Sign in to follow this  
pin2win

State Finals Video

Did anyone by chance record the state finals this past year? I've been checking the KHSAA YouTube Channel, and it seems like they've got everything, but the wrestling state finals on there from this year.

I spoke with the KHSAA and they did not record it. The NFHS typically records it and they felt there was not a high enough viewer ship.

51 minutes ago, EAST said:

I spoke with the KHSAA and they did not record it. The NFHS typically records it and they felt there was not a high enough viewer ship.

Now that really sucks. Would be nice to know beforehand so teams can make plans even though I’m sure they still wouldn’t allow us to get good video footage. 

Someone broadcasted a few of the matches on periscope. Here is a link. It is from a phone video feed, so even though it is a little shaky at times, it's better than nothing.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/b9yxHjk2NTM5MzJ8MU95S0F5eUxxenJLYjkoDGheHKdBiuHGxYRnWGSj6cDh3mADaIETQ61uLfbF

https://www.pscp.tv/w/b9ywbzk2NTM5MzJ8MVprS3pra1lBd2VHdq4QEz4gJhDMDJc4rsPOXb8KZjgxlBNTqMHWpC4LBxDW

5 hours ago, gameface said:

what’s it going to take to get coverage for HS State?

Someone with a little bit of sense to be in charge. The stupid part of this is that it could actually be profitable to stream the event through track. At $15 a pop my guess is at least a few hundred people would purchase the stream. 

Agreed 100%. There’s a financial winfall for KHSAA with no ownership to it. They could let A college media program do it and sell a connection/coverage fee to cover costs. The girls and boys basketball has great coverage during the games, post and pre game. Not to mention the video they put together for the finals. The had it edited within hours and up on Rupps big screen for the finals!

It really stinks for the kids and parents. I know I enjoyed the very good video footage posted from the 2017 and 2018 finals. I’ve watched Ryan’s matches multiple times. Feel really bad that the kids didn’t get that same benefit this past year. Hopefully they fix it going forward. 

When I called and talked to Mike Barren about when they (KHSAA) was planning on posting the wrestling finals his response was I don't remember if it was recorded. He then had to ask someone else in the office if it was recorded. Then he explained that a group I'm not sure of the initials FHSA or something like that records sports around the state and that there was a subscription cost of 10.00 to view it and that they felt it wouldn't generate enough revenue so they didn't record it. 

So The representative for wrestling at the KHSAA didn't know if the finals were recorded. These are the same people that won't seed the state tournament. Now we use Track through out the year so the tournament could be seeded fairly easy and streamed at each table through out the tournament and the finals.

This past state meet they had to almost beg to go down to one mat for the finals. I was told they had a time schedule to keep and going down to one mat would slow that down and keep them from getting finished and out of the arena on time. If you remember the year before the officials had to roll up the mats at the end of the tournament now that took about 45 minutes to an hour. This year the coaches rolled all the mats up but one for the finals in ten minutes which theoretically would get them out earlier and made the finals better. My point is there is logical realistic way to improve the state meet making it a better experience for everyone involved.   

An example of how contradictory they are funds were raised to the have medals made and to purchase brackets that represent the work the boys put in rather than the bus token the KHSAA gives out. The KHSAA said they couldn't give them out on the podium so this last year they were made into plaques. The reason was that it wouldn't be fair to other sports that don't have the revenue to do that.  So if their goal is everyone gets the same thing why are the basketball and football tournaments seeded and recorded. 

If we can't have someone at the KHSAA that has this sports best interest in mind. We can at least let them know what changes we are looking for as a group. Now I don't know how to do this but I think an online petition needs to be started with the changes that need to occur (seeding, video, location ect.). Having coaches parent ect. sighing it would have a stronger impact than one call hear and there. There is strength in numbers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, EAST said:

When I called and talked to Mike Barren about when they (KHSAA) was planning on posting the wrestling finals his response was I don't remember if it was recorded. He then had to ask someone else in the office if it was recorded. Then he explained that a group I'm not sure of the initials FHSA or something like that records sports around the state and that there was a subscription cost of 10.00 to view it and that they felt it wouldn't generate enough revenue so they didn't record it. 

So The representative for wrestling at the KHSAA didn't know if the finals were recorded. These are the same people that won't seed the state tournament. Now we use Track through out the year so the tournament could be seeded fairly easy and streamed at each table through out the tournament and the finals.

This past state meet they had to almost beg to go down to one mat for the finals. I was told they had a time schedule to keep and going down to one mat would slow that down and keep them from getting finished and out of the arena on time. If you remember the year before the officials had to roll up the mats at the end of the tournament now that took about 45 minutes to an hour. This year the coaches rolled all the mats up but one for the finals in ten minutes which theoretically would get them out earlier and made the finals better. My point is there is logical realistic way to improve the state meet making it a better experience for everyone involved.   

An example of how contradictory they are funds were raised to the have medals made and to purchase brackets that represent the work the boys put in rather than the bus token the KHSAA gives out. The KHSAA said they couldn't give them out on the podium so this last year they were made into plaques. The reason was that it wouldn't be fair to other sports that don't have the revenue to do that.  So if their goal is everyone gets the same thing why are the basketball and football tournaments seeded and recorded. 

If we can't have someone at the KHSAA that has this sports best interest in mind. We can at least let them know what changes we are looking for as a group. Now I don't know how to do this but I think an online petition needs to be started with the changes that need to occur (seeding, video, location ect.). Having coaches parent ect. sighing it would have a stronger impact than one call hear and there. There is strength in numbers.

EAST I was going to post that it needs to start with the Wrestling Advisory Committee and those who are on the committee being the voice.  Then I noticed that KHSAA must have done away with said committee as it is no longer listed on KHSAA. 

Capture.PNG

39 minutes ago, EAST said:

This is why I'm on this forum. I thought that the people that love this sport in this state could be the people that run it and make a difference. I think track should show every match and the whole state would make a lot of money off of it. 

45 minutes ago, EAST said:

So if their goal is everyone gets the same thing why are the basketball and football tournaments seeded and recorded. 

Neither is seeded. 

43 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Neither is seeded. 

I spoke with one of the Coaches from Male high School he informed me  the KHSAA is implementing a seeding for football the criteria is on their web sight.

2 hours ago, EAST said:

I

3 hours ago, EAST said:

2 hours ago, EAST said:

I spoke with one of the Coaches from Male high School he informed me  the KHSAA is implementing a seeding for football the criteria is on their web sight.

Looks like they are going to use an RPI system.  

Not sure how that would work in wrestling.  To many individuals to contend with plus way more out of state competition. 

But I have always stood firm against seeding the state tourney. I don't have faith in getting it any more correct than it already is.  Even Ranger can't get it all correct with all his research. 

I have conceded to using last years state results for seeding as some other states have done.  

However we as a wrestling community should have been notified that the finals were not going to be recorded so that someone could get it done for those who could not see it in person. 

If we want wrestling videos recorded, just hire a media company to come in and record them and they can post/give them away freely. There's little to no editing involved. Could the coaches association make that happen as well and do a gofundme.com to raise the money? Along these lines, I reached out David Rearic @ DR Productions and he said he would be interested. If that gets going, count me in as a donor. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

However we as a wrestling community should have been notified that the finals were not going to be recorded so that someone could get it done for those who could not see it in person. 

In the 5 years I have seen the state tournament, I don't think the state has ever released a full match video. I would expect them not to do it. 

34 minutes ago, Eat at Joe's said:

If we want wrestling videos recorded, just hire a media company to come in and record them and they can post/give them away freely. There's little to no editing involved. Could the coaches association make that happen as well and do a gofundme.com to raise the money? Along these lines, I reached out David Rearic @ DR Productions and he said he would be interested. If that gets going, count me in as a donor. 

In the 5 years I have seen the state tournament, I don't think the state has ever released a full match video. I would expect them not to do it. 

Yes go look it up on YouTube. The KHSAA official YouTube page has posted the entire finals session multiple times over the last decade. And the problem with getting a media company involved is the KHSAA would have to cooperate for that company to be able to get access for decent video coverage which is not likely. 

2 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Yes go look it up on YouTube. The KHSAA official YouTube page has posted the entire finals session multiple times over the last decade. And the problem with getting a media company involved is the KHSAA would have to cooperate for that company to be able to get access for decent video coverage which is not likely. 

I didn't have any issues when I did it. It was the commercial photography license and that allowed for video. I did the 2017 videos after the 2016 finals weren't recorded. I don't know who did 2018 and I only filmed one from the stands this year. 

5 hours ago, EAST said:

The whole football playoffs are NOT going to be seeded.  The seeding will not occur until after the second round of the playoffs is completed.  Then in round 3, the teams will be seeded based on an RPI type formula.  

3 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Looks like they are going to use an RPI system.  

Not sure how that would work in wrestling.  To many individuals to contend with plus way more out of state competition. 

But I have always stood firm against seeding the state tourney. I don't have faith in getting it any more correct than it already is.  Even Ranger can't get it all correct with all his research. 

I have conceded to using last years state results for seeding as some other states have done.  

Any attempt at seeding is better than a completely random draw.  I agree, no system will be perfect, and there will always be kids who outwrestle (or under perform) their seeds.  But the current random draw ALWAYS leads to more than a few hammers meeting before the semi's.  You don't have to seed 1-32.  I'd be more than happy just seeding the region winners and every else following in from there based on region placement.  

Not seeding simply because it won't be perfect, is not a good reason to not even try.  Every major national tournament manages to seed wrestlers somewhat logically.  No reason the State of Kentucky can't.

22 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

With Trackwrestling, there is no need to get a media company involved at all.  They are already paying to use track to run the tourney.  All they need is to buy a dozen video cams (you need backups) to attach to the scoring computers and the infrastructure is done.  Sell subscriptions to the event, get a few sponsors involved and they are guaranteed to make money off streaming the event.  I know I've heard the wifi at the Horsepark isn't cheap, but even with that cost, I don't see how the KHSAA can't make steaming the event a positive revenue generator.  

• Like 1