Stephens

Kentucky USA folkstyle state March 2nd and 3rd

Don't miss your shot at a Triple Crown!!!  Schoolboy and up win folkstyle, freestyle and greco and earn your triple crown this year.

Folkstyle State:

March 2nd (mens) and 3rd (womens) at Taylor County High School

Men's registration http://www.trackwrestling.com/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=127778132

Women's registration http://www.trackwrestling.com/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=125726132

2019 KYUSA Womens Folkstyle State Tournament (revised).docx

2019 Mens KYUSA Folkstyle State Tournament.docx

Triple Crown Rules.docx

Coaches, please make sure to get this info out to your kids. These coaches put a lot of time and efforts to give our kids offseason opportunities,  we need to take advantage of them. 

1 hour ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Planning to bring some kids. Will we get to see who is registered?

Im bringing some both days as well, like to see who will be there.

I know they dont release them because they think if numbers are low, people wont come, but it works both ways. 

They need to open up registration  and wrestlers list to public. We have twice went to events where there was a 3 man round robin combining 2 weight classes. You won’t get commitments from coaches until they can see the list and connect with other teams and talk them into bringing more kids/better competition. Look what happened with the FS/Greco State last year. The secrets cost them competitors. IMO

10 hours ago, gameface said:

They need to open up registration  and wrestlers list to public. We have twice went to events where there was a 3 man round robin combining 2 weight classes. You won’t get commitments from coaches until they can see the list and connect with other teams and talk them into bringing more kids/better competition. Look what happened with the FS/Greco State last year. The secrets cost them competitors. IMO

I agree. I took my son to he KWOA last year and  there was no one in his weight ( which was surprising considering he was 11 and 110 lbs) and only one in the weight above him so they combined the two and he wrestled the same kid twice. Then had beg and plead to get an exhibition match. Driving 5 hrs round trip is drag for a day like that. Certainly want to take him again but it is difficult to make the commitment and risk wasting another day.

Off season tournaments need to invest in better awards and actually post the pictures of what they are when they post the event flier. If you watch the NuWay tournaments, everyone goes for the awards. This creates more numbers and better competition. Also Spatola has put together nice awards, belts in the past and now shields. Kids want trophies and big awards. Parents want trophies and big award. Little 1/2 dollar medals with generic print does not create excitement when they can cross the river to Ohio, Indiana or West Virginia and get huge awards and loaded brackets for just a couple $$ more at the entry fee. People in this sport don’t mind spending the money if they see the value!! 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 8:19 AM, Stephens said:

Don't miss your shot at a Triple Crown!!!  Schoolboy and up win folkstyle, freestyle and greco and earn your triple crown this year.

Folkstyle State:

March 2nd (mens) and 3rd (womens) at Taylor County High School

Men's registration http://www.trackwrestling.com/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=127778132

Women's registration http://www.trackwrestling.com/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=125726132

2019 KYUSA Womens Folkstyle State Tournament (revised).docx

2019 Mens KYUSA Folkstyle State Tournament.docx

Triple Crown 

Could i please have a contact number for the person responsible for organizing these events. 

The matrix is now available for you to view on the Men's tournament on Saturday the 2nd and Women's tournament on Sunday the 3rd. It is also available for the J.Finley (KWOA Classic) on the 9th. 

Please use this as stated above to encourage coaches and athletes to sign up.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ccbcdeke said:

The matrix is now available for you to view on the Men's tournament on Saturday the 2nd and Women's tournament on Sunday the 3rd. It is also available for the J.Finley (KWOA Classic) on the 9th. 

Please use this as stated above to encourage coaches and athletes to sign up.

Thanks.

Fyi- you can see the wrestlers by going to registration link and clicking wrestler matrix. 

*if you just go to the event page and click wrestlers, they dont show

13 hours ago, Hunter arthur said:

What age group do I compete in? Cadet says “16u (birth year 2003-2004.)” so since I’m 16 but was born in 2002 am I junior or cadet this year 

You will compete in the Junior age group. Trackwrestling will place you into the correct age group at registration.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, KY/USA Admin said:

No, USA rules state that you cannot go up from schoolgirl to Cadet.  

I attached the USA weight/age chart for you.  

Weights.pdf

Funny. I would bet that they combine weights and divisions in order actually get the kids who show up at least a match. 

I've been to most all of the spring events the past few years, and while I've seen multiple weight classes combined, I can't recall ever seeing divisions combined. I wouldn't have minded it on those numerous occasions when it was a round robin of two kids. That's not to say it hasn't happened, but I didn't notice it with any of our kids.  

Haven’t seen it happen at a folk style event yet, but definitely seen it at freestyle and Greco events. Which makes me wonder, if someone for example weighs in at 106 and they lost to someone who weighs in at 113. Since they combined weight classes, does that make the 106 kid still eligible to win the triple crown if they win freestyle and Greco state at 106.

Yes, if an athlete weighs in and makes weight for a weight class, and participation forces combining weight classes, then the athlete gets credit for weight class they weighed in for. Most likely, we will not combine weight classes to avoid this scenario if at all possible. If the situation requires, we will have a true second or a weight class specific wrestle off to dertermine the winner of a weight class that is contested with no clear champion.

The only time that age groups are, or appear to be crossed would be in the cadet to junior division. A wrestler that is of the cadet age group is eligable to wrestle in the Junior division, if he or she is in highschool grades 9 - 12. A cadet that is in the 8th grade is not eligable. All age groups Peewee - Cadet are birthyear designated. Junior is grade designated. That is what is followed at the national level, and what we follow.

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, KY/USA Admin said:

No, USA rules state that you cannot go up from schoolgirl to Cadet.  

I attached the USA weight/age chart for you.  

Weights.pdf

So in the past when there wasn’t enough wrestlers for a weight class or age group, why was it allowed to combine? These were sanctioned USA tournaments. I thought it was up to the tournament director discretion to allow combined classes.  I think we’d rather have the wrestlers competing if their willing to bump up in weight or age group than not competing at all. IMO I know we have  at least 6-10 wanting to compete for the triple crown but don’t want to come down to wrestle a 2 man round robin. 

• Upvote 1

Not to sound dumb, but does scratch weight mean that if they register at 138lbs and weigh in at 139lbs they dont get to compete? Or do they get bumped to the next weight?

14 hours ago, gameface said:

So in the past when there wasn’t enough wrestlers for a weight class or age group, why was it allowed to combine? These were sanctioned USA tournaments. I thought it was up to the tournament director discretion to allow combined classes.  I think we’d rather have the wrestlers competing if their willing to bump up in weight or age group than not competing at all. IMO I know we have  at least 6-10 wanting to compete for the triple crown but don’t want to come down to wrestle a 2 man round robin. 

We typically allow kids to bump up an age division to wrestle exhibition matches all they want. We do not coordinate or bracket them though.

I can tell you we’ve gone to USA events and when there wasn’t enough participants for a age group or weight group, the brackets were written it and combined. I’ve seen them offer the award for the weight/age class that had only 1 kid in it but then moved the kid at weigh ins into another bracket. Why can’t a wrestler that wants to wrestle and their class has no other wrestler, bump up in weight and age to compete? Maybe Jon Carr can weigh in from a Ky USA standpoint?

• Upvote 1