Sign in to follow this  
BrisFan

Spring Meeting Minutes Clarification

Can anyone explain what this means? from the Spring meeting.

"Take top 6 from each region to state making 30 of 32 spots on the bracket also using the current roll up plan 2 regions will qualify a 7th wrestler from each weight class to complete our 32 man bracket"

On 5/16/2019 at 9:53 AM, grappler-of-old said:

Just to be devil's advocate.  Will there be 6 wrestlers in each wt. class in each region? 

I don’t think so... there were some weights (mostly uppers) where each wrestler was an automatic qualifier due to there only being four wrestlers in the weight class.  

7 hours ago, Dblev275 said:

I don’t think so... there were some weights (mostly uppers) where each wrestler was an automatic qualifier due to there only being four wrestlers in the weight class.  

This is what I was referring to.  Many brackets will be short wrestlers in some regions. 

I understand that however this was proposed and will be voted on by the coaches. As of now its not a set thing. again the point of this to to try and eliminated as many byes as possible at the state tournamment. I a parent or wrestler has any issues with something they read in the minutes, I would highly suggest they urge their caoches to attend the Spring and Fall meetings and make their voices heard.

4 hours ago, Bulldoglife said:

I understand that however this was proposed and will be voted on by the coaches. As of now its not a set thing. again the point of this to to try and eliminated as many byes as possible at the state tournamment. I a parent or wrestler has any issues with something they read in the minutes, I would highly suggest they urge their caoches to attend the Spring and Fall meetings and make their voices heard.

To be fair, you would have to know when those meetings are in order to attend. 

Question:  Does the middle school not follow the 5 match rule?  I just looked at the state tourney from last year and many wrestled 6 matches and I saw 3 kids wrestle 8 matches at the state tourney at 140, 152, and 240.  WOW 

9 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Question:  Does the middle school not follow the 5 match rule?  I just looked at the state tourney from last year and many wrestled 6 matches and I saw 3 kids wrestle 8 matches at the state tourney at 140, 152, and 240.  WOW 

They havent followed the 5 match rule for almost a decade GOO, get out from under your rock, lol.  MS is lined up with USA wrestling, and therefore does not have a match limit. 

• Upvote 1

The rock is to heavy:D plus I like the solitude.  You know ignorance is bliss and I am very blissful.  lol. 

I was just thinking that 6 from a region is tough.  Maybe top 5 that gives 25 in a wt. class. Give maybe 2 wildcards then give the #1's from each region a bye. Then you can still have an alternate and not have to wrestle to the 8th place to get that alternate in every region. 

Yes I know the argument is the loss of team points for the #1 seeded wrestlers.  I have struggled with this also. I have always thought that if the bye is placed then the wrestler should get pin points for the bye.  If the bye is a random draw then no pin points allotted. 

This makes sense to me because you are already conceding that they would win the match and most likely pin a much lower seed anyway. And why not reward a regional champion? 

On 5/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, plantmanky1 said:

To be fair, you would have to know when those meetings are in order to attend. 

Those meetings are the same every year and posted in the By laws which every coach was rrequire to sign an acknowledgement form that they read them. The only thing that changes is the Venue for the meetings. The spring meeting was posted in the coaches forum and sent out via list serv to all MS and Youth coaches well in advance  of  the meeting with the venue and time.    

Bylaw 3. Meetings The KFWC will hold two statewide meetings annually. The meetings shall be held on the 3 rd Sunday in April & the 3rd Sunday in September each year. Meeting site shall be located centrally within the state of Kentucky at a public location adequate in size. The time and specific location of meetings shall be announced on KFWC website (http://www.kentuckyusawrestling.org/page/show/1031369-middle-school-elementary) at a minimum of 30 days in advance. The KFWC president shall send out email notification to all member teams 1 month in advance, provided a valid email address is on file with the KFWC.

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Yes I know the argument is the loss of team points for the #1 seeded wrestlers.  I have struggled with this also. I have always thought that if the bye is placed then the wrestler should get pin points for the bye.  If the bye is a random draw then no pin points allotted. 

This makes sense to me because you are already conceding that they would win the match and most likely pin a much lower seed anyway. And why not reward a regional champion? 

GOO

What you say makes sense however we are a bodyof coaches, 1 person or even the board does not make the rules. They are adapted and adopted by the body thats what sets us apart from the other wrestling organization that shall not be named. We as the board do have some power to override if it is necessary  however that should only be the case. 

Ahh but the majority is not always right.  I have been around longer than I can remember and I have seen that most of the time the coaches vote for what is best for THEIR team not the whole. If you have ever been to a seed meeting it is most evident.  Coaches will vie and strategize what is best for their team to win the tournament.  Some will vote a kid into a higher or lower seed so that this will happen.  I've even seen them use this strategy with their own kids.  

In a perfect world there would be a committee that is dedicated to what is best for wrestling period, to make the decisions.  Not everyone will be happy with any decision made.  Sometimes decisions must be made that does not help the majority of teams but is better for the future of wrestling. 

But I am an old senile "never was" so what do I know. 

As usual these are the opinions of GOO nothing more nothing less.  You can take them or leave them in the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. 

GOO OUT

On 5/24/2019 at 11:06 PM, grappler-of-old said:

Ahh but the majority is not always right.  I have been around longer than I can remember and I have seen that most of the time the coaches vote for what is best for THEIR team not the whole. If you have ever been to a seed meeting it is most evident.  Coaches will vie and strategize what is best for their team to win the tournament.  Some will vote a kid into a higher or lower seed so that this will happen.  I've even seen them use this strategy with their own kids.  

In a perfect world there would be a committee that is dedicated to what is best for wrestling period, to make the decisions.  Not everyone will be happy with any decision made.  Sometimes decisions must be made that does not help the majority of teams but is better for the future of wrestling. 

But I am an old senile "never was" so what do I know. 

As usual these are the opinions of GOO nothing more nothing less.  You can take them or leave them in the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. 

GOO OUT

GOO you have a point however as a non profit organization we must abided by certain laws as to how we operate.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Bulldoglife said:

we are now running a 32 man bracket with 32 wrestlers. Your coach can explain the process. If you need a better explanation. 

So will this mean that the bracket will be set up so you will not have a situation where a kid can lose to the same wrestler twice before the medal round?