Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

State finals location

Freedom Hall or BB&T Arena at NKU seem like the best fits to me.

Both are decently located, also in areas that actually wrestle 

The arenas would not look empty 

the only downside would the ability to fit 8 mats like said above, an easy fix to this could be to make state 3 days instead of 2, many other states already do this

8 minutes ago, Wkywrestler said:

the only downside would the ability to fit 8 mats like said above, an easy fix to this could be to make state 3 days instead of 2, many other states already do this

3 days it not happening. 

22 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

#3 is going to be key. The girls side will be taken over at some point in the next 24 months by khsaa. The amount it grew in 1 year seems it will supersede KHSAA # of minimum teams in year 2. If khsaa is going on a 1 yr deal, then why leave horse barn (As much as it pains me to say this). 

I agree Rupp and Yum are too big. 

Broadbent is not fit for the high school. Freedom Hall... yes. Murray is far better than Corbin (See naplesme post) but the travel I agree with. BB&T at NKU looks like it could be good, but can it fit 8-10 mats??

Broadbent is terrible just as dusty and dirty as The Horse Park and busses pay $25 to park everyone else is $10 everytime you enter not a daily rate its a per day.

21 minutes ago, Bulldoglife said:

Broadbent is terrible just as dusty and dirty as The Horse Park and busses pay $25 to park everyone else is $10 everytime you enter not a daily rate its a per day.

I know... Ive been there. I should of amended my post to say if they fix parking issues at Freedom. I think it's complete BS how they do it in Lville.  

7 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

I know... Ive been there. I should of amended my post to say if they fix parking issues at Freedom. I think it's complete BS how they do it in Lville.  

I cant belive how they run out of concessions evry year charge so much to park its ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, Wkywrestler said:

I'm almost certain BB&T can fit 8 mats.  The problem with BB&T is tying it up for 3 days (1 evening of set up, 2 days of wrestling) during basketball season.  Just at first glance, at least this season, they don't have a stretch of Thurs-Saturday completely free of men's/women's basketball the entire month of February.  I'm guessing the same will be true next year.  Plus, it's still going be a 3-4 hour drive for a portion of the state.  

While I don't love Alltech for wrestling, I still don't understand why so many hate it.  And while Ky's state tourney isn't the best (or even close) in terms of venue and atmosphere, it certainly isn't the worst either.  There are still states that hold their tourney in a high school gym.  And if you listen to other sports throughout the state, you hear just as much, if not more griping about the State Championship/tourneys.  I agree, that many times wrestling gets the short end of the stick in KY, it's also not nearly as bad as many wrestling fans like to make it out to be, and the whining/"no one cares about wrestling in this state" position so many in the sport take, doesn't do anything to make the situation better, and makes people further tune out the sport.

I think the biggest issue with the Horse Park are for those with allergies. I know a few who have problems there in this aspect.  I am not sure this is a good setting for spectators and participants with allergies. 

Oh I remember the days when the state tourney was held at Atherton High School.  Yes I am that old. 

The team rode Sabertooth tigers to the tourney. :D

3 hours ago, CradleKY said:

Racer Arena is in middle of campus so parking would be a huge issue. 10,000 students using campus at the same time as state tourney.  CFSB Center has its own parking lot and better restrooms/concessions.  Man I loved playing pick up games in Racer arena and wish I could've seen a game there once. 

Parking was a pain. I usually just parked in the grass. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

I think the biggest issue with the Horse Park are for those with allergies. I know a few who have problems there in this aspect.  I am not sure this is a good setting for spectators and participants with allergies. 

Oh I remember the days when the state tourney was held at Atherton High School.  Yes I am that old. 

The team rode Sabertooth tigers to the tourney. :D

Was just watching some footage from 1992 back in atherton. I remember a pretty loud crowd in there. 

46 minutes ago, take em to the mat said:

I can't help but think, Shouldn't this have been settled before now??????? A new location should have been secured long before this season was over. 

One would think so

Why does everyone think Rupp and Yum would be to big? Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan are all held in arena. Freedom Hall or Yum would be more than ideal. 

"Build it and they will come"

Schedule realignment, with actual backing from KHSAA all season long, Not just state finals. 

Get KHSAA to encourage the none program schools to start programs.

Ranger, you shouldn't reveal your age like that. LOL, I loved Atherton. Everyone packed in like sardines and the excitement for our sport. The facility might not be what we  want to be in, but nothing compares to the energy that was in that building those years.

15 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Was just watching some footage from 1992 back in atherton. I remember a pretty loud crowd in there. 

12 hours ago, Rtrburn76 said:

Why does everyone think Rupp and Yum would be to big? Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan are all held in arena. Freedom Hall or Yum would be more than ideal. 

"Build it and they will come"

Schedule realignment, with actual backing from KHSAA all season long, Not just state finals. 

Get KHSAA to encourage the none program schools to start programs.

It has not happened at Altech.  When we moved from Atherton to the Dungeon, the Dungeon was slightly larger and we did not fill the stands eventually we filled the stands and the atmosphere was awesome.  Moving from the Dungeon to Altech we have not come close to filling the stands and the atmosphere is much worse.  

I like the idea of a larger (larger than the Dungeon) venue but not one where we are not close to filling. 

Moving from a facility that holds 6,000 (which we don't come close to filling) to an arena with 22,000 (Yum) or 23,000 (Rupp) is insane. 

31 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

It has not happened at Altech.  When we moved from Atherton to the Dungeon, the Dungeon was slightly larger and we did not fill the stands eventually we filled the stands and the atmosphere was awesome.  Moving from the Dungeon to Altech we have not come close to filling the stands and the atmosphere is much worse.  

I like the idea of a larger (larger than the Dungeon) venue but not one where we are not close to filling. 

Moving from a facility that holds 6,000 (which we don't come close to filling) to an arena with 22,000 (Yum) or 23,000 (Rupp) is insane. 

Personally I think part of the reason for horsebarn crowd issues are due to paying for parking and the dusty mess. Ranger and some others correct me if I am wrong but when they started charging 3-4 yrs ago to park the attendance has dipped significantly. I noticed it some last yr, but this yr it was very noticeable. 

I thought the crowd was good on Friday, but Saturday was very disappointing. I can’t speak to reasons for poor attendance (parking cost, ticket cost, dirty dusty environment, poor event management, etc). 

Bottom line is this. When we moved from Atherton to Dungeon the event sold itself and the crowd came. Moving to Alltech the event has become more of a formality than a show for the fans and spectators to enjoy. So with that and the less inviting environment, it’s no surprise we have less people coming out. 

Don’t forget the KHSAA pushed the youth event away that helped build the crowd and energy on Saturday night. 

5 hours ago, 119Rider said:

Ranger, you shouldn't reveal your age like that. LOL, I loved Atherton. Everyone packed in like sardines and the excitement for our sport. The facility might not be what we  want to be in, but nothing compares to the energy that was in that building those years.

I’ve given up pretending like I’m not old. 

6 hours ago, 119Rider said:

I agree 119Rider.  It was small, but fun.  

The geographic center of Kentucky, according to old Kentucky Transportation Cabinet road maps, is in Marion county about three miles northwest of Lebanon on KY 429.

Campbellsville in Taylor county also claims to be the geographic center of the state and there is a marker on the campus of Campbellsville University.

The population center is Boyle County. 

I would guess the cost of the tickets impact attendance more than the $5 parking.   $20 per day or $35 for the 2 day pass, I get they gotta charge something but that just seems a little steep.  Don't recall the cost in years past but this seemed pretty high. 

Atherton was hot, loud, crowded and pretty cool!  Not saying go back to a high school though, our kids deserve more in comparison to what they do for the other sports.