Stephens

Kentucky USA folkstyle state March 2nd and 3rd

My thing is I try to support our in state tournaments as much as possible. If I go to Trackwrestling and see 1 person or 30 people registered I register my girls. Without in state support our in state tournaments will never grow.

I've already registered my 2 for KWOA  as well. When the freestyle tournaments start populating Trackwrestling I'll sign them up for those as well. We have to be the ones to grow them whether your wrestler is male or female.

I can understand that. We all have drives to make. I make them quit often in the "offseason". Drive to Whitley for camps, drive to Union for camps, drive to Hardin for tournament. I'd drive to Calloway if they had a tournament in the offseason. Hell, I drive to Oklahoma and North Dakota. Point is everyone on here asks if the tournament is a good one or not. I want to see our state grow their numbers and I'm all in.

11 hours ago, Wrestledad said:

My thing is I try to support our in state tournaments as much as possible. If I go to Trackwrestling and see 1 person or 30 people registered I register my girls. Without in state support our in state tournaments will never grow.

I've already registered my 2 for KWOA  as well. When the freestyle tournaments start populating Trackwrestling I'll sign them up for those as well. We have to be the ones to grow them whether your wrestler is male or female.

Wrestledad,  I can appreciate your view on supporting in state events however, this can be an expensive sport. 

Expense is relative to each family so I only consider value.  If we travel to a very small in state event and cannot get at least a couple of competitive matches then this is not a good value. Some people are only chasing awards. I would rather my kids get really good competetion . The fact that the tournament director will not allow wrestling up divisions to get better competetion  means there  is almost no value in attending these events.  

• Like 1

Completely agree with Braves coach. I don’t mind spending money if it’s worth it. We don’t really care about a medal, we are looking for beneficial match ups. We travel around the Nation all the time, but prefer the ones with several of good matches. 

• Like 1

If you’re interested in quality matches and not awards, then wrestle a gang of exhibition matches. That’s been our experience, anyway. We had one kid wrestle 10 matches in one day at an in state USA wrestling tournament. They don’t turn down matches like that. We even had a 182 pounder wrestle exhibitions all the way up to heavyweight. I think they don’t let kids bump around due to USA Wrestling rules and guidelines. That doesn’t have to determine whether or not you attend tournaments, though, if what you’re wanting are quality matches. If you can see what kids are entered and are wanting those matches, it’s still worth it to go. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

ATTENTION!

Due to impending weather we are moving the girls to Saturday 3-2 alongside the boys event.  

weigh in times will be the same (session times will be as close as we can manage)

Weigh-Ins:  8:00 (Session 1 & 2)     11:00 (Session 2)

All weigh ins will be in Singlets or 2 piece. 2 piece, (both pieces must be worn during weigh in) No Exceptions!!

All Wrestlers must be in the weigh in area in wrestling attire at the start of weigh ins. No weight cutting will be permitted once weigh ins begin. NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Check-In:  ALL WRESTLERS NEED TO CHECK-IN NO LATER THAN 1 HOUR PRIOR TO WHEN THEY ARE SCHEDULED TO WRESTLE

COMPETITION SCHEDULE:

Session 1   10:00 A.M.:  6U PEE WEE-12U NOVICE 

Session 2   12:30 P.M.:  14U SCHOOLGIRL-USAJUNIOR

• Downvote 1

On 2/27/2019 at 8:46 AM, GentleBeard said:

If you’re interested in quality matches and not awards, then wrestle a gang of exhibition matches. That’s been our experience, anyway. We had one kid wrestle 10 matches in one day at an in state USA wrestling tournament. They don’t turn down matches like that. We even had a 182 pounder wrestle exhibitions all the way up to heavyweight. I think they don’t let kids bump around due to USA Wrestling rules and guidelines. That doesn’t have to determine whether or not you attend tournaments, though, if what you’re wanting are quality matches. If you can see what kids are entered and are wanting those matches, it’s still worth it to go. 

You have had different experience than I have had going to these tournaments. Trying to get exhibition matches is like pulling teeth. You get no help from the tournament directors and the referees act put out about it.

• Upvote 1

My two are signed up.  One has some entrants in his class, the other does not.  If nothing else, we get to waive the flag and school colors, make a showing, and eat at the only Lee's Chicken that has a buffet.

I wish more teams would post some positivity that they are going. Caldwell and Carr could say that they are bringing teams, then more teams would say they are too. Get the ball rolling. 

• Like 1

2018 Spring Classic - 310

Bullitt Co freestyle - 78

Blue Collar freestyle - 100

2018 Freestyle State - 109

Unfortunately not too abnormal. I really wish we could get more kids out for spring wrestling. I realize there are a lot of regional and national events, but spring is a fun season, and would be much better if there was more competition