Sign in to follow this  
Never can log in

Weight Class Changes

So who decided to change Kentucky's weight classes? Was it the coaches? Board? USA wrestling? If this is true, what will the New weight classes be next year? Why were the changes made? If this is true? Kentucky will lose 2 State Champions by eliminating the weights? This fixed or helped what problem? 106 was very TOUGH last year! I can't understand getting rid of it? What other weight class did Kentucky lose? Can somebody please list the weight classes that Kentucky will have next year, in the comments section please!. Thanks.

• Like 1

Ive seen they are talking bout changes. The changes come from nfhs. They are saying there are too many forfeits and teams are having to hard a time filling teams, thats main reason for the chsnge. I havent seen any official word from khsaa on it yet

I believe it is more about reducing the number of wt. classes.  Most teams cannot fill 14 wt classes.  

I am not in favor of removing the lower wt. class.  The one thing that is great about wrestling is that a 100 lb kid has a place to compete in sports.  Its all about getting more kids into athletics.  Maybe its because I was one of them.  I know if there would not have been a 98 lb wt class when I was a freshman I would never have wrestled.  Heck I never made it over 110 till my Jr. year.  

On 6/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, grappler-of-old said:

I believe it is more about reducing the number of wt. classes.  Most teams cannot fill 14 wt classes.  

I am not in favor of removing the lower wt. class.  The one thing that is great about wrestling is that a 100 lb kid has a place to compete in sports.  Its all about getting more kids into athletics.  Maybe its because I was one of them.  I know if there would not have been a 98 lb wt class when I was a freshman I would never have wrestled.  Heck I never made it over 110 till my Jr. year.  

I would totally be in favor of the 98lb weight class to come back. But I am in a very small # who will say that.

I am against dropping the #s but I get if it is needed. I just don't think 12 is the answer. 

It looks like PA is the one leading the charge on this.  Kind of like asking the rich to decide what the poor need.  

However PA is looking into allowing more than 1 kid per wt. class.  and only one scoring team points kind of like our middle schools do. 

this is the article I read. https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/wrestling/2019/05/piaa-board-of-directors-passes-provision-to-reduce-number-of-wrestling-weight-classes.html

This was another interesting article. https://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/wrestling/mc-spt-high-school-wrestling-weight-classes-forfeits-20190523-ymsqfyd2nfdfnoxbpcdiug6ssi-story.html

Some states such as New Mexico already do that, that being allowing multiple kids per weight class. I assume because numbers are so low in New Mexico

Would they require every state to do the drop in weight classes? I know Michigan still has the old weight classes and a couple states such as New York still have 98

Each state can decide their own rules.  But if they are part of NFHS then they agree to their standards and rules. 

I'm not sure what is best.  Adding more wt. classes hurt the smaller teams, and subtracting hurts the larger teams.  

If you add then small teams can't come close to competing especially in duals, and may drop teams. 

If you subtract then large schools have a log jam of kids at wt. classes and kids my stop wrestling. 

Maybe go to 12 wt. classes and allow (3) extra's at tourneys. That way you have 12 at duals and 15 at tournaments. This might even help the small schools because if they have 2 kids at a wt. class they can both compete at that wt. in a tourney and not have to move up a wt. class. 

Kind of like our government. Each state equally represented in the Senate and represented by population in the House. 

2 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Each state can decide their own rules.  But if they are part of NFHS then they agree to their standards and rules. 

I'm not sure what is best.  Adding more wt. classes hurt the smaller teams, and subtracting hurts the larger teams.  

If you add then small teams can't come close to competing especially in duals, and may drop teams. 

If you subtract then large schools have a log jam of kids at wt. classes and kids my stop wrestling. 

Maybe go to 12 wt. classes and allow (3) extra's at tourneys. That way you have 12 at duals and 15 at tournaments. 

In many states, duals make up a very large part, if not most of the season.  Where I’m from, teams wrestle in maybe 2 or 3 individual tournaments (not including post season) with the rest of the season made up of 2 or 3 team dual meets.  Forfeits are a real drag, both for teams and spectators when duals are most of your season, which is why there’s a push to reduce classes.

The raising of the forfeit receivers hand has got to go.  Even the kid receiving the forfeit doesn't like it.  Just have those kids show up before the start of the dual and check in and the official acknowledge the wrestler and forfeit then start the actual matches. 

7 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

The raising of the forfeit receivers hand has got to go.  Even the kid receiving the forfeit doesn't like it.  Just have those kids show up before the start of the dual and check in and the official acknowledge the wrestler and forfeit then start the actual matches. 

agreed

10 hours ago, take em to the mat said:

agreed

It's embarrassing. You trained all year, made weight, now you have to put on a singlet and step out and NOT get to wrestle. I've always said they need to cut the loser out of the MMA hand raising. You lose a match, you should get to go in peace, not stand there in agony. 

I will play the devils advocate a bit. Im not opposed to the walking out to get your hand raised for a forfeit. Although its disappointing for my kid not to get a match, I use it as a teaching tool and build them up with it. I am proud that they were there for their team, they made weight and were in a position to wrestle if needed, and by those things they earned our team points. Many times those points can be the difference in a team win as well. So while in general I hate to see forfeits,  they can be turned into positives.

19 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Depending on the line up, coaches dont always know whos wrestling at what weight to start the dual, so hard to do this. You know many coaches move line ups around 

Then do it at the end of the match. At the scorers table.  That way the points can still be earned, coaches can manipulate their lineup, and the kid still helps the team.  That way less time is wasted raising hands, and the crowd is not disgusted with a bunch of forfeits.