Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

State finals location

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I simply don’t get why they haven’t moved away from bout sheets and to live, matside scoring on track.  In addition to being faster, people can follow matches and scoring live on the dashboard online.  

Yes!!!!!

The only reason I have heard is that the KHSAA is afraid of Track crashing due to all the traffic happening and the WiFi at the HorsePark not being the best. Doesn’t seem like a good excuse because you could just go back to the paper bouts if the system does crash so the tournament can keep going.

I might be one of the few people that’s not in favor of running the state tournament on track. Unless the WiFi gets a major upgrade and they continue to announce each match and not use a digital bout board. 

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

I simply don’t get why they haven’t moved away from bout sheets and to live, matside scoring on track.  In addition to being faster, people can follow matches and scoring live on the dashboard online.  

The $2500.00 per day charge to access the horse park internet probably has something to do with that. 

1 hour ago, plantmanky1 said:

The $2500.00 per day charge to access the horse park internet probably has something to do with that. 

Yeah. Be a shame to cut into that 95% profit margin on the event to make it run more efficiently. 

NKU has no hotels real close, none within walking distance at all.  Also limited restaurant access.   However, they are in the process of developing a retail center at the main entrance to the university and have a lot of land very near BB&T Arena that could be developed in the future.  

1 hour ago, Coachpat said:

NKU has no hotels real close, none within walking distance at all.  Also limited restaurant access.   However, they are in the process of developing a retail center at the main entrance to the university and have a lot of land very near BB&T Arena that could be developed in the future.  

Nothing within walking distance at Alltech either so that’s a wash. The Newport/Covington/Florence area has more than enough hotels for this event. 

1 hour ago, Coachpat said:

How close do hotels need to be?  Yes, none are in walking distance, but there are plenty of hotels within a 10-15 minute drive.  And there are more than enough restaurants, especially when you consider downtown Cincinnati.  There are issues with holding the event at BB&T...lack of amenities is not one of them.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:31 AM, Coachpat said:

There three hotels five minutes away in Wilder at the botttom of hill and two more in Newport within ten minutes.

11 hours ago, Alf said:

There three hotels five minutes away in Wilder at the botttom of hill and two more in Newport within ten minutes.

But the traffic in NKY is worse than Lexington. 71/75 makes me feel like I should be in a mental institution every time I drive through there. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

It's only bad crossing the river into the buckeye state. 275 is where you do most of your traveling to get to NKU.

But NKU is not a good site because of geography, it is no where near centrally located, western Ky would have to travel way to far. 

1 hour ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

But the traffic in NKY is worse than Lexington. 71/75 makes me feel like I should be in a mental institution every time I drive through there. 

It's only what your use to.  I feel the same way on 75 going through Lexington. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

It's only bad crossing the river into the buckeye state. 275 is where you do most of your traveling to get to NKU.

But NKU is not a good site because of geography, it is no where near centrally located, western Ky would have to travel way to far. 

Is NKU that much less central than Corbin or Murray?

40 minutes ago, VisionQuest said:

Murray is 400 miles 1 way from some Eastern Ky schools.  Corbin or Northern Ky more reasonable.  

So I thought for fun I would look up California State, its held in Bakersfield.  Some teams in northern California are over 600 miles away. 10- 11 hr drive. Holy cow! Just a little perspective 

Texas is in Cypress(outside Houston). If you had a team in El paso, your looking at over 700 miles!

4 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Maybe you should.  LoL

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, rjs4470 said:

Tennessee has gone to all Track with a digital bout board. Works well. Not sure about the internet situation, though. 

Why not travel the state tournament to multiple locations across the state much the same as the NCAA does? Have 4-6 locations on a rotation. Let other venues/areas/cities bid into the rotation.

Over here in Calloway, we make the 4 hour trip to Alltech on an annual basis and stay in hotels for a couple of nights.  For some schools, kids get to sleep in their own beds for this tournament and there is no additional cost to the programs.

I've seen a lot of "that's too far of a trip to go to Murray." We have zero issues going to Alltech. Furthermore, for the state tournament, I would have zero issues driving another couple hours past Alltech...if I knew that the tournament was coming to the western side the next season.

Just a thought. I understand it would take planning and coordination on behalf of the KHSAA to get sites and schedules worked out for years in advance but I think that is a compromise that coaches could agree to.

• Like 1