Sign in to follow this  
DocG

Bellarmine!!! Kentucky getting a D1 wrestling program!!!!

From what I see, the D1 conference bellermine is joining, The Atlantic Sun, doesn’t have wrestling, but they could possibly be granted permission to wrestle in another conference 

8 hours ago, Wkywrestler said:

From what I see, the D1 conference bellermine is joining, The Atlantic Sun, doesn’t have wrestling, but they could possibly be granted permission to wrestle in another conference 

Wrestling independent in D1

54 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Wrestling independent in D1

I read that too,  but from looking at all the other teams, i think they will move into a conference at some point. Every team in d1 is in a conference from what i saw. Think it will just take a yr or 2 to figure out where they will go

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

I read that too,  but from looking at all the other teams, i think they will move into a conference at some point. Every team in d1 is in a conference from what i saw. Think it will just take a yr or 2 to figure out where they will go

From what I heard it'll most likely be the SoCon. They won't be able to compete at nationals for 4 years.

It's definitely a huge step in the right direction for KY wrestling! Keldon and Alex Rivera are both going to be a part of this transition phase. I am excited to see how much Bellarmine and KY wrestling grow in the upcoming seasons! Go Knights! 

3 hours ago, Down by 3 said:

It's definitely a huge step in the right direction for KY wrestling! Keldon and Alex Rivera are both going to be a part of this transition phase. I am excited to see how much Bellarmine and KY wrestling grow in the upcoming seasons! Go Knights! 

Hopefully more KY kids will consider Bellarmine.  Last year there were only 2 KY kids on the roster.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Hopefully more KY kids will consider Bellarmine.  Last year there were only 2 KY kids on the roster.

I’m the first in line to celebrate the fact that the state of Kentucky was finally able to get a D1 program. As recent as 10 years ago that seemed highly unlikely, if not impossible. However, Bellarmine’s tuition is no joke (upwards of $60,000 annually). I realize that grants and scholarships will bring that down, but that’s a lot of money. I’m interested to see how that impacts recruiting/depth for their team. 

Hopefully they will have scolar/athlete assistance for all sports equally. Not just pump $'s into basketball and allow other sports to just survive. 

Maybe the Bellermine wrestling coach can shed some light on whats to be expected. I would assume he's monitoring this page. 

On 6/26/2019 at 5:16 PM, rjs4470 said:

Agreed, always love to see KY kids staying in state. It can be hard for schools to pull in a lot of KY kids just because of all the options. I think there are 108 high schools with wrestling in KY now, with so many colleges in state trying to pull in the talent, not to mention  the out of state schools pulling kids.

Bellarmine

Cumberlands

Lindsey Wilson

Campbellsville

Kentucky Wesleyan

Midway

Thomas More

• Upvote 1

I agree with all of the points made. It will surely be a huge task, but I know Coach Adams will make the most of the opportunity! I plan to use this as a recruiting tool, giving kids an opportunity to go to college, has been part of my program since day 1. All college is expensive! That's why we focus on grades and tests, the higher they are, the cheaper college gets. Bellarmine just seemed the best fit for our family , this news is just a bonus! They do offer a ton of academic and need based scholarship's at most of the college's in KY.