Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

State finals location

I would just caution those in charge in dealing with Murray State, that they know what they are getting into.  Twice we used Murray State for football and twice it was absolute hell to deal with them.  

1 hour ago, Bulldoglife said:

Middle school is not at broadbent this year as our new tournament date is already booked.

Wait they moved the tournament dates before securing a contract with the venue?

1 hour ago, plantmanky1 said:

Middle school is not at broadbent this year as our new tournament date is already booked.

Are we locked into the ridiculous, move to March or can that be proposed in the spring and changed back to the regular date with a vote in the fall?

39 minutes ago, naplesme said:

Are we locked into the ridiculous, move to March or can that be proposed in the spring and changed back to the regular date with a vote in the fall?

I just learned about this last month.  I already know of 2 coaches that will not return next year because of the longer season. 

3 hours ago, Wkywrestler said:

Murray would be a nice change of venue, that would mean a 5-6 hour drive for some EKY teams, but then again we are talking about the KHSAA so its definitely possible.

If they choose to be difficult. Do we really need them? Big hell no!!

2 hours ago, naplesme said:

The dates are locked in but can be discussed at the Board meeting in the spring, however there is a moratorium for at least a year. The date change was suggested at the 2017 fall meeting voted to be held over until our next meeting  as required where it was  approved  by the majority of the coaches at the spring meeting last year. I have attached copies of the minutes from both meetings

2018_KFWC_Spring_Minutes.pdf

KFWC_Fall_Minutes_2017.pdf

2 hours ago, naplesme said:

Im not against the shift of seasons so much as the fact that no venue contract was in place or at least pending when making the shift an option.    

Not sure how much seating diddle or Murray state has but I'd hope alot. If the state tournament is moved to the western side of the State Union will pack the stadium more than they already do.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wrastler_ said:

Not sure how much seating diddle or Murray state has but I'd hope alot. If the state tournament is moved to the western side of the State Union will pack the stadium more than they already do.

Murray's arena seats like 9k for a basketball game but guessing they'd open up the floor and only allow spectators in upper level.  its plenty big

I've been saying it for years....

We need to get on same schedule the rest of the Wrestling States are on....all levels Youth to HS.

HS Same Oct~Feb

MS and Youth start competition Jan 1st end of season tournament first of March

Freestyle/GR starts April 1st with tournament end of May

Puts you on schedule with Summer travel teams doing the Regional, Fargo trips.

Boom August is here for Football guys, Weight training for the others, Super 32, Who's #1...etc

October rolls in and we are fat and happy again...Rinse and Repeat

I pick a basketball arena like Rupp or Freedom Hall or WKU. Maybe rotate every year if possible. 

Move it back a week and change to Freedom Hall.  It's a little smaller than Alltech Arena overall but I'd bet seats about the same.

17 hours ago, Rtrburn76 said:

I've been saying it for years....

We need to get on same schedule the rest of the Wrestling States are on....all levels Youth to HS.

HS Same Oct~Feb

MS and Youth start competition Jan 1st end of season tournament first of March

Freestyle/GR starts April 1st with tournament end of May

Puts you on schedule with Summer travel teams doing the Regional, Fargo trips.

Boom August is here for Football guys, Weight training for the others, Super 32, Who's #1...etc

October rolls in and we are fat and happy again...Rinse and Repeat

I pick a basketball arena like Rupp or Freedom Hall or WKU. Maybe rotate every year if possible. 

Where ever they move the state tourney to or what is decided. I really don't think KHSAA cares about what the Wrestling coaches or community really wants or it would have never been at the horse park and the show it used to be would still be great. Whatever is done the above statement is what I wish would happen. Makes no sense to me why a middle school season would ever be 5 to 6 weeks longer than a high school season. With the new middle school ending two weeks after high school state and always starts a few weeks ahead thats what has been created.

3 hours ago, DrBaker said:

Murray also has the Racer Arena where they play volleyball. It seats 4000 and would be great. 

Racer Arena is in middle of campus so parking would be a huge issue. 10,000 students using campus at the same time as state tourney.  CFSB Center has its own parking lot and better restrooms/concessions.  Man I loved playing pick up games in Racer arena and wish I could've seen a game there once. 

1 hour ago, panthers said:

Where ever they move the state tourney to or what is decided. I really don't think KHSAA cares about what the Wrestling coaches or community really wants or it would have never been at the horse park and the show it used to be would still be great. Whatever is done the above statement is what I wish would happen. Makes no sense to me why a middle school season would ever be 5 to 6 weeks longer than a high school season. With the new middle school ending two weeks after high school state and always starts a few weeks ahead thats what has been created.

Panther:  KHSAA has no say so in the Middle School or Youth state tourney.  Neither is state sanctioned.  It is up to the coaches association to decide this. 

As for the high school state tourney. 

There is a lot to consider here.

1. Needs to be centrally located.  Make travel time as equal as possible.  Really don't want one group of teams to travel 5 hours when the rest only have to travel 2 hours. 

2. The venue does not need to be huge.  (Rupp, Yum) If you make it to big then the crowd seems small. 

3.  Venue needs to be big enough to hold 8 mats.  Getting out at a decent time on Friday and Saturday is crucial. 

There are others but to me these are the big 3. 

KHSAA is going to worry about cost and location. 

22 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

As for the high school state tourney. 

There is a lot to consider here.

1. Needs to be centrally located.  Make travel time as equal as possible.  Really don't want one group of teams to travel 5 hours when the rest only have to travel 2 hours. 

2. The venue does not need to be huge.  (Rupp, Yum) If you make it to big then the crowd seems small. 

3.  Venue needs to be big enough to hold 8 mats.  Getting out at a decent time on Friday and Saturday is crucial. 

There are others but to me these are the big 3. 

KHSAA is going to worry about cost and location. 

#3 is going to be key. The girls side will be taken over at some point in the next 24 months by khsaa. The amount it grew in 1 year seems it will supersede KHSAA # of minimum teams in year 2. If khsaa is going on a 1 yr deal, then why leave horse barn (As much as it pains me to say this). 

I agree Rupp and Yum are too big. 

Broadbent is not fit for the high school. Freedom Hall... yes. Murray is far better than Corbin (See naplesme post) but the travel I agree with. BB&T at NKU looks like it could be good, but can it fit 8-10 mats??