Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

State finals location

14 minutes ago, mac00135 said:

Why not travel the state tournament to multiple locations across the state much the same as the NCAA does? Have 4-6 locations on a rotation. Let other venues/areas/cities bid into the rotation.

Over here in Calloway, we make the 4 hour trip to Alltech on an annual basis and stay in hotels for a couple of nights.  For some schools, kids get to sleep in their own beds for this tournament and there is no additional cost to the programs.

I've seen a lot of "that's too far of a trip to go to Murray." We have zero issues going to Alltech. Furthermore, for the state tournament, I would have zero issues driving another couple hours past Alltech...if I knew that the tournament was coming to the western side the next season.

Just a thought. I understand it would take planning and coordination on behalf of the KHSAA to get sites and schedules worked out for years in advance but I think that is a compromise that coaches could agree to.

Very good point. Be a nice change for some to be in Western Ky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac00135 said:

Why not travel the state tournament to multiple locations across the state much the same as the NCAA does? Have 4-6 locations on a rotation. Let other venues/areas/cities bid into the rotation.

Over here in Calloway, we make the 4 hour trip to Alltech on an annual basis and stay in hotels for a couple of nights.  For some schools, kids get to sleep in their own beds for this tournament and there is no additional cost to the programs.

I've seen a lot of "that's too far of a trip to go to Murray." We have zero issues going to Alltech. Furthermore, for the state tournament, I would have zero issues driving another couple hours past Alltech...if I knew that the tournament was coming to the western side the next season.

Just a thought. I understand it would take planning and coordination on behalf of the KHSAA to get sites and schedules worked out for years in advance but I think that is a compromise that coaches could agree to.

In theory that sounds easy to do, but in practicum its not.  For the size facilities you are talking, getting all those facilities to keep those dates open just once every 3-4 years is tough.  Signing a 3 year date is a lot easier.  

A bird told me that the Horse Park gave KHSAA till the end of April to resign a new contract.  

2 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

In theory that sounds easy to do, but in practicum its not.  For the size facilities you are talking, getting all those facilities to keep those dates open just once every 3-4 years is tough.  Signing a 3 year date is a lot easier.  

A bird told me that the Horse Park gave KHSAA till the end of April to resign a new contract.  

So there's a chance we can be back at the Horse Park next year... 

On 2/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, rjs4470 said:

I simply don’t get why they haven’t moved away from bout sheets and to live, matside scoring on track.  In addition to being faster, people can follow matches and scoring live on the dashboard online.  

Some people are afraid of improvement. The ole well if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. So I agree 100%

11 hours ago, take em to the mat said:

Some people are afraid of improvement. The ole well if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. So I agree 100%

I really wish they'd go to live scoring. I want to know who's on every mat and what the scores are. I closed down the office, made the drive, paid for the hotel, and paid admission to see every match. It's hard enough to catch every match for your own team much less trying to catch the great 2nd round matchups when 8 mats are going wide open. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBaker said:

I really wish they'd go to live scoring. I want to know who's on every mat and what the scores are. I closed down the office, made the drive, paid for the hotel, and paid admission to see every match. It's hard enough to catch every match for your own team much less trying to catch the great 2nd round matchups when 8 mats are going wide open. 

Got to keep everything state of the art. I feel using track will enhance the experience for spectators and wrestlers alike. Therefore, gaining more viewers/fans via track. 

2 hours ago, panthers said:

As we approach the end of April is there any news yet as to location of State.

Board of Control meets May 7th and May 8th, I would think then or at least a narrowed down list of venues.