a good outlet to share info. 

• Like 1

Doc,

The googlre coaches group was set up by the prvious biard as Listserv was supposed to be going obsolete. I still use list serv as well as the google page. for all coaching and board issues everything else we send thru https://www.kentuckyusawrestling.org/page/show/1031369-middle-school-elementary- which is OUR KFWC Official website.