Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

State finals location

I always felt Memorial Coliseum would be ideal. Centrally located, plenty of hotels around LEXINGTON, seems to be the right size, and seating is set up way better than Alltech. Alltech is an absolute dump and it’s embarrassing to the state that we have our state tournament on essentially a dirt floor. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, take em to the mat said:

Who has imput on the location? Does KHSAA partner with the coaches association on these major decisions? 

Ha ha. The only thing they partner with the coaches on is getting the kids to the event. 

19 minutes ago, take em to the mat said:

That's problematic in itself. Any of the khsaa officials ever wrestle? If not they are clueless.

Not having wrestled, doesn’t make one clueless.  

56 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Not having wrestled, doesn’t make one clueless.  

That was a bit harsh. let's go with won't completely understand. By that I mean if you've pour everything you have into something. And an individual thats put in charge of whatever it is hasn't  never been through any of it. They won't understand how being treated as "well that's good enough" is frustrating. 

5 minutes ago, take em to the mat said:

That was a bit harsh. let's go with won't completely understand. By that I mean if you've pour everything you have into something. And an individual thats put in charge of whatever it is hasn't  never been through any of it. They won't understand how being treated as "well that's good enough" is frustrating. 

You couldnt be more wrong than you are right now, specifically as it refers to the topic at hand. 

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Ha ha. The only thing they partner with the coaches on is getting the kids to the event. 

That and venue sites making sure they dont sign contracts with other groups. 

So are they planning on girls going at the same time? I hope that's not the case. I haven't even heard that KHSAA is going to take over the girls tournament yet and frankly, I like that the girls have a chance to make the big show with the boys if they're good enough. Most of the girls wrestle on their high school teams and if they're good enough to make varsity they should have a shot at State. Right now the girl state was just an everyone and anyone can go with no qualifier and no real recognition by the state. At current state of girls wrestling I hope we dont take away an opportunity for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PABacon said:

So are they planning on girls going at the same time? I hope that's not the case. I haven't even heard that KHSAA is going to take over the girls tournament yet and frankly, I like that the girls have a chance to make the big show with the boys if they're good enough. Most of the girls wrestle on their high school teams and if they're good enough to make varsity they should have a shot at State. Right now the girl state was just an everyone and anyone can go with no qualifier and no real recognition by the state. At current state of girls wrestling I hope we dont take away an opportunity for them.

As of now khsaa is not sanctioning it, but talking with Mike Barren, they are monitoring the numbers. Mr. Barren told me that they are not just tracking numbers, but also reporting them nationally.  He said that woth the growth we had this year they will have to take a "hard look" at it over the next year or two. 

Just my opinion, but if we see the same growth over the next 2 years, we will be sanctioned in 3 or 4 years. Again, thats just the feeling i have. 

We’ve all been doing this for several years and I enjoy reading all the comments from people all over the state that have the same love and passion for this sport as I do. However, name one time, anyone on the committee has commented or taking part in a discussion with this group or the coaches association to find out what the wrestling community really wants and how  it can be accomplished. We all know that Mike Barren runs the KHSAA wrestling and Julian Tackett runs all of KHSAA. And we know that there is a wrestling committee. But talking with one of the coaches on the committee, he stated nothing was changing unless those 2 in charge want it to change. So let’s talk about how do we get the mindset changed. What about a spring meeting for Q&A in Frankfurt with the coaches on the committee  and heads of KHSAA? Or a advocate for the wrestling community that can come back and discuss what can and can’t be done for this sport with us. What do they do for Basketball and Football differently than they do for wrestling? Lastly, When the coaches are told that the mats are being left on the floor in their current location for the finals match. How closed minded is that. It took the coaches just doing 10 minutes worth of work to break down the floor and five these athletes and fans a finals mat. The wrestlers are doing their part. We seen exciting matches and the talent level continues to grow. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, plantmanky1 said:

You couldnt be more wrong than you are right now, specifically as it refers to the topic at hand. 

Thank you for your opinion.  Good opening statement. Now explain it!!  This is what forums are for. We need everyones opinion. Maybe some good will come from everyones input. 

There are Coaches on the advisory committee and they talk with Mike Barren. I will say the Khsaa is hard to work with, but they have taken some suggestions and made things better. After the 4 mat thing a few years ago, they listened. They moved quarters to friday night to provide time for the medal rounds first, then a one mat final. 

They have also worked with the KYWCA and allowed us to provide bracket boards and a secondary award to go with their tiny medals. 

So while it is not ideal, perfect, or what we all wish it should be, it could and has been worse. 

Just know plenty of coaches out there try hard to get to make everyones feeling known and are trying everything they can to improve it. I know Coach Upchurch, Detwiler,  Davis, and Founder all have and continue to work with khsaa to make improvements.  

On 2/20/2019 at 1:24 PM, halfhalfhalf said:

#3 is going to be key. The girls side will be taken over at some point in the next 24 months by khsaa. The amount it grew in 1 year seems it will supersede KHSAA # of minimum teams in year 2. If khsaa is going on a 1 yr deal, then why leave horse barn (As much as it pains me to say this). 

I agree Rupp and Yum are too big. 

Broadbent is not fit for the high school. Freedom Hall... yes. Murray is far better than Corbin (See naplesme post) but the travel I agree with. BB&T at NKU looks like it could be good, but can it fit 8-10 mats??

In previous statement yes grappler-of-old 

I am aware KHSAA has nothing to do with the youth and middle I was just stating I liked the statement to moving them all.

As for the rest I like both of yours and Halfhalfhalf said: statements about things of importance for moving tourney.  We all wish it never left the Dungeon but those days are gone for good and we must look to find a great new solution. I believe for the #3 Girls wresting if KHSAA would get behind it there would be more schools have it. I tried 2 years ago to get my school to let me have an all girls team because of interest from young ladys in our school telling  me they would if not with boys and I have younger ones coming up. My schools answer was no such thing cant have unless its a khsaa certified sport. So might be others feel same way.  I do think Central located will be key due to cost of Lexington people KHSAA workers having to stay hotels if not. So I look for it to be back at horse park or somewhere else in Lexington or close by.

55 minutes ago, coachteater said:

There are Coaches on the advisory committee and they talk with Mike Barren. I will say the Khsaa is hard to work with, but they have taken some suggestions and made things better. After the 4 mat thing a few years ago, they listened. They moved quarters to friday night to provide time for the medal rounds first, then a one mat final. 

They have also worked with the KYWCA and allowed us to provide bracket boards and a secondary award to go with their tiny medals. 

So while it is not ideal, perfect, or what we all wish it should be, it could and has been worse. 

Just know plenty of coaches out there try hard to get to make everyones feeling known and are trying everything they can to improve it. I know Coach Upchurch, Detwiler,  Davis, and Founder all have and continue to work with khsaa to make improvements.  

Thanks to the KYWCA for doing that. I know that the wrestlers appreciate it. Compared to the medal from a couple of years ago, the award plaque was a much better presentation, too! The bracket boards are awesome!

17 hours ago, raidercoach said:

I always felt Memorial Coliseum would be ideal. Centrally located, plenty of hotels around LEXINGTON, seems to be the right size, and seating is set up way better than Alltech. Alltech is an absolute dump and it’s embarrassing to the state that we have our state tournament on essentially a dirt floor. 

It would, the downside would be parking, as Classes would be in session for Friday, as well as easier access to the floor by parents, just have to police that.  

As someone who spent countless hours in Memorial Coliseum hoping to win the student ticket lottery for basketball games, those seats in there would be awful for two long days of wrestling. Unless they remodeled it in the past 3 years, I give that a hard no go just for that simple fact. 

The very first KY State Duels was held in Memorial Coliseum in 89-90 and it was incredible.  While it would be the perfect location I don't believe that it would be feasible now because of Women's Basketball, Gymnastics and even Cheer to get 2.5 days on a weekend.   

I like the idea of EKU's Alumni Coliseum.  It's centrally located with lots of parking, but the capacity is only 6,500.  How many people normally attend the state tournament?

11 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I like the idea of EKU's Alumni Coliseum.  It's centrally located with lots of parking, but the capacity is only 6,500.  How many people normally attend the state tournament?

That is plenty of space.

29 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Enough seating, but floor is not big enough for the mats. Google it and you can see from the pics. Its not much bigger then the basketball court itself

Screenshot_20190222-143519_Google.jpg

2 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

As someone who spent countless hours in Memorial Coliseum hoping to win the student ticket lottery for basketball games, those seats in there would be awful for two long days of wrestling. Unless they remodeled it in the past 3 years, I give that a hard no go just for that simple fact. 

major renovations are planned.   They already installed a video board that's insanely big. parking would be an absolute nightmare. There just isn't any around there at all. They'd have to shuttle ppl from parking garages nearby

28_181118HighPoint_10_EJ.jpg

1 hour ago, CradleKY said:

major renovations are planned.   They already installed a video board that's insanely big. parking would be an absolute nightmare. There just isn't any around there at all. They'd have to shuttle ppl from parking garages nearby

28_181118HighPoint_10_EJ.jpg

cool atmosphere, but again not nearly enough space.  In this configuration, you'd be lucky to get 6 mats down.  6 would be tight and lead to safety issues and almost necessitate moving back to 3 day tournament.

as awful as it is to say, out of all of the suggestions given... Alltech still has the most boxes checked.

I’m guessing 6 mats would not be an issue as there would be no seating on the floor. That would slow things down a little, but that could be offset by more efficiently using a bullpen system rather than corralling everyone until the bout sheet gets to the mat. 

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

I’m guessing 6 mats would not be an issue as there would be no seating on the floor. That would slow things down a little, but that could be offset by more efficiently using a bullpen system rather than corralling everyone until the bout sheet gets to the mat. 

I simply don’t get why they haven’t moved away from bout sheets and to live, matside scoring on track.  In addition to being faster, people can follow matches and scoring live on the dashboard online.